Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finaly got my mosin back. I traded an rg14 ha, well for some reason the kid painted the stock green with texture paint the sling is missing, and he has to find the bayonet. The bore is full of rust so now i need to show it that i still love it. Ive managed to get most of the rust out but there is some that wont come out. What do i do to get it out?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Mop it with some Hoppes, then brush it, ALOT. Then if anything is left, just shot it. That will bring the rest out.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Throw anything you have at it. The best stuff Ive found for rust is Kroil, Gunzilla, Butchs Bore Bright and Electrolysis Cleaning. After you clean it put a few rounds downrange and do it again.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
I would add only 1 other advice, on 1 of my MNs as the hrs. went by i went up in brass brush size and settled at tipton .338. A strip of cloth 1 layer thick wrapped around the .32 like a barber pole with bristles showing in between worked well too. Good luck sncstealth.
frenchy

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Yep, there will sometimes be stuff that just won't come out. Take it out and shoot it out. Worked great with my Turk Mauser, and my 1905 Tula M91. If you're going to store it for a while wherever you keep your gun for a prolonged period, like a couple months, oil the barrel up you might get some of that rust in the hard to clean spot creeping back up on you after while.

I have a Finn 91/30 this problem happened in. The bore was like new except for this one spot that had some rust from someone not cleaning it after shooting. The bore was also pretty dirty when I bought it. I cleaned for a long time, and finally put a few rounds through it. Just warmed the barrel up a little and pulled a bore snake through it with a patch of Hoppes at the time. Worked great, bore looked amazing. So I went and cleaned it up. I will periodically check the bores to make sure nothing is growing in them, and found a little bit of rust in that one spot. So I cleaned it out, and oiled it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts