Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,064 Posts
something to view. 500-590 compared

A 590 with ghost rings, a rail for a WML, and a M4 style stock with pistol grip (even though this makes the tang safety a wee bit more difficult to operate) would be the ultimate setup for me (the collapsable stock/grip can be added on aftermarket).

Unfortunately despite having this good idea it's unlikely I'd be able to take it to fruition anytime soon.

But no matter; have a bunch of other tools that work :) .

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Remington of the last three decades is not your daddy’s Remington. When they came out with triggers that shoot by themselves, I said I was done with them. Buy a Benelli. I believed in buying American until the hedge fund owned companies started making Junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,593 Posts
Mossberg and Savage are the last of the great American companies. If Mossberg would add a '92 clone to go alongside their '94 clone, and bring back a corn cob pump shotty without a stupid action button, they would pretty much have my heart.

Both companies make great products, though.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
....... It seems as a whole new Mossy Maverick 88 with short barrel would be cheaper yet.
Being an owner/shooter of all three models of Mossberg (88, 500, and 590) at one time or another, I would encourage you to get at least the 500, if you can afford it. Of course that depends on your intended use for the gun. The 88 Maverick will shoot just fine for occasional use, but it IS made with less expensive parts that will wear out faster than the more robust models.

If you intend to use it as your primary shot gun for everything, get the heavier model. If it is just going to be sitting behind your door, for that "Oh, s**t" defense moment, then the Maverick 88 will do just fine.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
It will be the next gun I dump after I get my new Benelli Super Nova which is now backordered.

My 870 Express Tactical Synthetic, 18" barrel, 3 1/2 chamber:

1. has nasty sharp edges around the small, cramped loading area of the receiver
2. pinches my fingers and thumb when loading shells
3. has a spring-loaded shell elevator in the way of loading shells
4. has a deep scratch inside the mag tube that a shell rim may catch on causing a possible failure to feed
5. has a notch cut out of the forend on the left side to accommodate the saddle that was on the receiver which saddle I pulled right off after buying the gun since the original pins were supplied

Here is the serial number: AB554553M
What vintage is this scattergun jalopy?
It's not your grandfather's Remmy.
Remington Arms Company is in the crapper these days.

Some 30-something turkey claiming to be an ex-Nevada cop sold me this stupid thing three years ago on an Armslist ad. The guy said it was from his father's estate and only had 40 shells fired through it since new. It came with a cheap plastic Doskocil case, the original box, the saddle and no manual. I paid $450 then for the whole package.

What should I ask for this thing from a private sale? I do want to keep the case. The buyer can get the original cardboard box from Ilion, NY.

The best pumps I ever owned were Mossberg 500 and 590 to date. A breeze to load and unload without pinched fingers.
While I'm that big of a "Scatter Gun" guy, A number of years ago I picked up a Super Nova Tactical and I have to say that's hands down the most solid pump out of the several that I've owned (the others being a Remy, Winchester and Cimarrin? Arms Winchester Clone)... You definitely won't be disappointed!

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
The Remington of the last three decades is not your daddy’s Remington. When they came out with triggers that shoot by themselves, I said I was done with them. Buy a Benelli. I believed in buying American until the hedge fund owned companies started making Junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a Benelli M4, completely setup with ALL the features, (7 shot tube, telescoping buttstock etc) had to swap some parts from Italian ones to US made ones to keep it 922R compliant, but its in its full USMC M1014 configuration.

Its a dream to shoot and super accurate. I've put 3 1oz slugs in a touching clover leaf pattern at 100 yards prone with its iron sights and it pretty much eats anything you feed it from full power slugs or buckshot to light birdshot loads.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,064 Posts
I have a Benelli M4, completely setup with ALL the features, (7 shot tube, telescoping buttstock etc) had to swap some parts from Italian ones to US made ones to keep it 922R compliant, but its in its full USMC M1014 configuration.

Its a dream to shoot and super accurate. I've put 3 1oz slugs in a touching clover leaf pattern at 100 yards prone with its iron sights and it pretty much eats anything you feed it from full power slugs or buckshot to light birdshot loads.
I know it's a different operating system, but what do you think of their inertia cycling system ? Just curious in that I had a friend looking at the Stoeger 20 gauge which uses a similar system and didn't have any experience in its real-world reliability.

I'm not a huge fan in general of autoloading shotguns (I like the pumps personally) and perhaps that's just because I haven't shot alot of them so my experience level and familiarity with reliability isn't that great.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I know it's a different operating system, but what do you think of their inertia cycling system ? Just curious in that I had a friend looking at the Stoeger 20 gauge which uses a similar system and didn't have any experience in its real-world reliability.

I'm not a huge fan in general of autoloading shotguns (I like the pumps personally) and perhaps that's just because I haven't shot alot of them so my experience level and familiarity with reliability isn't that great.
I've had a Super Black Eagle that was purchased new, it's ate everything that I've fed it from trap loads to 3-1/2" goose loads without a single hic-up. I used it to duck / goose and upland bird hunt in the rain and slop. I've also shot thousands of rounds of sporting clays, before buying my O/U, and not a single failure. Some people claim the inertia system recoil is heavy, but I would argue that point all day long. My son has used it for trap and sporting clays since he was about 16, and never complained about the recoil either.

I also have an older 870 magnum, a Mossberg 500 and a Super Nova in the safe. If I could only keep one of the 3, it would be the 870. I haven't had a single issue with it since buying it NIB. It has pretty cheap wood, but I added a few coats of poly to seal it, and give it a little shine. She's not the prettiest girl, but she always goes bang.

The only complaint I have with the Mossberg 500 is the safety is a little catchy, and hard to cycle on and off. Not a problem for me, but my kids struggled with it a little when learning to shoot trap. I do like the safety up on the receiver instead of the trigger guard though. It's never failed, and has been a very reliable firearm.

The Super Nova is my least favorite of the bunch, and has been in the back of the safe for a very long time. It's one of the Super Nova's from the mid to late 90's and the forearm rattles, it's heavy, and kicks like a mule. I know some are going to say gun fit has a lot to do with how it feels, but it's the only scatter gun in my pile that I absolutely hate to shoot. (the chokes are also not compatible with my Super Black Eagle)
I've added the Limb Saver recoil pad, and even tried the recoil reducer (installed into the butt stock) without having enough success to enjoy shooting it.

Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
I have had a 12 gauge Mossberg 500, Was a good gun.
I have an 870 Express Magnum 20 gauge youth. I Love it as well it is smooth working, never jams no problem loading.
Only issue I have ever had with it, is that if you remove the barrel you must be carful to seat it right, and firm. You had better check it after words because it can seat slightly crooked, not enough to see, or hinder function but enough to throw off your aim a right or left.
Mine has a wood stock and I love it. It was made April 1994.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts