close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My new 61 EG Mak, God I miss those crazy East Germans

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Big Bad Wolf, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf G&G Newbie

Texas
    I just got my new 1961 (AZ****) East German Makarov this last week, all I can say is wow! I wish they still made pistols with this kind of quality. The finish had some very minor holster wear at the muzzle but that is it. The bluing is still rich and vibrant and looks like new. Now for the real kicker, the barrel has to be the cleanest that I have ever seen in a surplus firearm. The rifling is 100% and looks as if it has never been fired. I completely disassembled the pistol and gave it a super cleaning, and guess what, there was not any trace of firing residue anywhere in it. The only thing I had to clean from the internals was the 31 year old oil and cosmoline they smother in it. I have a feeling that whoever this pistol was issued to just kept it holstered and never really used it.
    After putting in a 19# Wolff spring, a Pearce Grip, I gave it a good cleaning, oiling, and a coat of Blitz cream to polish the pistol and then headed out to the range. I brought with me 250 rounds of Barnual JHP (it's all I had, and I've been needing to practice with it), it devoured everything without a single problem and then begged for more. What a super shooter! the trigger is smooth as butter and the accuracy is remarkable. Needless to say I'm very pleased with this acquisition.
    For those who are curious I paid $199 for it plus the seller threw in the 2 original EG mags, 3 more EG mags, and 2 Russian/Bulgie mags. Not a bad deal for an East German in this condition plus 7 mags total. If those 10,000 Bulgie Maks ever become a reality I pick one up and use that as my shooter. I figure if I get a Bulgie I'll put the EG away, only to use once in a while and pass it on to my son when he is older. It's too bad that Germany still doesn't make these, this kind of quality is lacking in new production firarms.

2. Hi Wolf,
    Sounds like you stumbled into quite a deal! I got my 1960 East German Mak for about the same price about 2 years ago but mine has numerous holster marks and a few minor blemishes but is otherwise like new with the same crisp rifling and flawless performance.
    Do you find that the hard plastic grips are uncomfortable or too small? I replaced mine with a set of Pierce rubber grips and ohhhhh baby!

3. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf G&G Newbie

Texas
    I'm not a fan of the Mak's plastic grips at all, it is probably the only flaw in the design of the Mak. With a snappy blowback 9x18 pistol, roughly checkered grips are not a good idea. The only plus to them is that they are thin and match the pistol well. The Pearce grips help reduce felt recoil and are super comfortable but they are mighty thick, kinda like wrapping a pillow around the gun. I wish Pearce might design another Mak grip for CCW, that is still rubber but closer in thinness to the stock grips. But then again I wish I had a million bucks too and I doubt either are coming true. ;)

4. Howdy Wolf,
    Yeah I must agree with you 100%. I do have much bigger hands than the original plastic grips were made to fit but the Pierce grips are just a tiny bit too big for me as well. Its a cozy fit but a smidgeon smaller would be nice.
    Now as for that million dollars. Just send me your address and I'll get it to you asap.

5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

My E. German Makarovs are all great shooters. Got 3 of them now, plus 2 Bulgarians, 1 Polish, and 2 Russian Maks. The only trouble I ever had with my E.German Maks was that occasionally they would not strike the primers hard enough. I replaced the mainspring and that cured the problem. Other than that, never a problem.
    I bought a set of the walnut grips from www.makarov.com, and love them. They are the best grip going for the Mak, I think. I tried the Pearce grips, but they were too fat for concealed carry. Check the website out sometime, as they have some pretty cool stuff for the Makarovs.
    Hey, CK, how about throwing some $$$ this way, too?

6. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Hi guys, bought several E.German Maks from Aimsurplus a year and a half ago. I really like them. Since then I've gotten a few more at gunshows (underpriced). Well made and underrated!

Jesse

7. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Hi Wolf, havent seen you in a whille. How have you been?

Jesse

8. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf G&G Newbie

Texas
    Hi Jesse, sorry I haven't been around much, been working everyday for the last 2 weeks, & I don't get around as much to GunandGame as I do GlockTalk, and gun forums. Nothing against GunandGame just other sites tend to have more active topics.

I got in some accessories from Makarov.com today, I got in a East German rain camo holster and mag carrier hip pack. I really like how subtle the rain camo is. Also if you work on your own Mak's I highly recommend getting the Miller Extractor remover, it really takes the hassle out taking out the extractor, well worth $15. Got in some more E.G. mags that look new, and I also picked up 2 of Karl's CCW Mak mags. I also recommend these, for $22 you get a refinished Mag body (both were EG mags), a +10% Wolff spring, new follower, and floorplate finger extension, a really good deal in my book. Also picked up one of his cleaning kit's, I really like the Breakfree cleaner/conditioner. Finally one liquid can do everything that I normally need 3 to do. Also if anyone was curious Falco holsters are top quality, better than Galco IMHO. I picked up the Falco IWB and a mag carrier, a very nice carry rig. Everytime I buy from Karl I always walk away happy, he does not stock crap.

I think next I might get some of the Simson-Suhl EG target grips. I would really like to use my Mak for CCW for now and the Pearce grips are too fat. I'll post my results here if I try it.