Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was luckey enough about a month ago to pick up a few rifles. One of witch is this SA 1903. It appears to have been re arsenaled in 1942.

This is my first 1903 thread here at Gun and Game.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a target from the first day at the range with it. This is the only 5 shot group I shot. I was playing with all the different sights. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do better next time.

100Yrds 5 Shots:

Me at the bench with the 1903:

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
How far were you from the target JP? Nice looking rifle. Nice find.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That is a 100yrd group. Again the only 100yrd group I shot. I was busting rocks down at 200yrds and messing around with all the different rear sights. I'm pretty sure the Gun and I are capable of a better group. I called left on the shot you see to the left when I fired. My spotter confirmed I pulled it left. Ammo was Federal 150gr SP. I had yet to figure out that there is a windage knob on the rear sight. I'll zero the sights next time out.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
Yea, right after I left the post asking how far, I saw the tiny letters saying 100yds/5shot group in the upper left above the target picture. Whoops. lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
That thing looks sweet and in very good condition too. Is it just the pic or is one of the trigger guard screws not right? I'd be afraid to ask but I will anyway ..... how much? This is my first post on this forum also ...... so I'll post a pic of one of my 03s also. This is a 1923 national match 03 that was arsenal scoped. It is both cosmetically and mechanically in near perfect condition ........ estate auction .... $800 ..... 5 years ago :09:

Attachments

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Thanks guys for shareing your very nice 03's with us...Yall is lucky !!!!

lencac WELCOME to GUN and GAME feller I see this is your first post.
Enjoy the site and we hope to see you around often...A.H

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
jpwilly...I inherited my deceased FIL's 03A3 about 15 years ago and it set on my fireplace brick ledge collecting dust until about six years ago. Nobody in my wife's family valued it so they decided I should get the "white elephant." (ha) Man...were they wrong. Since then I've been motivated to learn more about that rifle than I thought possible. It was even used during my first deer hunt that same year.

Weighing about 8 lbs is a little more than I wanted to carry...so since then I've used various other 30.06's and a 30.30 which weigh in the area of 6-7 lbs. But...that 03A3 is still be most accurate open sight gun I own. Mine is dated 7/43 and has mostly Remington stamped parts, as far as I can tell. I haven't mastered the sighting set-up...but did simply sight it in at 75 yards before my first deer hunt.

Last I've read, these old 03A3's found in good shape may be valued at around $700 +/-. I posted a pic of mine in one of my earlier posts.

Ox

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Nice gun. What is the serial number range? I like the DAL stock. Is that a drawing number on the front sight cover?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lencac, The screw was loose and has been tightened - Good eye!

I paid $488 (all the cash I had left ) for it and feel that was a good deal.

The rifle is sweet. Prices on these keep going up!

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
JP, Very nice looking rifle! And I noticed that you are a fellow lefty!

Great deal on the rifle. I am fortunate enough to own two 03A3s one is sporterized and is a tack driver. Other is original and I love the thing!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yea, that appears to be a drawing number but I have nothing to referance it to. The number is C64157-4

·
Registered
129 Posts
when I got my '03 it was so rusted up that I couldn't tell what it was. traded a savage arms .25 auto and 50 bucks. brought it to my B.I.L. who is a closet gunsmith. when he was finished with it it looked new. he didn't do anything to the wood except clean it up. did a lil light brushing on the steel. Best find I ever made! Wish I had some picks ( and knew how to post them on here)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts