Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than shooting 22 Rimfire's, the 223 Remington has to be my favorite cartridge to shoot. The first rifle that I owned in 223 was a Ruger Mini 14 that I bought in 1977, I shot buckets full of ammo out of that little gun.
Since then, I've always had several gun's in 223 Remington. Currently, I have 6 including this new build.
I love shooting precision rifles, and my old Savage 12 FLVSS has served me well for many years but it has some things that limit its abilities. It is a Staggered feed action, so I'm limited on custom stocks / parts for it. It also is a 1-9 twist barrel, so I can't shoot the long high BC match bullets like the 75gr & 80gr Hornady ELD-M's.

I built a custom 22 Creedmoor a couple years ago, and it has become one of my favorite rifles to shoot, but barrel life is pretty short - around 1200 rounds. I decided to build a twin to this rifle in 223 Remington.

Starting with KRG Bravo chassis, I painted the black composite shell with matte beige paint, then used several shades of alcohol inks to make it look like a walnut stock.
The action is an American Rifle Co. Nucleus Gen 2. I had PVA spin me up a Rock Creek shouldered 20" barrel with a 1-7 twist in a M24 contour and threaded 5/8 x 24 for my suppressor's, and cerakoted matte black.
I'm still waiting for the Trigger Tech Special trigger to arrive, but it is on the way they say.
The scope rings are ARC M10, the best scope rings made, IMO. And they hold a S&B PM II 5-25x56 scope.
I went with the MTD composite AICS style magazines instead of the Accurate Mag because they allow a COAL of 2.550". I can't wait for the trigger to show up, I'll have plenty of test loads ready to try out in this gun when it gets here.

·
Super Moderator
14,440 Posts
Dang TXhillbilly. That's quite a collection. Glad to see I'm not the only one with the .223 addiction. I only have a couple (other than ARs) and mine are both over-the-counter. I have a CZ 527 with the 16.5" barrel. This one is driving me crazy finding an accurate load....bad scope, bullets too heavy...could be a lot of things. Other rifle is on it's way. Sako 85! Chomping at the bit waiting for this one to arrive!!!

You have some beautiful pieces there.

·
Registered
492 Posts
That new custom mauser is a beauty! I'm all about beautiful rifles and that one ticks all the boxes. I think 7x57 is a pleasure to shoot with great ballistics and manageable recoil. 30.06 is a bit much for my tired old shoulder. 20 rounds over half an hour at the range with plenty of barrel cool down time (at least that's what I tell my son, it's actually shoulder recovery time!) and I'm done with the 30.06.

Enjoy that beautiful rifle!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The trigger finally showed up, and I loaded up some test loads using Alliant Power Pro 2k for both 75gr & 80gr Hornady ELD-M bullets. I test fired the rifle a couple weeks ago with some 77gr ammo that is loaded for my Savage 12 FLVSS 223, and it functioned / shot very well.
I'm amazed at how much lighter the bolt lift is on the Nucleus Gen 2 action over my Gen 1 action. I don't know what Ted changed, but I really like it.

I made it out to the range today to shoot the test loads. The range was packed with people trying to sight in their deer rifles the day before Open season here. Judging by the looks of their target's, there's going to be a lot of wounded or missed deer once "Buck Fever" sets in. LOL!!!
This rifle didn't care for the 75gr bullets and the Power Pro 2k powder combination's. The smallest group's were around 1". I'll try a few other powder's with this bullet.
The 80gr bullets shot extremely well in a couple different charge weights, with the best in the .2" - .3" group range. I could've shot even better, but I'm a little rusty, and the range crowd was crazy today.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Admiration is all I can say. From looking at it on zoom, I really do not think it would be a good varmint rifle Because coyote calling means getting out when it might rain or having to carry it thru the brush. Just too darn pretty to take that risk. Kind of like the one Golden Boy I own, not practical as a hunting tool.

That said, I am sure you can keep it safe when in the field. Like you my first 223 was the mini 14, shot a lot and carried in 2 law enforcement jobs. Always liked the feel when on a manhunt in the woods. Killed deer with the matching mini 30, but the 14 spent a lot of time in the woods, but killed very little, as I own a lot of other guns in other calibers.

I also have a bunch of 223 guns, only one bolt action. I have had great luck with the Wolf factory 75 grain Hollow Points but personally have loaded mostly varmint loads, with 34 grain bullets. They go very fast.

I am saving the few boxes of the 75 grains that I have for my ARs, they like them a lot also. I normally use H335 or IMR 3031. I have 223 CFE but have not loaded with it. I would like to try the heavy bullets, what are the 80 grain you mentioned and what powder do you suggest? I am shooting a 22 inch barrel on a Howa action.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing your final groups.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been a while, time for an update.
I made it back out for another 75gr ELD-M test session last week, this time using Varget for the powder. Since I'm seating my bullet's a lot farther out than book standards, I can push the powder charges more. My max charge was 25.6 grains, and it is just starting to show signs on the brass / primers that's all it'll take. My COAL is 2.510" with the bullets seated .010" off the lands.
The max charge showed great promise, but I don't want to push the brass too hard. At 24.7 grains, it shot a great group in the .2" - .3" range, minus 1 bad shot by me.
So, Today I decided to load up more of the best 75gr Varget loads and the 80gr Power Pro 2k loads, and play with the seating depth's. I seated them from 2.450" back up to 2.510" COAL in .010" increments. That should let me find just what this rifle likes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts