My Rock Island has the blues....

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rondog, May 16, 2008.

1. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

OK, this is my first Rock Island GI model, that I bought last June. Y'all may remember my thread a couple months ago about my first gunsmiffing attempt, where I bought a Tactical hammer, trigger, and beavertail from Ray at Advanced Tactical, and put them on myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I immediately took the pistol to a local gunsmith, to have a dovetail cut into the slide and a Novak Tritium front blade added, a little bit of final finishing of the beavertail, and then the whole thing polished and blued.

Here's the final results! I've gotta take some photos outdoors of this puppy, I think it turned out really nice. I've always been a sucker for the deep, shiny blue finishes. Still have to shoot it, just picked it up an hour ago.

These indoor photos just don't do it justice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wicked looking and sexy as hell. Great 1911. Don't change a thing.
    (You might get a dressy set of white faux-ivory grips just for show, I always liked the way they looked on a shiney blue steel 1911) Real ivory would cost more than the gun prolly.

Last edited: May 16, 2008

3. Seven©

Seven© G&G Evangelist

WNC
    Looking good, Rondog!! [​IMG]

4. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Shoot, I just bought those! Wood is my thing. I think I'm done dinking with this one for awhile, it's time for shootin'!

5. That is one fine looking man stopper.

6. racdrof

racdrof G&G Newbie

Didn't know a Rock Island could dress up so nice. Gonna have to take a harder look at mine. Thanks for the pics.

7. jashoffa

jashoffa G&G Newbie

That RI looks great. It has got me thinking about what I could do if I picked one up and worked with it a little bit. I have no experiance with any gun smithing but I have been thinking about trying my hand at it a little bit. In a few months we will close on a new house (well new to us, built in 1918). I will have a lot more room in the new house and have a couple of rooms in the basement picked out to be my space. One room will be my office area and another area will be my workshop to do some Reloading, gun cleaning and maybe gun smithing. The RI might make a nice project to start with that wouldn't cost a bunch of money to get started. At any rate nice pistol there!

8. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Rocks are great project guns, IMO. FWIW, here's the phases this pistol has gone through in my hands.....

Stock GI model out of the box-

[​IMG]

With King's Commander hammer, grip safety, thumb safety, CTC Lasergrips, and ugly Trijicon night sights-

[​IMG]

Had Novak put on one of their rear sights-

[​IMG]

Bought Armscor Tactical hammer, trigger and beavertail, and installed them myself, some nice used stocks off another forum, then had a Novak front blade added and had it blued. This is the current version, I think I'm happy now. Still need to try it out-

[​IMG]

9. jashoffa

jashoffa G&G Newbie

The final product is incredible. It really looks great! Hard to beleive it is the same pistol!

10. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Here's a video of how she shoots.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRpmuiK0q2o]YouTube - RIA GI Ol' Blue, #1[/ame]

11. 502adamh

502adamh Guest

12. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Just 7 yards. It was way too windy to try for further, my target stand made out of PVC pipe was flopping like crazy.

13. 502adamh

502adamh Guest

Way to go man! Beautiful gun :bigok: