close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

My stock needs help

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by willys, May 24, 2002.

1. willys

willys G&G Newbie

TEXAS
    I am trying to redo a stock, but not having to much luck. How can I get the finish or oil off of this stock? I am using mineral spirits, but it isn't working very well.

any suggestions

thanks
    Joe

2. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

below is a blurp from my stock instructions I have been using for years and many have enjoyed. Use according to the condition you have. Hope this helps,, Rick B

First I get a hold of E-Z-GO hand cleaner or GO-JO which is waterless and gritless. Most probably any will do. I rub it on stock in sink of course and then let it set for about 15-30 minutes depending on amount of dirt and if markings are on stock. Now I take and rub on a hand full more then take a tooth brush and rub it but not real hard near edges and cartouches. I rinse with warm water again careful around markings incase there weak.Use the tooth brush to brush off hand cleaner while rinsing.
    If the stocks is heavy oil and no cartouches use Trisodium Phosphate and make a paste out of it then tooth brush it on. Wait 10 minutes and rub some water on with the tooth brush to make sure it doesn't dry on stock. Now wait about 5-10 minutes and rinse you will see the dirt still but after it dries you will be amazed. You can repeat this method until happy but again be careful if there are Cartouches.If the stock is terrible I use a cement plastic mixing tub with TSP {Trisodium Phosphate} and hot water. I soak them for a day if needed. I scrub them periodically to remove the grime the TSP brought out at that point. Let water cool down don't worry about getting new hot water in the tub even though hot water is best. Now when satisfied rinse them off and hang dry for a day or more. The stock will look dark when you take it out but when it dries you will fall over.

3. willys

willys G&G Newbie

TEXAS
    Thanks Rick, but what is TSP, and where can you get it?
    thanks
    Joe

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

OOPS SORRY, I THOUGHT THIS POST WAS ABOUT YOUR ENRON STOCK...LOL