close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My new SKS-M Dragunov sporter

Discussion in 'SKS' started by gsbuickman, Oct 31, 2016.

1. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

This Thread was lost when the board was crashed but I also posted it in another forum and I'm glad I can bring it back.
    ==================================================
    [​IMG]*

Hiya Guys :) ,

Check out my latest acquisition, a #'s matching pre-ban AK variant SKS-M Sporter. I was actually talking to a guy yesterday evening that was interested in trading me this dragunov type thumbhole stock for the folding polymer pistol grip stock I had on my 67' SKS, which would have been fine with me because I was looking to do the same in reverse.*

The subject ** possibly trading rifles rather than tearing them apart just to change the handguards with the stocks came up, and after I got a few more details about his rifle I put 2 & 2 together and realized he could only be setting on one ** three things . *A type 84, type D or a type M so I jumped on the **fer.*

It had been sitting in his gun safe for the last six or so years before he decided to take it over to a friend's house to see if he could locate a folding polymer stock for it for him, which is how I met him.*

When I got it yesterday evening it was partially dis***embled and rather dirty because his "knowledgeable gun buddy" decided to see if it was true, that you could dunk an SKS in gooey arse mud and it would still function ok before his friend picked it up on his way to my house. Unfortunately he didn't have enough time to get ready clean get it back together so I told him not to worry about because I wanted to tear it apart and clean it anyway.*

I spent a couple hours cleaning it with Hoppes #9 and Rem-Oil because I wanted to make sure it got a good [removed]. I was happy to see how bright shiny and tight the bore is but I also noticed several other differences from all the other SKS's I've had.*

Becides the fact that it accepts AK magazines and the bolt doesn't have feed lips on it, the trigger sets farther back and is slightly angled for a smoothie pull. The regular itself is pretty nice. It's shortcrisp and has a nice break probably around 5 lbs. It doesn't accept stripper clips and it doesn't have a catch to hold the bolt open when the mag is empty. The a big difference is the gas system is considerably shorter with an oversize piston and a larger gas port *which accommodate a higher volume ** gas because Pistons Cycles much faster.*

You can find more information on it here thanks to *Yooper John :http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-23.htm*

I know the stock needs sanded down and refinished, but I'll probably pick up some stain for it tomorrow and get that taken care **. Other than that the only problem with it I'm having at the moment is the factory 6 round steel magazine is a [removed]. It refuses to feed correctly and does nothing but jam up if there's multiple rounds in the magazine, but if I only put one round in the magazine it feeds perfectly every time . I think I'll throw the magazine in an ammo crate and pick up some 20 rd. Tapco mags for it instead, that should remedy that problem.*

If I decide to keep this thing I'd love to put a swivel mount bipod on it and some optics as well, especially since it won't accept stripper clips, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any possible way ** putting Optics on it without Machining *unless they make an aftermarket dust cover for it with a rail on it. Oh yeah, the dust cover on this can be removed without removing the original locking lug pin. *

It also turns out this isn't a milsurp or a "battle rifle" and it was never used by the military in any country. Its a commercially made rifle like the Mini 14 for import into the Western Market before the ***ault weapons ban.*

because ** that reason I may just decide to sell this or trade it for a really nice SKS and some $ on top that could possibly be used towards an upper for my AR lower. *

[​IMG]*

[​IMG]*

[​IMG]*

[​IMG]*

[​IMG]*

[​IMG]*

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    SKS NOOB likes this.
  2. gsbuickman

Alright, I got the stock all sanded down in four stages from 80-240 grit, then wiped it all down and stained it with minwax's gunstock #231 . While I had the magwell liner out of the stock I straightened it out before I reassembled it. now the magazine slides in nice and smooth as it should . the magwell was rubbing on the sides of the magazine before and it was too tight. *there are a couple small spots I need to touch up with some stain and a Q-tip but other than that it doesn't look too bad.*

[​IMG] *

[​IMG] *

[​IMG]*

[​IMG]*

jwrauch and SKS NOOB like this.

3. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Very nice. I really want a Dragunov...just can't justify it.

gsbuickman likes this.
  4. gsbuickman

if you happen to run across one of these that takes the AK magazines I would suggest taking it out to the range and putting it through its paces and play around with it before I'd even consider buying it.

I wanted one of these after hearing about them for a long time myself and I got lucky when I found this one. I had a side folding pistol grip stock on a **** nice 67' norinco sks. I was actually looking to trade the polymer stock for a wood stock that a friend had and it turned out he had this sks-m.

after hearing about the fabled SKS with AK mags but never having owned one and after finding out my receiver wouldn't fit in this dragunov stock, we decided to trade rifle for rifle straight across. To make a long story short that ended up being the worst gun trade I ever made because this thing was a cheap production POS , not an actual military issue rifle. the spring in the original box magazine was shot and wouldn't feed a single round from it. I trimmed the skirt on the follower and restored it to its 20 round capacity hoping that would add some additional tension on the spring allowing it to feed but it never did. I bought a new Tapco Intrafuse 20-round magazine and it hated that as well. just like a standard AK there is no bolt hold open feature on the magazine follower and the Tapco magazine was too fat and the ears on it were too tall and they interfered with the bolt and caused more ftf errors & jams than it was worth. the magazine wouldn't seat with 20 rounds in it even with the bolt held open, it would only seat with 19 rounds in it but it would only feed 16 of the 19 rounds because it wouldn't pick up the last three.

in the end I got fed up with it and sold it to a local guy after informing him of the trouble I had with it, even knowing that he gave me $600 cash for it and said he'd get it fixed, I was just happy to let that piece of crap go. I bought some new parts for my motorcycle, a really nice gas powered XTM Mammoth monster truck R/C rig & picked up the DP marked SKS I posted a thread on. it's pretty **** nice but I still miss that 67' I had...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016