My New Mosin-Nagant

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by Michaelf464, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Michaelf464

Michaelf464 G&G Newbie

Thanks every one for the advice about the Mosin-Nagant, went out today and bought a Model 1891/30 Mosin-Nagant Rifle, they really are an awseme weapon.

DSC04304v2.JPG

2. Looks great. Any idea what year or where it was made?

3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Looks good Michael. What legal obstacles to you have to overcome in New Zealand to a rifle?

4. Michaelf464

Michaelf464 G&G Newbie

Yeah made in 1938, trying to decipher the rest of the writing , got a mate that reads russian so that might help

5. Michaelf464

Michaelf464 G&G Newbie

Its not to bad over here just sensible restrictions you have to get a firearms licence which is available to anyone over the age of 16 who hasnt been convicted of a violent crime or other serious criminal offences. you get your place of residence checked to show that you have a way of locking away or securing your firearms and have to provide two character witnesses to show that your suitable to own a firearm. and then you have to pass a theory test on firearms safety then you get a lisence for non-military rifles and shotguns.

6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Michael there are several threads that stay at the top of the Mosin Nagant Forum (called stickys) and they have several very good links dealing with the markings etc. They will be very beneficial in helping you identify those stamps and markings.

7. Michaelf464

Michaelf464 G&G Newbie

Cheers, ChaZam yeah i will check those out, it would be quite interesting to know the history of the rifle.

8. Michaelf464

Michaelf464 G&G Newbie

It was Manufactured in Izhevsk (Soviet Union).

9. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Very nice, thanks for sharing! :)

10. Sounds like an awful lot to me. Here in Kentucky, all you have to do is be 18 to get a longgun and 21 for a handgun then fill out the FBI questionaire when you make the purchase, which constists of your address, D.O.B., Social Security Number and some questions about your citizenship, sanity and criminal background. Don't remember them all, all I remember is answer yes to the first, no the rest and leave the last one blank, then sign and date the back. Then the seller calls the FBI to verify your info, if you pass, pay up and out the door you go.

11. Good looking rifle by the way.

12. Michaelf464

Michaelf464 G&G Newbie

Cheers yeah im pretty happy with it myself, im going to my mates farm this weekend, hopefully theres some feral goats still wandering around, yeah i heard its a lot less restrictive in the states , but its been quite good the system we have now, it keeps most firearms out of the wrong peoples hands so that we have very very few firearm related crimes, our police force is still a technically unarmed force, however that will have to change soon the criminals are catching up.

13. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Remember Michaelf most of us will never use them as a weapon and welcome to Gun and Game. Fine looking rifle, hope you find many years of enjoyment in the many uses of your firearms.
    frenchy

14. Nice Rifle or "Izzy".

So how many rifles can you own in NZ? Because once you buy one Mosin Nagant you get the "mosinitis" and will need to purchase companions for your 91/30, like an M44, Sniper, 91/59, and so on .....

15. Michaelf464

Michaelf464 G&G Newbie

Apologies Frenchy, i only recently came of an army basic training, got used to calling a rifle a weapon. Yeah thats a big no no over here, under no circumstances are you to have a firearm for the purposes of self-defence.

Cheers i hope i do as well. and i figure a rifle that is designed for one of the harshest climates , as long as i look after it should have a long lifetime.

16. Michaelf464

Michaelf464 G&G Newbie

Oh your allowed as many rifles as you have the facilities to secure, so in theory i could buy as many Mosin nagants as my heart desired, but i might limit it to one or two, i like the look of the m44's but i havent been able to track one down in my corner of the world yet, we only seem to have the 91/30's.

17. Have you cleaned the cosmoline out of it?

18. Michaelf464

Michaelf464 G&G Newbie

Sorry, Excuse my rookieness cosmoline?

19. Its a grease like substance that the Russians put in and on these Mosin Nagants to store them. The cosmoline is the reason why these rifles aren't all rusted up. If you don't get out the cosmoline you will have what is know as sticky bolt, where you wont be able to move the bolt after the shot is fired. My prefered method of getting it out is dissembling the bolt. Then taking the action and barrel out of the stock and soaking the bolt parts and the receiver in paint thinner. The paint thinner will take out most of the cosmoline. After that I dry off the parts and attach a 20 gauge bore brush to part of a cleaning rod. Then I scrub out the chamber with it. All that should get out the cosmoline and you will have a smooth shooting rifle.

20. Michaelf464

Michaelf464 G&G Newbie

oh cheers thats good advice yeah ive got a lanolin based solvent that gets all the grease out of most stuff, il give paint thinner a go though.