Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It will be the next gun I dump after I get my new Benelli Super Nova which is now backordered.

My 870 Express Tactical Synthetic, 18" barrel, 3 1/2 chamber:

1. has nasty sharp edges around the small, cramped loading area of the receiver
2. pinches my fingers and thumb when loading shells
3. has a spring-loaded shell elevator in the way of loading shells
4. has a deep scratch inside the mag tube that a shell rim may catch on causing a possible failure to feed
5. has a notch cut out of the forend on the left side to accommodate the saddle that was on the receiver which saddle I pulled right off after buying the gun since the original pins were supplied

Here is the serial number: AB554553M
What vintage is this scattergun jalopy?
It's not your grandfather's Remmy.
Remington Arms Company is in the crapper these days.

Some 30-something turkey claiming to be an ex-Nevada cop sold me this stupid thing three years ago on an Armslist ad. The guy said it was from his father's estate and only had 40 shells fired through it since new. It came with a cheap plastic Doskocil case, the original box, the saddle and no manual. I paid $450 then for the whole package.

What should I ask for this thing from a private sale? I do want to keep the case. The buyer can get the original cardboard box from Ilion, NY.

The best pumps I ever owned were Mossberg 500 and 590 to date. A breeze to load and unload without pinched fingers.

Reactions: EtherialOne

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
that's the express model not the wing master or real police type.

they just chopped off the barrel on the duck gun they introduced in the 90's to make your version.

me and my brother bought one when they first come out.
the little dust cover for the bolt jammed up the works the first time I tried to rack mine.
his shot about 2 feet to the left.

·
Premium Member
9,491 Posts
I have been wanting to pick up an older 870. I see most of the manufacturers are mass producing and quality going down. I am not much of a plastic gun stock person. I have a few Mossberg tactical type shotguns and all my AR's are plastic stocks. I like the natural beauty of the nicer old wooden stocks.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been wanting to pick up an older 870. I see most of the manufacturers are mass producing and quality going down. I am not much of a plastic gun stock person. I have a few Mossberg tactical type shotguns and all my AR's are plastic stocks. I like the natural beauty of the nicer old wooden stocks.
Did the older 870's pinch your fingers when stuffing shells in?

Looking at the date code listing, the second digit indicates year. Remington used B in 1981 and Z in 2005 and no years follow on that list. It would follow logically that B comes up again in 2007 so I'd have to guess my gun is 13 years old. I don't think synth stock was offered on new Remmys in 1981.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
that's the express model not the wing master or real police type.

they just chopped off the barrel on the duck gun they introduced in the 90's to make your version.

me and my brother bought one when they first come out.
the little dust cover for the bolt jammed up the works the first time I tried to rack mine.
his shot about 2 feet to the left.
What he said, you just have an express model painted black. its not an actual 870P.

The Police models are manufactured differently with different parts and go through a much more stringent inspection process.

If you can find one of them (all guns are hard to find right now) Id try to get one if possible.

If not, nothing wrong with a Mossy 590 for a pump.

If you are on a super tight budget, the Mossberg Maverick 88 gets pretty decent reviews as a good budget pump. They usually go for around mid $200s to $300.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,064 Posts
I can't say enough good things about the Mossy 500 (except maybe I should've gotten a 590 for the extra capacity lol). Bulletproof reliable. I DID put a plastic M4 type stock on it with pistol grip because I like the shorter stock length and the pistol grip.

Cabelas had a whole rack of used police turn ins (870s). The BAD news is they were asking $500 for them (absurd what happens in a panic) -- and they definitely showed a rough life-- in the not so distant past I could get a decent new 590 with ghost rings for around $400-450 I think.

·
Wonderment :)
32,890 Posts
information: ARMSLIST

https://www.google.com/maps/place/F...7d7a9!8m2!3d31.1363315!4d-97.7797049?hl=en-us

- Mossberg 500 12 gauge wood stock. shot once. wood stock, in mint condition, with all orginal choke tubes. $575

If any of them is on your purchase list, I am willing to beat any deal in the market. All firearms are either new in box or new without box or shot less than 10 rounds. All stored maintained very well in a room with de-humidifier.

Mossberg 500, 12 gauge, survial, youth, 22lr

·
Premium Member
9,451 Posts
I can't say enough good things about the Mossy 500 (except maybe I should've gotten a 590 for the extra capacity lol). Bulletproof reliable. I DID put a plastic M4 type stock on it with pistol grip because I like the shorter stock length and the pistol grip.

Cabelas had a whole rack of used police turn ins (870s). The BAD news is they were asking $500 for them (absurd what happens in a panic) -- and they definitely showed a rough life-- in the not so distant past I could get a decent new 590 with ghost rings for around $400-450 I think.
If the 590 is anywhere close to the 930 as far as quality and reliability, it's a beast of a shotgun.

Different actions, but what a gun.

·
Wonderment :)
32,890 Posts

·
Registered
19,593 Posts
Did the older 870's pinch your fingers when stuffing shells in?

Looking at the date code listing, the second digit indicates year. Remington used B in 1981 and Z in 2005 and no years follow on that list. It would follow logically that B comes up again in 2007 so I'd have to guess my gun is 13 years old. I don't think synth stock was offered on new Remmys in 1981.
It mostly depends on the model and vintage. The late '80s is when Remington started releasing half-finished garbage and selling it as a budget line. By the late '90s nearly anything they sold to a big box store was budget line.
Starting in the early 2000s, and continuing through today, quality control has been so bad that even some of the higher grades of shotguns from Remington are all sharp edges and rough assembly.

I think I have a tirade on this forum somewhere about receiving a new 870 Field grade and one of the H&R 870 clones from China around the same time.

The Remington was poorly blued, badly assembled, used cheap wood, needed a 400 pound gorilla to manipulate the slide, the whole thing was covered in sharp edges, the receiver and barrel were full of machine filings, the internals were covered in machine marks, and the bead was maybe 15 degrees to the left of where it should be. The butt plate was proud as well.

The H&R was well-fitted, competently blued in a sort of matte finish, had really pretty but unidentifiable hardwood on it that had what looked like a hand-rubbed oil finish, and had a slick-as-glass action with no sharp edges. The site was on straight and all.
The only gripe I had with the whole thing is that where the hand guard met the metal on the inside, where no one could see it, there was a bit of wood flashing that could have been sanded off. a couple of minutes with a hand planer would have made it lovely.
Since the second gen H&R shotguns are 100% parts compatible, the only thing that would make me choose a newer Remington over the Chinese one is the fact that I despise the Chinese government.

All that said, if you are able to put politics aside, and want the customization choices of an 870, get the H&R.

If you just want a really good pump for little money, and can again set politics aside, get one of the Turkish shotguns; best value out there.

·
Registered
19,593 Posts
I am a huge fan of Mossberg as a company. I love their rifles, I love their corporate philosophy, and I even like their handguns.

The Mossberg shotguns are fine. They are reliable, dependable and well-made. For some reason, though, I don't like the way they feel. Totally personal preference.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
It mostly depends on the model and vintage. The late '80s is when Remington started releasing half-finished garbage and selling it as a budget line. By the late '90s nearly anything they sold to a big box store was budget line.
Starting in the early 2000s, and continuing through today, quality control has been so bad that even some of the higher grades of shotguns from Remington are all sharp edges and rough assembly.

I think I have a tirade on this forum somewhere about receiving a new 870 Field grade and one of the H&R 870 clones from China around the same time.

The Remington was poorly blued, badly assembled, used cheap wood, needed a 400 pound gorilla to manipulate the slide, the whole thing was covered in sharp edges, the receiver and barrel were full of machine filings, the internals were covered in machine marks, and the bead was maybe 15 degrees to the left of where it should be. The butt plate was proud as well.

The H&R was well-fitted, competently blued in a sort of matte finish, had really pretty but unidentifiable hardwood on it that had what looked like a hand-rubbed oil finish, and had a slick-as-glass action with no sharp edges. The site was on straight and all.
The only gripe I had with the whole thing is that where the hand guard met the metal on the inside, where no one could see it, there was a bit of wood flashing that could have been sanded off. a couple of minutes with a hand planer would have made it lovely.
Since the second gen H&R shotguns are 100% parts compatible, the only thing that would make me choose a newer Remington over the Chinese one is the fact that I despise the Chinese government.

All that said, if you are able to put politics aside, and want the customization choices of an 870, get the H&R.

If you just want a really good pump for little money, and can again set politics aside, get one of the Turkish shotguns; best value out there.
I'm normally weary of guns like this but they get good reviews... I personally know of one guy who has one (and he's happy with it so far...)

Another good Chinese copy is the

IAC Hawk 982

Its an imported Chinese clone of the 870... some people say that these things are built better than the current factory Remington guns.

IAC is actually made by Norinco who makes decent stuff.

They can be had for anywhere from just over $100 to $250 normally, probably a bit more these days if you can find them.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,064 Posts
I'm normally weary of guns like this but they get good reviews... I personally know of one guy who has one (and he's happy with it so far...)

Another good Chinese copy is the

IAC Hawk 982

Its an imported Chinese clone of the 870... some people say that these things are built better than the current factory Remington guns.

IAC is actually made by Norinco who makes decent stuff.

They can be had for anywhere from just over $100 to $250 normally, probably a bit more these days if you can find them.
Looks similar to the Savage model which is a Chinese (Sun) copy of the Winchester pump. It's a decent copy too; the only heartburn is the Winchester-like action which unlocks immediately on firing (which makes short stroking more likely). It's equipped with a fiber-optic ghost ring setup as well.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Unfortunate to hear for sure. I never liked that Express line either with that shi**y lookin stock and matte finish. Never knew the parts and build were so sub-par. Own an 1100 made in 79-80 which has proved great for functioning. Same with my old Model 700. Sounds like browsing the used racks for an old Wingmaster sounds good to me.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 2007 870 Express Super magnum. I've used it a few times duck hunting. Never had problems and shoots great.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
the new Winchesters have changed their bolt face.
the old one was what the armalite model 10 and 16 rifles copied.

the new ones have 3 larger bolt lugs, and are better polished than the older guns were.

they still have the same basic internal design they've had since the model 12 first rolled off the line.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What he said, you just have an express model painted black. its not an actual 870P.

The Police models are manufactured differently with different parts and go through a much more stringent inspection process.

If you can find one of them (all guns are hard to find right now) Id try to get one if possible.

If not, nothing wrong with a Mossy 590 for a pump.

If you are on a super tight budget, the Mossberg Maverick 88 gets pretty decent reviews as a good budget pump. They usually go for around mid $200s to $300.
I already have a Super Nova 28" on backorder. An aftermarket barrel can be bought:
Carlson's Barrel Benelli Nova, Supernova 12 Gauge 3-1/2" 18-1/2" Ramped Front Sight..$238.00. It seems as a whole new Mossy Maverick 88 with short barrel would be cheaper yet.

Reactions: TACAV
1 - 20 of 29 Posts