Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than shooting 22 Rimfire's, the 223 Remington has to be my favorite cartridge to shoot. The first rifle that I owned in 223 was a Ruger Mini 14 that I bought in 1977, I shot buckets full of ammo out of that little gun.
Since then, I've always had several gun's in 223 Remington. Currently, I have 6 including this new build.
I love shooting precision rifles, and my old Savage 12 FLVSS has served me well for many years but it has some things that limit its abilities. It is a Staggered feed action, so I'm limited on custom stocks / parts for it. It also is a 1-9 twist barrel, so I can't shoot the long high BC match bullets like the 75gr & 80gr Hornady ELD-M's.

I built a custom 22 Creedmoor a couple years ago, and it has become one of my favorite rifles to shoot, but barrel life is pretty short - around 1200 rounds. I decided to build a twin to this rifle in 223 Remington.

Starting with KRG Bravo chassis, I painted the black composite shell with matte beige paint, then used several shades of alcohol inks to make it look like a walnut stock.
The action is an American Rifle Co. Nucleus Gen 2. I had PVA spin me up a Rock Creek shouldered 20" barrel with a 1-7 twist in a M24 contour and threaded 5/8 x 24 for my suppressor's, and cerakoted matte black.
I'm still waiting for the Trigger Tech Special trigger to arrive, but it is on the way they say.
The scope rings are ARC M10, the best scope rings made, IMO. And they hold a S&B PM II 5-25x56 scope.
I went with the MTD composite AICS style magazines instead of the Accurate Mag because they allow a COAL of 2.550". I can't wait for the trigger to show up, I'll have plenty of test loads ready to try out in this gun when it gets here.

·
Premium Member
13,272 Posts
Dang TXhillbilly. That's quite a collection. Glad to see I'm not the only one with the .223 addiction. I only have a couple (other than ARs) and mine are both over-the-counter. I have a CZ 527 with the 16.5" barrel. This one is driving me crazy finding an accurate load....bad scope, bullets too heavy...could be a lot of things. Other rifle is on it's way. Sako 85! Chomping at the bit waiting for this one to arrive!!!

You have some beautiful pieces there.

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
WOW , I'm impressed !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts