as it did well. I had a few hang ups but for the most part the gun worked
OK.

Going to do some more cleaning tomorrow and take it back to the range
this weekend.

RichB

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Awesome Gift :D Cleaning it should make it fail to feed less often. Make sure the gas port is completely open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Awesome Gift :D Cleaning it should make it fail to feed less often. Make sure the gas port is completely open.
THANKS! Yes, I've been reading through the posts on spent cartridge hung ups. I have some long pipe cleaners for my church warden style pipes. They should help in cleaning out the cosmoline gunk. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey Rich, those Yugo's are beautiful, aren't they! You may try pulling the extractor from the bolt on it so that you can clean it a little better, and then use a toothpick in the hole for the spring to dig some of the cosmoline out of it. Also clean the spring up. In case you can't figure out how to remove the extractor, I'll go ahead and let you know. Looking from the top, off to the right is the extractor, off to the left side, you'll see a pin, you can use a toothpick, or a stiff piece of metal, like a punch, and push it outwards, now don't try to push it all the way out, just push it till maybe about 1/4'' is protruding from the right side, the just push backward on the extractor, till its free from the hinge and the pull it to the right, and there you go, it should be out. To put it back, you put the spring back in, be sure to watch how it comes out, because one end is thicker that the other, and that's what locks it in, but just put your spring back in, and place the ejector back into place, then push back on it again, and then to the left till it's lined up with the hinge, and then let it go foward slowly. Then just push your pin back in till it's pretty much flush with the bolt body. That should help out a bit. Hope it does.
Sean M. Hartman

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, so I cleaned my SKS again and used a gun degreaser in the gas rod areas.
The gun fired fine but I had to hand eject each spent round.
Once I get home from the range I cleaned everything again real good.

Suggestions?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,511 Posts
Make sure the gas button is at about 2:00 as you sight the rifle. If straight up, the gas system is cut off. Then you have a straight-pull bolt action.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Rich,
About 10 years ago when I gought my two SKS rifles I discovered they were packed full of cosmoline. I turn on my shower to as hot as it would go and field stripped the rifles. Carefully I placed the weapons against a prop in the shower stall and let them degrease for 20 minutes. Worked great...make sure you dry out all nooks and crannys. I used an air compressor to finish the job.
Doc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Make sure the gas button is at about 2:00 as you sight the rifle. If straight up, the gas system is cut off. Then you have a straight-pull bolt action.
Yes, Thanks! It was at the 2:00 position. I think the parts may be just
worn and I have ordered a new gas tube and rods from TAPCO.

I have cleaned my SKS about 6 times now and planning to use
the hot water treatment on some of the parts this week.

I'm hoping that this will do the trick. I'll post some photos ASAP! :)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yep. sounds like a fine Daughter,and son in law.:) If you haven't already, you should check the hole going from the inside of the gasblock thought to the inside of the barrel, if this is blocked no gas gets to the piston and it won't cycle. Easy to overlook. Hope you enjoy it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts