Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was shooting my MN 91/30 today, I noticed that the barrel was extremely hot.

I didn't really think much of it at the time, but I'm looking at my bolt right now, and the handle doesn't exactly seem to be just as it was before, and there's a part on it that seems to be slightly flatter than what I remember...

o.o' weird.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
When I was shooting my MN 91/30 today, I noticed that the barrel was extremely hot.

I didn't really think much of it at the time, but I'm looking at my bolt right now, and the handle doesn't exactly seem to be just as it was before, and there's a part on it that seems to be slightly flatter than what I remember...

o.o' weird.
Bummer, you must have really been throwing some lead down range. Exactly what part do you think doesn't look right? Hard for me to imagine that you could shoot it fast enough to melt anything. Barrel would have to get red hot to really hurt much.

Can you post pics?

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
There is nothing in the bolt that would melt before the wood stock would catch on fire from the heat.

....that is, unless someone replaced a part of the bolt that was metal with something like plastic. :34:

Give us a picture and/or tell us what part it is so we can help ya out there, bud.

·
Registered
189 Posts
OK, Ferroflame. I see ya's from Kentucky. How much of that shine ya''ll been samplin'?:alcoholic:
Like Tex said, it'd have to be red hot for it to warp the barrel and then it wouldn't affect the bolt at all. Good news is you probably sweated out any cosmo that was in her!

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I think the consensus is Ferro....you did not hurt anything. Your Mosin still loves you.:kiss:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
=P Well it was pretty hot!!

I dunno. Maybe I'm just being paranoid!!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I don't think even Superman could get a Mosin as hot as machine gets from shooting it. Those machines guns keep on going.

That reminds me of a time though. A buddy had a Mini-14, he just ripped off a 50 round magazine then handed me the rifle. As I grabbed for the rifle, the muzzle pointed at the sky, it slipped downward in his hand and I ended up getting it by the barrel. Well the barrel was red hot. Instantly there was an audible HISS as the skin burned off my hand I the webbed area between my thumb and index finger. If left a nasty blister and a painful wound to be sure. The rifle was unaffected and likely a little smug about the incident !

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I refuse to own a smug rifle. Upity little buggers!!

A long or short rifle are ok.:09:

·
Banned
1,085 Posts

o.o' weird.

I try to let my guns rest every few 1,000 rounds or so, even if they don't need it.

I don't think even Superman could get a Mosin as hot as machine gets from shooting it. Those machines guns keep on going.

That reminds me of a time though. A buddy had a Mini-14, he just ripped off a 50 round magazine then handed me the rifle. As I grabbed for the rifle, the muzzle pointed at the sky, it slipped downward in his hand and I ended up getting it by the barrel. Well the barrel was red hot. Instantly there was an audible HISS as the skin burned off my hand I the webbed area between my thumb and index finger. If left a nasty blister and a painful wound to be sure. The rifle was unaffected and likely a little smug about the incident !
Remember, though. Nearly all .30 cal machine guns, up to the M-60 era at least, are set up to swap out barrels quickly. Don't know about true assault rifles or more modern machine guns.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The more I think about this, the more it's starting to sound like a sea story. Except it didn't start out right.

What do ya think Marion?

·
Registered
209 Posts
All i know is that i think I have burned myself on more cosmo that has been sweating outta small places in my stock/rifle, like under the rear sight before i took it off, than by the barrel itself. That cosmo sure does get hot fast. And the hand guard sure doesn't keep your hand from getting burnt either, those things get hot too.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
:burnout:
The more I think about this, the more it's starting to sound like a sea story. Except it didn't start out right.

What do ya think Marion?
Hmm if it was anybody but A.H it would be a fairy tale but A.H> you know its gotta start out --now this is no Sh_t!!:09:

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
:burnout:

Hmm if it was anybody but A.H it would be a fairy tale but A.H> you know its gotta start out --now this is no Sh_t!!:09:
Ya know, Marion...I think we need to stop talking about bigfoot and start talking about this kinda stuff. Makes people believe us more.

Texas fairy tales start out the same way as sea stories. "Ya'll ain't gonna believe this sheet!"

Final last words of a *******: "Hey, Ya'll watch this!" :09::09::09:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts