Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This revolver has many memories to me. I bought it new when $110 was a lot of money.

I have seen some bad times but not once did I ever consider selling it.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Does anyone else have a gun that they kept? It could be a gun that they bought long ago, or one that was handed down to them from their family?

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Simply awesome. My friend bought one new back around 81. Wish I had too! Am sure they are going for a bundle now.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Thanks.

Does anyone else have a gun that they kept? It could be a gun that they bought long ago, or one that was handed down to them from their family?
Yep I can relate to that. Sounds like dad's 98k he brought back. pictured it here a while back. Only handgun I had the brains to hang onto is the CS-9 S&W. Don't want to talk about the Model 19 snubby I traded. Grrrr

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
..Am sure they are going for a bundle now.
The market is soft on these revolvers in my area. It's was a great investment as a defense weapon but not so much as monetary investment.

·
Less well known member
5,152 Posts
The only gun I regret selling was a 4" Colt Diamondback. I bought it for $200 in 1984 and sold it for $300 in 1985. It seemed a good deal at the time.

I should have done my homework.;)

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never considered any gun as an investment. It's for personal protection of my family which makes it priceless. I haven't bought anything lately, but I have sold some that I thought needed a new caretaker.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That is sweeeeeeet!!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I bought a S&W snub nose 38 Spec.like this one nickle plated in 1971 as a back up gun I carried in a shoulder holster under my police shirt. Don't remember how much it was back then. Still have it and the shoulder holster. Bet I havn't put 20 rounds through it.

·
Premium Member
4,908 Posts
I have a S&W Model 10 with a 4" HB pinned that I bought used back in 1981; I carried it as a Deputy Sheriff and I still have it..The Sheriff's have gone away and they are now State's Marshal's ...Big gov is huge in CT...I have a Beretta 950 made in 1956, iirc that I carried as a back up in a cuff case on my strong side. We did not have access to the tiny, polymer frame .32Auto, .380Auto, 9mm arms available today...smallest then was a pos AMT Backup II and it was a jamomatic with a horrible trigger.

Reactions: Dutch and Rocky7

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still also have my first handgun from the 1970's. This S&W Model 10-5 served me well with the above Colt Detective for many years.

Jimmy Carter sent us to mass inflation in the 1970's, and I was lucky to get a job. It all changed with Ronald Reagan in 1980. S&W Model 10-5:

You younger guys have it made in the shade with your big paychecks and your great retirement accounts.

[OK, We all owe our good luck to the Greatest Generation that stormed the beaches at Normandy on D-Day.]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I never considered any gun as an investment. It's for personal protection of my family which makes it priceless. I haven't bought anything lately, but I have sold some that I thought needed a new caretaker.
Nothing is an investment unless it creates a net profit after costs, storage and maintenance and possibly insurance. Guns, however, retain more value than just about anything other than land. So, not not an investment by definition. But it will sure hold it's value better than golf clubs or a bass boat. That is a nice gun, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is a great YouTube clip from "Austin Powers in Goldmember"? ;)

Ya'll understand that some guns that I bought and lived with for 45 years are all keepers? I also have this one-owner 1974 Winchester 94 which is shown here with a 1967 Winchester 94 Canadian Centennial (polished).

They all mean a lot to me as they stayed with me since the 1970's.

People complain about everything today, but they have no clue about the struggles back in the 1960-1970's.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts