Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My nephew Justin just picked up a 1903 Colt Pocket Pistol from Accurate Arms in Temecula, CA; they were having a retirement sale before closing.

It's another Browning design, and the precursor to the 1911 Colt 45. On the slide it says, ".32 caliber rimless, smokeless."

Someone apparently took the "pocket" part of the model name seriously: it's thoroughly worn on the outside, but there aren't any holster marks. However the rifling looks new, the springs are strong, etc. He's put a couple of hundred rounds through it in the last two weeks, and it works like a new one at the age of a hundred and three.

Production started in 1903, and went to sn #4100; his sn is 46--. Since they didn't make any changes until later that year, his is the original design.

It's very solid and comfortable feeling in the hand. the pictures aren't very flattering because the strong lighting shows every little scratch and mark, and because the paneling in the room where the pics were taken affected the lighting and changed the color of the bluing to kind of a dirty brown. The gun looks better in real life.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Those are cool little guns, I would feel a lot safer having one in my pocket if I was on my way out to dinner than being totally unarmed.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are cool little guns, I would feel a lot safer having one in my pocket if I was on my way out to dinner than being totally unarmed.
Al Capone felt the way you do; he carried one in his pocket.

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One other thing: while cleaning the gun after firing it the first day, my nephew noticed something inside the magazine, riding in the middle of the spring. He had a heck of a time getting it out, because the magazine wasn't made to field strip.

It turned out to be a .25 caliber rimfire cartridge, with a copper casing instead of a brass one. He took some pictures, but they didn't come out well. When I get around to taking some more, I'll post them in the Ammo forum to see if anyone knows anything about this round.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts