Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I tend to buy matching carry guns. The one I have pocket carried for over 2 years was the first to go. Spring that keeps the slide locked back died on mine. Two hours later the pin that holds everything together on my wifes falls out.

Everyone is going to tell me that the Remington 380 is a piece of junk. Up until this weekend they have been reliable little pocket pistols.

We had another failure on a Kimber of all things. Just a bad weekend.

Except of course our daughter-in-law who now wants to carry. 17 years ago when we met her she had been traumatized and the sight of a gun would freak her out. She was a missionary's kid and on her senior trip in Guatemala the bus they were in was stopped and the bus driver killed right next to her. She fired over 100 rounds out of 6 different handguns.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Don,
I have a Remington RM380 and they are a decent pocket pistol, these springs were not properly heat treated and they are brittle. Parts are available but on this little gem,buy a few springs as Remington has had quality issues prior to the closing. There are ways to re-heat treat carbon steel and temper it properly, too. I too had to replace the spring on mine after about 150 rds...good luck
Remington RM380 Pistol Parts | Numrich Gun Parts

These guys sell a decent spring kit that will improve you trigger.
Remington RM380 Trigger Spring Kit

This video pretty much explains how to take the pistol apart and replace the springs for lightening the trigger pull, replacing the slide stop spring is just as easy..

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Remington 380 IS a piece of junk. I have to wonder WHY you insist on risking your personal safety and that of your family on it? Kimber handguns I have mixed feelings about because, lately, I just heard too many stories.

Why don't you stop screwing around with your life and get something reliable and comparatively inexpensive like a Ruger handgun, or maybe something really fantastic (and expensive) like an H&K P30, or USP pistol.

None of these aforementioned pistols are going to break anytime soon on ya! And, besides, all 380's are 'secondary pistols' that I (somewhat jokingly) refer to as 'pacifier pistols' because while they make you feel safe, you're really not! And, yes, I would most definitely know. ;)

My own wife's EDC pistol which she is able to handle very well (she had a good teacher), and she shoots it better than most men can do:

Sturm-Ruger, SP101 Revolver, 357 Magnum/38 Special with 3" barrel, polished action job, exposed hammer; and soft rubber, Hogue Monogrip ~

We've both burned a lot of 'full house' 357 Magnum ammo with this little SP101 revolver—Often until it's too hot to hold with bare hands. Ain't broke yet; and, with the right ammo, it hits like a 'falling brick wall'!

·
Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
74 Posts
I want a gun That I can depend on in a Lifesaving self defense situation. I carry either a Makarov 380 , a Ruger SP-101 in 357 mag , and My Normal carry is a full size 1911 45acp that as also My Duty gun as a Police Officer. I do Have an M9 Beretta and another Carry gun , the Sig P220 in .45 that fits the bill nicely .
(And NO , I still wont own a Taurus ...ever !)
I have never owned a Remington semi-auto pistol so I have no input , but sounds like its not reliable to me.
Rich

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I know the Remington has bad reviews. Until mine failed I trusted it. I don't any longer. I will go to another small carry.

I like full frame 45's but they are hard to carry full time without people noticing. People are amazed when they find I have been carrying for years without them knowing. It's better to have a mouse gun than none at all.

My number two carry gun (for winter due to cloths) is a Springfield XDS in 9. I believe in a true concealed carry.

If you open carry or only half conceal carry you are a fool. Peace officers don't count. They are unfortunatly a target no matter what.

·
Registered
Collector of Military guns and Model 70 Winchesters
74 Posts
If you open carry or only half conceal carry you are a fool. Peace officers don't count. They are unfortunatly a target no matter what.
Don , I am a proponent of Concealed Carry , no reason to open carry as it draws attention, It can sour uninformed women with children out in Public if you dont have a Badge. I don't want anyone to know I am carrying so its gonna be a surprise if I get targeted by a criminal.I carry my 1911 in a FBI Canted hip holster that was even hard to actually see when I was in uniform. it hugs the body and makes it print less when concealed.

·
Registered
21,082 Posts
I have mixed feelings about open and concealed carry. I open carry at work and on the farm. This means I sometimes accidentally open carry AFTER work or the farm. Around here, though, most people either don't seem to notice, or don't seem to care. I have had one person assume I was an off duty officer, but that is the only comment I ever got.

Most of the time I can tell if someone is carrying concealed unless they are carrying a really tiny gun in a really good holster. I don't think a lot of guys and gals realize that they look like they are carrying a colostomy bag around with them when they carry appendix, walk with their arms at an unnatural angle with shoulder rigs, or look like they have a spinal deformity with small-of-the-back carry.

I get really angry about the tacti-cool open carry crowd. I see these guys out with plastic wonder guns (usually Glocks) in these low retention paddle holsters, and I swear they always seem to be squatting to get something off the bottom shelf. Situational awareness, dude. Someone could push these guys forward by the neck, have their gun, and have them dead without even really trying.

I also get bugged by a really weird local subgroup that openly carries museum pieces worth thousands. I know one guy who daily carries an original SAA Bisley. He owns a local tourist attraction and this is his "patrol" gun for security.
We have a semi-regular customer who carries a .38WCF Mexican-marked Colt SAA from the 1908 contract that has real ivory grips with the Mexican eagle carved in and rubies for the eagle's eyes. We have a local who carries a fully engraved presentation 1911 that was given to some high brass general in WWII, and he has carried it to the point that half the gold inlay has rubbed off ("I ain't gonna own something I can't shoot.")
Finally we have one who carries a Nazi Waffenamt High Power.
With this crowd, the fact that they carry these things daily bothers me way more than that they are open carriers (open-carry-ers?...I need a grammar check).

If someone is selling me a gun I have noticed one thing; the average open carry guy cleans and maintains his gun pretty often - with the exception of a lot of police officers. When I get a gun that is someone's EDC concealed gun it is almost always full of lint, and scmutz and gunk, and I can't tell you how many of these guns have mags full of green brass.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Okay, while some will state that the RM380 is junk but junk compared to what? It was originally a Rohrbaugh R380 that was ridiculously priced; they got bought by the holding company that owned Remington and were folded into Remington...Is it comparable to a G42? They had issues early on, too. But probably not. Folks buy what they think they want/need and can afford. With a bit of fitting and finishing and parts replacement I have made my RM380 into a decent pocket pistol. I use it for training as it is DAO and hammer-fired. I have made replacements for the slide lock spring out of high carbon spring wire. Not trying to argue but some follks buy what they can afford plain and simple..These were selling for 189 and a 50 dollar rebate a couple of years ago..I do put a price on my life and carry reliable firearms because I can, some cannot. That extra 50 went into a few boxes of ammo for some I am sure...can an RM380 be made reliable? Yes. Is it the best option? Not for me. Would I carry one? Yes, resprung and a new carbon-steel slide-lock spring...There are ton of inexpensive firearms that work well and not so well, search Cobra, HiPoint, etc.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,786 Posts
It's not as small as some, but if you can stand a pistol that needs a holster I would recommend the Yugoslav Model 57 Tokarev. The controls are the same as the M1911, and the terminal energy of that 85 grain 7.62x25 JHP or FMJ at typical pistol combat ranges actually exceeds that of the 9mm NATO pistol round.

Plus, it has one asset the nine millimeters don't. You've probably seen the Dirty Harry movies and are familiar with his S&W Model 29's "bah-WHOOM." Well, that sound effect was obtained by firing a Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 at a firing range with a specially tuned microphone recording. But a Model 57 Yugo Tok produces it every time you squeeze off a shot. This has the effect of scaring the bejeezus out of the bad guys on the other end of the muzzle, who associate that "bah-WHOOM" with Harry Callahan's mighty hand cannon and want no part of it.

Fedor Tokarev's design owes a great deal to John Browning's .45 ACP M1911, but heretical as this may sound, I believe he improved on it, not least with the captive recoil spring. There is minimal muzzle rise, and there is an aftermarket muzzle brake that will eliminate even that little. Felt recoil is nonexistent. When the chips are down, you will be able to put your rounds right where they need to go.

It's worth investigating for EDC.

·
Registered
21,082 Posts
It's not as small as some, but if you can stand a pistol that needs a holster I would recommend the Yugoslav Model 57 Tokarev. The controls are the same as the M1911, and the terminal energy of that 85 grain 7.62x25 JHP or FMJ at typical pistol combat ranges actually exceeds that of the 9mm NATO pistol round.

Plus, it has one asset the nine millimeters don't. You've probably seen the Dirty Harry movies and are familiar with his S&W Model 29's "bah-WHOOM." Well, that sound effect was obtained by firing a Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 at a firing range with a specially tuned microphone recording. But a Model 57 Yugo Tok produces it every time you squeeze off a shot. This has the effect of scaring the bejeezus out of the bad guys on the other end of the muzzle, who associate that "bah-WHOOM" with Harry Callahan's mighty hand cannon and want no part of it.

Fedor Tokarev's design owes a great deal to John Browning's .45 ACP M1911, but heretical as this may sound, I believe he improved on it, not least with the captive recoil spring. There is minimal muzzle rise, and there is an aftermarket muzzle brake that will eliminate even that little. Felt recoil is nonexistent. When the chips are down, you will be able to put your rounds right where they need to go.

It's worth investigating for EDC.
I would almost argue that the Romanian version has BETTER controls than the 1911, at least in terms of the trigger. That trigger is so sweet you will find Russian target models with Romanian triggers dumped in them. The 1911 has one of the best triggers in handguns, so anything that is better is really impressive.

I feel that way about the Llama XIA, as well. It is externally, and controls-wise, basically a 1911. Internally it is more like an FN 1903, and the trigger feels more like a Tokarev than a Colt.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,786 Posts
My Llama IX-A in .45 ACP is basically a M1911A1 with a Spanish accent. It's about 95% 1911, to the point US GI magazines work better than the Llama magazines. The only differences I have noticed are in the trigger group, but not the trigger itself.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
21,082 Posts
My Llama IX-A in .45 ACP is basically a M1911A1 with a Spanish accent. It's about 95% 1911, to the point US GI magazines work better than the Llama magazines. The only differences I have noticed are in the trigger group, but not the trigger itself.
It gets confusing with Llamas. I think the difference between the XIA and the IX-A is that the XIA is a direct blowback, and the IX series has the Colt-style tip up barrel. The XIA also has a pivoting trigger, kind of like the Star Modelo B. There seems to be conflicting information on that, though, and a lot of the guns aren't properly marked apparently.

My Llama is definitely direct blowback, and also 9mm.

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
The RM380 is actually quite fine. The pin falling out is something they do right out of the box. All you have to do is hold it at the right angle and rack the slide back and forth very slowly. Surprised they never adressed that. The slide stop should be an easy fix.

If you like the RM380 doni trust it, see if you can track down an LCPII or LCPMAX. Not a fine feeling as the RM380 but same silhouette, good trigger, lighter. The max is still hen's teeth but that one comes with 10 round magazines and available 12 round and is still vest pocket sized.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts