My Only Enfield: An Old 1942 Warhorse

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by deanobanion, May 17, 2008.

1. deanobanion

deanobanion Guest

I have an old Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 that my grandpa bought out of a Sears Roebuck catalog in the 1950's for $12. It was made in 1942, and is Marked "U.S. Property" on the reciever, I think because it was made in the U.S. on contract for England during the height of the war. This rifle certainly saw some action. The serial #'s don't match, but it is a fine shooter. The front sight hood is bent, the stock is dinged (but not cracked) and the name Holloway is whittled into the buttstock. The bore is extremely shiny, and if not for the rather crude war-production two position rear sight, it would be a real tack driver. I thought about installing a scope, then it would be a real target rifle indeed! The firing pin assembly still has the half-cock "safety" notch, which I understand was milled off of most of Enfields. I can't post pictures now, very limited access to a digital camera, but I'd appreciate it if anybody can give me a price estimate or any other fun facts about this gun. It is of extreme sentimental value to me, being my first firerarm ever, given to me by my grandpa when in junior high school, as well as being of historical value and a great shooter. I will never sell it, but it would still be cool to find out how much it's worth. I consider myself more of a shotgun/wingshooter kind of guy, and I don't shoot this rifle all that much. Also I'm not that much of an expert on this rifle.

Take Care,
    Mack

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Great story! I don't know much about them. I jus started studying them myself. Someone here will fill you in though. Welcome to G&G!

3. Here check this out The Lee-Enfield Rifle Website If it was made in the US it is a savage. This site has way more info than I could give you. I hope it helps. Remember the best rifle in the world is the one that means the most to YOU.

4. deanobanion

deanobanion Guest

Steve: Thanks for the welcome, sir! I'm sure that after you get into it, you will find Enfeilds quite interesting. There is a lot of history involved!

Amen to that!! I will keep this gun as long as I live, until it is haded down to my own grandkids years down the line. Plus the whole "first gun thing" adds to it...

5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Everyone remembers their first gun! I recently bought one that looks exactly like my first!