Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess she doesn't like shooting cinders and red bricks..... After I got done she started to hiss at me! At first I thought it was the wind but put my ear next to the rear sight/handgaurd and heard hissing. Ya, five deep cleanings, steaming the stock, boiling the metal parts, the dang old cosmoline is still there!!!! You gotta hate this stuff. I guess I'll take the rear sight off AGAIN and clean some parts around there....

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's definately a love hate thing, you love shooting her, but then cuss her out when the secret cosmo boils onto your fingers....

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Cleaning metal, mineral spirits.

If the stock won't clean then it may be time for a strippin'.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried everything, there is NO cosmo on the rifle. But the stock has it in there, stripped it once and steamed it out for a long time. I've refinished it since but now I said screw it, the hissing adds character to my rifle. Sorta like it's talking to me. Aren't they supposed to talk to you? :D

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
you'll never get all the cosmoline out. ive got a k98 mauser i just love to pound 20 or 30 rnds thru it fast, and watch the cosmoline bubble out of the pores in the wood.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol i think the best way to get the cosmoline out of it is to just shoot the guns, I get more out that way than by just cleaning them!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Dawn Power Desolver. But then you will have to refinish it... as it strips everything... the finish and the cosmolene. On the upside there is usually some nice wood under that arsenal "refinish".:)

·
Premium Member
30,563 Posts
i just wipe em down whenever i notice it a bubblin up like texas tea.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
if you haven't got mosinitis allready, that'll give it to you for sure!

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
I guess she doesn't like shooting cinders and red bricks..... After I got done she started to hiss at me! At first I thought it was the wind but put my ear next to the rear sight/handgaurd and heard hissing. Ya, five deep cleanings, steaming the stock, boiling the metal parts, the dang old cosmoline is still there!!!! You gotta hate this stuff. I guess I'll take the rear sight off AGAIN and clean some parts around there....
A rattler mosin. Hope it dont bite ya.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not sure anyone has ever gotten all the cosmo outta a mil-surp rifle yet! i know that my 91/30 that I've been shooting for almost 6 years now still gets me sticky after a good day of shooting. lol Just the way that goes though. not to mention, I've come to expect it from my rifles and feel that I would be lost if they didn't leak on me...lol

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,716 Posts
I talk to mine too. I do get answers but WOW are they loud!!:burnout:

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
ROFL....loud?!? what??? i cant hear you <grabs headset/microfone> WHAT DID YOU SAY??? oh....well, you dont have to yell!!!!

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
She's not hissing! She's blowing in your ear!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts