close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My "New" Garand

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by ltcboy, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Gentlemen--

I am actually feelinfg like a kid at Christmas. I ordered an M-1 Garand from a Mr. Tony Giacobbe from Rahway, N.J. . He rebuilt this weapon from the ground up. New barrel(.308), new stock, it just looks like a brand new weapon right out of the box. I got 10 clpis with it, a sling, and the M-1 Garand handbook. I just keep looking at this thing with total admiration for the work that this man did to restore this weapon. The sn is 2482496 on a Springfield reciever. I always read what you guys post and I am very happy to join the "Garand" family. You guys should check out his website @ www.garandguy.com.

Later,

ltcboy

2. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

You said .308 , is the chamber cut for .308 Winchester or 7.62 NATO ?

I would buy a .308 no-go & check the headspace , no matter what .

If it is chambered for 7.62 NATO , I beleave ( please correct me if I am wrong ) it can fail a .308 Win no-go & still be within NATO specs ?

When I bought a M1A , I checked the HS . It was fine , but as they say on the X-Files , " Trust No One ! " .

Wyr
    God Bless

PS Congratulations ! You will love it & 7.62 NATO ammo should work fine for plinking & is cheaper than .30-06 . :)

3. Wyr--

Mr. Giacobbe installed a new .308 barrel on the weapon. After I stripped the rifle down, I saw a white plastic like clip that was in stalled to prevent the chambering of a clip of 30.06. I called Mr. Giacobbe and he said that since the reciever was originally 30.06 he had to do this. It looks like it is fixed there for good. I want to take a picture of the rifle and post it so you can see what I am speaking of.

I have a question for you guys, I was on a website www.southernammo.com and they were selling U.S. & Isreali .308 ammo for $89.00 per thousand. They claim its boxer primed, all brass, 147grn. fmj. Is this to good to be true???

Ltcboy

4. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

I bet Tony put a new 308 barrel on it as I did myself then cut it to chamber properly. Tony isn't going to sell any guns that wouldn't work but even with this in mind I have my own head space gauges to test all of my rifles.
    Notice on his web site Tony has 100432 and 100433 in his photos. I have 100434 now thats neat for a Educationl series serial numbers. Enjoy ltcboy let us know how it shoots. Rick B

5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i noticed he has shooter grades for 550 clams on a commercial receiver, think these are CAI rebuilds???:confused:

6. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

Probably or Springfield if you call him or email him he would tell you with no problem he has always been honest with me. Rick B

7. Papa G-

When I spoke with Mr. Giacobbe he said that he uses Springfield, some Winchester, and a few IH recievers. I dont think he uses anything else. I can tell you this, the Virgin Mary Herself would be proud to fire a clip from the rifle that I purchased from him. He is very professional, and it only took four days to get my rifle. I am one happy camper.

Ltcboy

8. TKH

TKH G&G Newbie

Southern Ammo

I ordered 1000 rds from them last year for my HK-91. I would (and will) order from them again. I had no problems with any of the ammo, it fed and fired without any problems.

9. TKH--

I orderd 1000 rds. today for $89 . .308 looks like its gonna be cheap to shoot. Only problem with southern ammo is they said its gonna take 12 weeks. I ordered some S&B ammo from Cheaper than Dirt to get me buy, they were pretty reasonable also. Cannot wait to get out and shoot, going next thursday all day long.

Ltcboy

10. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

Be sure and ask for the total amount including freight . Amo is HEAVY .

I always cross check prices against the price for the same thing at CenturyArms.com . They pay the freight on ammo orders over $ 50.00 . That can make the difference .

I bought 2,000 rounds of Indian 7.62 NATO for Y2K , from Century , for around $ 100 / 1,000 .

I checked the SOG site & the $ 8900 is for slightly tarnished . I would bet the slightly dented was once linked on MG belts . Probably OK .

Wyr
    God Bless

11. Wyr-

That slightly dented ammo is supposed to be in a condition that wouldnt cause any problems firing. The guy on the phone said that more people order that than the "non-dented" ammo. He also said that the dents are so minor you really cant tell. Go figure.

Ltcboy