Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is. Mossberg Model 500 Persuader, manufactured in North Haven Connecticut. 20-inch barrel, chambers 7+1 rounds.

Took it down to the range...they have an odd rule about only being able to use slugs there, but oh well.

I have been thoroughly reminded of how a slug feels, recoilwise, again. I can't imagine being on the receiving end of one.

I'll likely end up purchasing a lot of stuff for it, like fiber-optic sights, topfold stock with pistol grip, some chokes, shotshell holders, additional barrels, that sort of thing. But for now, I'm very happy with it and will be taking it out to the desert when I get some time.

- Coeloptera

Attachments

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
SWEET! Those little things are great. One of these days I need to pick one up. Been wanting one for over 20 years now. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I thought that the top folder was a good idea untill I shot my Winchester 1300 defender with it installed. After I shot it I decided the old stock was the way to go. You may find you like the folder but I found that it was no fun to shoot slugs either way and 00 buck wasn't much fun either. The folders do make for a nice sized backage though. I found it difficult to shoot it accurately with the folder exteded or folded and painful to shoot with it folded. To each his own!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I got the display model at a Big 5 so it was only $225.00. Also, whether it chambers 7 or 8 depends on the length of the shell, of course. 3 inches is 7, 2 & 3/4 inches is 8 (juuuuust fits until the spring loosens a bit - I'm storing it fully loaded so it does just a touch).

I fired it from the hip with a few slugs and it didn't hurt, although my accuracy suffered, of course. I do like pistol grips because it lets me take some of the recoil up with my hand and shoulder, as opposed to mostly just shoulder. I'll say, jashoffa, slugs are slugs. They were the 3" Federal Classic slugs. I'm going to feel them no matter what, so next time I'll wear one of my thick coats (heavy leather or a duster) and that should do (I only wore a thin knit shirt). I got a little redness on the shoulder, but no real soreness.

I do like topfolds because of how compact a folded one is, and I feel...I dunno..."unbalanced" with a sidefold. That and I stand 6'3", so a 20" barrel with a pistol grip is a very small package for me to maneuver. But I will eventually be getting more barrels, maybe start with 28".

Of course I fired the slugs through the unrifled barrel (which cleaned up perfectly) and my accuracy was very good out at 25 yards. I'm not sure I'll want or need a rifled barrel. As soon as I can I'll take the box shells I have out and see how the groups are. I forget which brand I bought, either Fiocci or Winchester, I'll have to check.

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just bought a well used police trade-in model 500 with wood stock, the old-fashioned round grooved forend, and a brass bead on the front. I believe it originally had rifle sights that were removed; I can faintly make out the outline of a front sight base and see hints of brazing through the blue, and the dovetail's there on the rear of the barrel. It's functionally perfect, but some nasty stuff had been spilled on the butt that clouded the polyurethane varnish and made it look like milk was spilled all over it, so I've sanded it off and replaced the poly. Interestingly, this one will hold 7 3" folded crimp shells in the magazine, but only 7 2 3/4" shells as well. (Reportedly some will hold 8 of the 2 3/4" shells.) I won't put a bit of "tactical" gadgetry on mine. A basic shotgun with lots of firepower is all I need or want. Hoping to get out and shoot it tomorrow!

Here's mine:

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine looks about the same, except my foregrip and stock are synthetic. But I do really like the round-grooved forend as well. Very comfortable.

I'm not sure why yours wouldn't hold 8 of the 2 3/4" shells. By the length of the mag it should. In mine, I have to give it a firm push at the end and there's literally not an iota of extra space afterwards, but I've test-cycled it a fair deal and there are no problems with the action. Same with shooting, it cycles just fine. Maybe the spring is non-stock? I don't know beyond that.

I see that the strap ring on the wood stock is different, too. For the one I have, it's exactly the same as on the front, with no pivot, so I'd need to set that at the end of the clasp on the strap.

That bolt looks very clean, obviously a well-cared for weapon. But are those scratches I see on the mag, behind the slide?

I've got a brass bead too, as you can see, and while I doubt I'd get a rifle sight, I am planning on those fiber optic "tubes". like the ones from TRUGLO or the "LitePipe" ones. They're just so cheery!

I see you've got a pretty typical rubber butt plate. let me know how it feels using 3" slugs.

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Coe the one you bought is the one I want, but I'd settle for the Maverick made by Mossberg.
When you have time check out the over molded grips Hogue has for Mossberg Shotguns as well as for the Remingtons
They'ed shoo look perty on your gun...and there cheap priced too...A.H

Ricochit yours looks nice to and it even matches your wood floor.
Last night I ran across a site that had Police trade in's like yours for $186.00 I thought that was a little to much...A.H

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes, you can see on the magazine tube the blue's worn through. It's been fired a lot. I took it out today to pattern various buckshot and birdshot loads, and just blasted away bouncing plastic jugs and bottles with #8 field loads and 2 3/4" magnum #6s. It is very smooth and works without a hitch. I short-shucked it once, but that was me. The old recoil pad's stiffened up, and it kicks pretty hard with 3" magnums. I'm abusing my old surgically repaired shoulder with prosthetic upper humerus; I'm achy now.

I've thoroughly convinced myself that loading birdshot in a home defense gun is a bad idea. While the 15 pellet 00 buckshot loads at 7 yards group into a pattern about the diameter of the maximum spread of my hand (I can't quite cover it all with my hand, but can rotate my hand around to sweep it), the birdshot spreads about 15" by my scientifically calibrated Mk.1 eyeballs. Same for field loads with #8, 2 3/4" magnums with #6, or 3" magnums with either 1 5/8 or 1 7/8 oz. of #4s. I'd expect a spray of birdshot like that to be very painful later, maybe not in the heat of conflict, and I wouldn't count on it stopping a determined assailant. The buckshot, however, would all fit over the vital area of the central chest at this range, and I expect 15 00 at 1225 FPS arriving all together would make an impression. If not sufficiently so, there are 7 more charges behind the first. 120 pellets in all.

As for the magazine, remember that it's only rated to hold 7 2 3/4" or 6 3" shells. Mine happens to hold 7 3", IF they're of the folded crimp type. The older rolled crimp shells, which all buckshot used to come in, are about 1/8" longer than folded crimp shells. (Just measured an old '70s Federal rolled crimp 3" magnum 00 shell and a new Remington one with a folding crimp. The Federal is 0.11" longer than the Remington with folded crimp.That means .77" got saved in 7 of them.) No way 7 of those rolled crimps would fit in there. I'm sure there are individual differences in springs and perhaps tolerances in tube lengths and followers that could mean the difference between one extra shell or not. I recently bought another of these and gave it to my daughter (she got the nicest one, I got the cheapest) that's obviously much newer than mine with pressed in checkering and a semibeavertail forend, with different markings on the receiver. I'll have to try loading it up and see what it holds. For the 590 they changed the magazine and barrel lug so the magazine tube is longer and has the barrel lug and nut go around it, allowing it to be rated for one more shell, still with one less 3" than 2 3/4". It's based on the 500 design, but is enough different to really be another model.

Hey, I'm looking at my 500 that I haven't yet cleaned after firing, and note light leading in the last inch or so of barrel at the muzzle. It's pretty uniform, all starting right about even with the rear of the barrel lug. I wonder if this barrel was made with a slight choke, as I've read some nominally "cylinder" barrels are?

Nope, it's true cylinder. .730" straight through, not a hint of choking at the end. I can see there's no narrowing point when the light's reflecting through the clean bore. I'd tricked myself with the light looking in the muzzle, the dirty gray stuff was pretty uniform throughout.

Hey Coeloptera, if you're thinking about switching barrels, note that with the 20" full magazine one you'll have to switch magazine tubes to install any other barrel.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Maverick. Isn't that the one made by that other company Mossberg bought? I checked and saw the safety is in front of the trigger guard on that one. And they are crazy cheap.

I do like Hogue molded grips, but I'll have to see if they have one with a topfold stock.

One of the guys down at the range suggested something that I did find online already. It's a heatshield with integral ghostring sights. SHOTGUN ACCESSORIES - Clips'N'Stuff Firearm Accessories

It says it'll fit all 12 gauge barrels and is only about $25.00. Tsk...one more thing to add to my list, I think.

Heh, but yes AH, what can I say? I like my stuff to look pretty, or at least pretty and mean. At least it means I clean and service it all regularly and I figure just owning and knowing how to use the guns properly is manly enough. ;)

But are you looking to pick one up for hunting, HD, or multiple use? I still have to take mine out and see just how far and tight the groups will be with the 20" barrel. That will give me a better idea what 28" will give me.

- Coeloptera

·
Registered
167 Posts
Daughter and I went out and shot our Mossies today, plus I patterned a couple of old Federal 3" Magnum 00 through my old 28" modified & full Stevens 511A double. Lord, did it hurt to do that as my shoulder's already purple from the shooting I did yesterday with a bunch of 2 3/4" and 3" Magnums! I was surprised at how closely the double patterned the buckshot in those old top card, nonbuffered 15 pellet shells. At 7 yards a thumb-finger circle would almost enclose all 15, I had to break the finger contact about 3/4". The modified pattern was covered by a tight "C." It's a full handspan with the cylinder. Anyway, we had fun blasting milk jugs around with birdshot. If anybody tries to break in on my baby girl, she can handle the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts