Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im new to this forum. My names Kev and my only rifle experience is the SKS. I know alot about firearms, but when it comes to cleaning and shooting, the SKS is what im best at. I have some questions about the cleaning procedures. This is what I do.

1. clean all the action parts with gun scrubber. bolt, carrier, trigger group etc. wipe em down, let em dry and then lightly oil them.

2. I use a bronze brush on the barrel with hoppes 9 solvent spray. I then wet some patches and then use dry patches.

3. I clean the gas tube with a bronze brush and the piston with the gun scrubber. I make sure they are clean and dry when i put them back as to avoid buildup.

A few questions I have are mainly about what types of stuff to use on the gas port, piston and gas tube. Is what im doing to them too much, not enough? Should i clean the gas port regularly?

Also since its an unissued m59/66 from CAI (Century Arms) should I worry about the gas shutoff leaking? And what can I do if that ever happens?

Thanks in advance for any info you guys give me.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've never had to clean my gasport yet, I've got the tool to do it though. The tool used to do it looks like a little reamer, seems like the more you would use it you would wear the port eventually causing a malfunction.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where can I get a gas port reamer? Where you talking about using the bronze brush would damage the port, or the reamer would damage it? Also thanks for the welcome. and to jerry, I have that printout, it was one of the first things i got after my rifle, lol, thanks though.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,720 Posts
The port should not be a problem. Take it easy on the gas cylinder, scoring may cause bypass of gasses resulting in malf.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also, Where can i get some decent surplus stocks. I ordered one for 10 bucks offline at aimsurplus and it says its fits blade bayonet models, but Im pretty sure it wont fit the yugo, since the examples it gave all included chinese russian and romanian.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other thing i forgot to add. sorry about all this guys. i ordered the yugo zytel handgaurd and gas tube from Tapco. I have a wood stock and dont want the black handguard, so i also ordered the vented handguard? Will this fit? If it doesnt, I made plans to sell it to someone, so im not ordering stuff offline with no research lol.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
You don't need the reamer...I use a pipe cleaner soaked in Hoppes...all ya need.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,501 Posts
If the rifle functions well, and the gas valve is in good shape (sounds like it is!), then with your cleaning regimen you shouldn't have any problems. The corroded gas valves were due to the third-world shooters NOT cleaning well after a long time of shooting corrosive ammo.
My valve was slightly corroded, and a thin coating of flexible blue Permatex gasket sealer tightened it up - been working great for three years now! :nod:

The Yugo bayonet is longer than the Russian and Chinese blade bayos - it may cause some fit problems. You may be able to wittle out the extra length for the slot. Perhaps use a good wood chisel?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea, i intend on cleaning the gas port every now and then. the same with the tube, and making sure i dont scratch it etc. if the stock doesnt fit, i might....think about removing the bayonet....:( I love the !!!! thing.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use one of those white plastic ear cleaner things with the little loop at the end to scrape my gas port. It's a lot lighter duty than trying to disgorge my ear canals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts