Gun and Game Forum banner

My Yugo Sks

7K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  DMoneyTT 
#1 ·
Here is my Yugo Sks that I got. I got about $750 dollars in it. Scope is a BSA 12x40, Dragonov stock, newly milled trigger assembly (Hated the stock trigger it came with, I have it set at 1/4 ounce trigger pull!), this is a old pic, but I changed out the bipod, now got a clamped bipod for it. Didn't want to mess around with the detachable mags, so kept with the origianal one, and works great. 200 yards im at moa. 1/2in tight groups using Silver Bear ammo. Wolf works good for 100 yard, but didn't like it at 200. Well, there it is......

I want to stress to everyone, clean these weapons. They do need TLC. There is a safety issue with these weapons. Clean, then clean again, I don't want to see anyone hurt or killed by not inspecting, cleaning, ect......... Slam Fire is the worse possible problem you can encounter. If you have ever had, or any weapon in that matter have it "Bump" or "Slam" on you, DO NOT SHOOT IT AGAIN! Until you have it inspected by a professional gunsmith. Safety is always better then dead. If one does it to you, there is a problem with it. They are not designed to do this. Just a thought for you all to remember... :)

See less See more
#29 · (Edited)
Well my stock YUGO will do this at 50 Yds. with iron sights and my reloads not much point right now at trying to test it out any farther I can't focus on a target that well till I get my new specks. First of the year I'm putting a Choate drill and tap mount and a nice 3 x9 quality scope on it. Then I can find out just how accurate this rifle really is.

#31 · (Edited)
wow...you guys are too nice...

I know this post is ancient, but I just had to comment. This guy is obviously another internet sniper/mall ninja. I hope he really isn't one of the men defending our country. You guys were pretty lenient in busting his chops. I think that there should be some level of clarification in order, in case someone stumbles upon this post (like I did) and doesn't realise it's BS. (Even though the guy insisted that he "didn't want anyone to call him a liar"...why would anyone do that?)

1. SKS's usually shoot 3-4" groups from a rest with a decent shooter at the controls. If you and your rifle can do better with factory ammo (much less surplus ammo) than you get a big pat on the back. I've never even seen a CZ bolt action 7.62x39mm rifle shoot better than 2" at 100 yards with silver bear. Hell, I was impressed it would even do that well with cheapo plinking ammo. I'm talking about 5-10 shot groups with some considerable time between shots. No one cares about 3 shot groups. I've shot double taps through the same hole by sheer luck before, but it doesn't mean I usually do that. And flyers count if they aren't called flyers. Just because you don't like that you had a 1" group IF you left out a 3" flyer in the middle of the shot sequence doesn't make it a group smaller than 3".

2. The 7.62x39mm round is certainly lethal at 500 yards and farther. I can't believe this was contested. SKS's and AK's have 600 and 1000 meter sight gradients for a reason. A 124 grain FMJ still carries 400 ft/lbs of energy at 500 yards. If this won't kill you then all the people who have been killed by 9mm's, 40's, .38's, .45acps, .32acp's, .380's, .22lr's and a plethora of other calibers must have just died from fright instead. This is more energy than many of these rounds have at the muzzle. The reason snipers don't use it is because it isn't MORE than enough to reliably get the job done under extreme conditions. Variables are much tougher to compensate for than with a heavier bullet at higher velocities (such as a .308 Winchester). If a shooter estimates his target to be at 400 yards, but it is actually at 500 yards, the bullet will strike almost exactly FOUR FEET below the target. This is a miss in anyone's book unless you are hunting the broad side of a barn. Also, the bullet is in flight for almost exactly a second before it covers the full 500 yards, so a lot can happen before the bullet reaches its target. Wind can change directions and speed, the target can move, something can intersect the bullets flight path. Basically the bullet can still potentially deliver serious damage or death to a target, but its poor long-range ballistics make this a much harder task than it would be with higher powered rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.