My Odd Win 95

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by gandog56, Jun 7, 2012.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Looks like I'm about to become the owner of a Winchester 95 in 7.62X54R. Too bad some turd blued it and probably halved the value. But I always wanted one of these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

Does it have the Russian inspection marks or is it one of the last of the contract rifles that came back to the states? The one I bought last year has the Russian contract stamps, but no acceptance markings.

Congratulations! I've followed the sale of a few of these over the last year or so and they are not very common. Most of them that came back to the states were sporterized.

3. chesterwin

After another look, that doesn't have the cut in the receiver for the cartridge guide. Is it an original sporter in 7.62x54R?

4. gandog56

Heck if I know. I just think a Win 98 in 7.62X54R is cool. I'm a thinking you have to open the action and feed them through the top.

5. chesterwin

Yes. The military version had a stripper clip guide on top that uses the same stripper clips as a mosin nagant.

6. gandog56

You keep saying that mine is not the Russian military version. I can't find anything saying Winchester ever sold this caliber in the US. I mean I still think the guide for the mil was held in by one screw.
    Russian
    [​IMG]
    Mine
    [​IMG]
    Mine
    [​IMG]
    Russian
    [​IMG]

There is a screw in the exact same location on both sides of the receiver. That screw could have just held the bridge in. Maybe the previous owner just removed the bridge.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  7. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

8. gandog56

So I finally took my Winchester to the gunsmith to check it out before I fired it to make sure it was safe. Now let me tell you why I am learning to trust this guy. I told him to do anything needed to get it ready for safe firing. He told me there was EXTENSIVE corrosion in the barrel and chamber, probably caused by the previous owner using corrosive ammo and NOT cleaning it right. Rather than spending and extra 3-4 hours cleaning the bore, he cleaned everything up to where it was good to fire, and just told me to wire brush it a few times in my spare time. Why charge me for something I could easily do myself. He said he cleaned the chamber out good, headspacing was good, and I can fire it, just clean out the bore with a bronze brush when I have the spare time.

I like this guy!

Felix's Tattoo likes this.
  9. gandog56

Found a site to date this thing by it's serial number. Says it was made in 1916. Just in time for WWI.

10. chesterwin

Got a link to the site that you dated it with?

11. gandog56

12. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory

Ganny,
    You got a beauty there!

rando likes this.
  13. chesterwin

Thanks ganny. I was hoping for a new reference but that one is already saved to favorites.

Congratulations on the gunsmith's checkup. If you want to speed the bore cleaning a little, a dab of "Flitz" metal polish on the brush might help.

14. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The 1895 was the last lever action John Browning designed, so you know it has to be good.

What are the chances of A) locating a book on the 1895 that has technical drawing that show the charger bridge; and B) locating or having fabricated a charger bridge for it? As you say, you can't bring it back to original finish because some moron blued it, but you could bring it back to original specification by reinstalling the bridge.

If it's not impolite to ask, how much did you pay for it? I've wanted one of those Russian Army lever guns for a long time. (Rounding it to the nearest hundred would do; I just want to know if my dream is reachable or just a pipe dream.)

15. gandog56

Let's just say somewhere over a grand. Very rare caliber in that model.

16. chesterwin

Ganny. Here's a feel good for ya. An older friend had a come back like we apparently do but his was all original configuration. Not sportered, or whatever like your's and mine. He bought it from a museum collection up north in the 60's. He sold it cheap for 18 grand a little over a year ago. I'm happy to have this little slice of history and bet you are too! Congrats friend!

rando likes this.
  17. gandog56

18 GRAND? Who the heck paid that? Heck I would sell mine for that! And I don't sell my guns.

18. gandog56

I saw one that came back from Russian after the war that had like 0% bluing left. He got like 6 garand (Joke intended, since garands can cost like $1000 for a used one) for it. Since I do NOT see any Russian proofmarks anywhere, I'm a thinking this one I got never left this country. I read somewhere that Win did sell a few in the US, too.

19. WOW, $18,000 for a hundred year old rifle that is allot of money for one. there are not too many guns that most people wouldn't sell or that price.

20. Felix's Tattoo

Felix's Tattoo G&G Evangelist

My cuz told me that he saw them in Korea, taken from the Chinese that they killed.