My Prairie Dog hunting pics

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tamalpias, Apr 30, 2008.

1. tamalpias

tamalpias G&G Newbie

I was gone mid april to go up north to my anual stomping grounds to hunt Prairie dogs. They call them peepers up there but these are some pics i took, i hope you all enjoy.

my drive in this is what i saw:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the valley i stayed in, it has a town post population 300 people:
    [​IMG]

And here are the action shots i took from my Canon 20D. They are in groups of 3 shot series, with 3 series of action shots total:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pball942

pball942 Guest

Nice pics. Liked the last set. What were you using to hunt with?

Thanks for sharing.

3. tamalpias

tamalpias G&G Newbie

i have a 22-250 loaded with a 55gr. v-max.

there was one i shot that i couldn't share because i shot it so close it literally rained down small bits on me and the truck. lol

4. Earl Easter

Earl Easter Pheasant Hunter Forum Contributor

Nice Pictures tamalpias
    I counted 29 deer then 30.....LOL .....And is it raining down peepers there...............
    Looks like the cows don't mind, **** holes they trip over....
    Sounds like you had a nice trip,thanks for the photo sets .

5. Them cows ain't paying him one bit of atention.

6. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Nice job on the photos. Which state were you in ?

7. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Peeps

tamalpias: Sir; beautiful country and making the "peeps" JUMP. :)

8. sell33

sell33 G&G Enthusiast

Wow nice pics, those action shots are pretty cool. What state were you in?

9. utahvarminter

utahvarminter Guest

Nice Pictures!

Looks a lot like Vernal in eastern Utah where I go hunting.

10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    most cattle in prarie dog country have been shot around so much, it dont bother 'em at all.

11. great pics. the cattle look like they take the shots as a pleasing sound

12. Troy

Troy G&G Enthusiast

beautiful country side. made a tough puzzle out those little hole diggers.

13. tamalpias

tamalpias G&G Newbie

I took all those pictures in California. It takes me about an 8 hours drive from where i live to get up there, but the beauty of that place is they have huge mule deer, turkey, pheasants, chuckars, coyotes, rock chucks, badgers, skunks, jack rabbits, antelope, bears, elk, doves, geese, and ducks all within a very confined geographical location. The two things i lament is the crap shoot when it comes to geese and dove hunting. Because it is so far north the dove hunt is a crap shoot at best. If there are no cold snaps you can shoot doves till your shoulder bleeds if you wish because they would blacken the sky there are so many. Same with the geese. The problem with the geese is they can be there to stop along their journey for 5 days or a month depending upon the weather. I can get the call from my friend and drive up there and the next day there is absolutely none to be seen. Or there can be as many more than what you see in those photos. The fields would be blanketed white or brown with them. 3 years ago i shot my daily limit within 6 minutes of being out and you don't even have to call them in. The past 2 years i have gotten stunk trying to get a dove or geese hunt in. With the price of gas so prohibitive i might just skip this years hunt for those two game animals. I just hope to get picked for deer or antelope this year. I forgot to have my camera ready to snap pics of those when i first saw them.

14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Nice pictures.Congratulations. sam.

15. rdale501

rdale501 Guest

I'm originally from Calif. and would be interested to know which area you were in. Just curious.

16. tamalpias

tamalpias G&G Newbie

Modoc county, tulelake basin. :)

17. rdale501

rdale501 Guest

I'm originally from Redding, and have hunted that area many times. My father (who is now 83) still lives in Redding, and when we are lucky enough to draw mule deer tags I still make the trip down, just to hunt with him. That's a great area.

18. I enjoy seeing members post pictures of there outings. Much enjoyed tamalpias.

19. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Excellent photos, those chirp dogs sure did dance :D