Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done firing a bunch of rounds through it. When I sit outside for an hour, and it's below 32, the gun doesn't want to fire. I completely cleaned it and it still doesn't like firing in the cold. Any suggestions for an oil or anything to make it easier to fire in the cold? If not, I really don't care, I'll just fire my other guns in the wintertime.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
The SKS is a Russian rifle as you know. As you know as well, it is cold in Russia. So, one would think an SKS should work correctly in the cold, but if it is too cold the firing pin won't want to come out so you should make sure that the reciever assembly is cleaned. Take apart the reciever assembly and take out the firing pin and clean it. Aluminum is a soft metal that expands and decreases in temperature so it is important to keep it clean. Make sure there are no trace amounts of cosomline in that assembly. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
yep shake the rifle and you should hear the firing pin rattle.Its very common for people to not clean the bolt on this rifle, and any cosmo will make it stick

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
SKS, as well as all other russian firearms are made to work not matter what the conditions are. They are made to work through russian winters, wich makes Maine's winters look like summer Hawaii

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Here in Alaska, we do one of two things...Absolutely No oil at all on moving parts, or we use Amsoil 2 cycle Synthetic oil,coat the parts and wipe off with a clean cloth, It leaves enough lubrication but it will not freeze or go stiff at least to -20 F. Learned that the Hard way on winter Caribou Hunts.!
Rich

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
-30 last night...warmed up to-24 tonite..Clear as a bell outside with 20 inches of snow on the ground, you can see all the stars and with night vision its no problem to see critters.I'm gonna deep freeze the AK's this weekend and see how they function at subzero temps,all frosty and such. I built the Romanian a little tighter than normal to see if I could Improve the Accuracy and Not sacrifice Functionality!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I used to live there in Alaska. Best two years of my life. I was a salmon fisherman on the boats. It was hard work but worth every second. I would do it for free. I think everyone should visit at least ounce, I know I'll be back.

Moosey,
What part???

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I'm in the Copper Valley,115 miles north of Valdez near Glennallen...And summers are great with 24 hours of daylight so you can see the Grizzly Bears
coming !!! Temps in summer run 50 to 100 degrees, gives us a chance to thaw out! Copper River Reds are the #1 salmon in the world and I'm allowed 200 fish a year! Estimates are 1 Grizzly and 3 Black bear for every 3 square miles here, so my gun had better work when I need it to !:D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
How I envy you. You are living in paradise. Next time I go, I'll look you up.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
I've seen it 112 in the shade in early August...We get so much sunlight in the summer it is hard to sleep, so we stay busy getting ready for winter. Going to -50 tonite...Yikes !!! If we could only figure out how to store summer heat we 'd have it made.LOL If them Global Warming people would live here for a while they would soon realize that it is the SUN causing it ,cause when you ain't got it...Ya Freeze your Brass Monkey ! Alaskan's Know that we been warming up since the last Ice age...Thank Goodness!

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
yes, thats right... we start Frosting in September, I have seen 2 ft of snow on Sept 12 th . Our Moose season is Sept 1st-Sept. 20th and I've never killed a moose before the 15th..Just too warm and they stay high up to keep out of the Bugs..Mosquitoes, and worse them little Black Gnats that get in your Hatband or up your sleeves and Bite the devil out of you! Big Grizz are out eating all they can getting Fat for Winter !Blackies Too! By the way...You do have Barrel condoms Dont you??

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
THe only thing you have to do to avoid being mauled by a bear is to run faster than your buddies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts