Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given this handgun by someone in my family and I have no information whatsoever about it. It's obviously worse for wear but after removing what rust I could, I could find no marks or writing or numbers that I could use to identify make/model/year. I've tried researching what I thought it would be but so far I have not seen anything like it. Does anyone have any guesses or theories?
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Gun barrel Gun accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Antique starter's pistol? Is the barrel rifled?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Antique starter's pistol? Is the barrel rifled?
Doubtful considering that the interior diameter of the barrel appears to be hexagonal. The barrel is also rusted on the inside so it's impossible to tell. Unless of course the hexagonal shape of the barrel is twisted forming a kind of old rifling...

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Percussion cap so after 1820. Black powder. Muzzle loading.
Polygonal rifling so after 1853.

Stretching it but...
Out on a limb guess Early french or British dueling pistol? If I was a gambling man, I would say it was part of a set and some distant relative has or had its mate.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Percussion cap so after 1820. Black powder. Muzzle loading.
Polygonal rifling so after 1853.

Stretching it but...
Out on a limb guess Early french or British dueling pistol? If I was a gambling man, I would say it was part of a set and some distant relative has or had its mate.
Aren't dueling pistols usually all fancied up with engravings and such? Could be tho. My guess of a starter's pistol was pretty out there.

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Dueling pistols are a slim possibility.
Thing is, I have came across this type of gun somewhere, in my past experience. Square butt, one piece barrel- frame. Percussion cap with hammer down the center.
I am pretty sure I remember it being in a set.
That does not mean dueling though, just a stretch of a guess on my part.
It really has my interest peaked. I am doing some research trying to find it or at least something similar.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,921 Posts
A fairly typical little Derringer type pistol of the 19th century. Colt, Keno, Butler, etc. made these wee pistols

Reactions: PaleHawkDown

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
historical A small flintlock/percussion gun, usually for women, which can be hidden in a muff hand-warmer, handbag or jacket pocket.
Many would have had a screw barrel to load, unscrew the barrel and drop a proper size ball in the chamber and powder to top it off and screwd back onto the handpiece.
screw barrels had a better ball retention than a patched ball that could come loose and dump powder and ball in the muff warmer, purse or pocket.
Photograph Air gun Wood Trigger Mammal

My vote is for the Ladies muff pistol.

Pistols of this type with longer barrels were called boot guns.
Air gun Gun accessory Wood Gun barrel Trigger

And there was another called a buggy pistol that was usually spartan in embelishment with a odd shaped grip (saw handle) and a longer barrel than a boot or muff.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun accessory Shotgun

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
What throws me, is the square butt handle.
Also the fact that it fastened to the frame,after the frame took a curve down unlike most "derringers" of that era. Instead of the handle straight in to the frame with the wood making the curve down.
Muff or boot pistol. My vote.This Makes sense.

The end of the barrel seems to show it has Polygonal rifling.If it has,
then it can not be older then 1853. Polygonal Rifling was not invented till then plus it was a couple years before folks started copying it.

Kinda go with Pale Hawk on the date, and the fact that it was not a major brand name pistol. Cept a little narrower date wise 1855-1870. Wish it had some kind of proof mark.

.A similar pair of pistols, at sale. I remember seeing years ago. They make sense now. One in each boot.
But do not take my suggestions as gospel, only a starting point to do more research. I can only relate to my experiences.
Often just enough knowledge to either,get me into trouble, or on the path.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
If you feel like going through a couole hundred files this website might have what your looking for.
American firearms - gun makers, trader, manufacturers, marchandise
prior to the year 1900.

·
Registered
20,959 Posts
I used to have one in pieces almost exactly like it in the store, flat butt and all, but it was missing the hammer spring and one of the grip panels. The bore and barrel were in great shape, though.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I was given this handgun by someone in my family and I have no information whatsoever about it. It's obviously worse for wear but after removing what rust I could, I could find no marks or writing or numbers that I could use to identify make/model/year. I've tried researching what I thought it would be but so far I have not seen anything like it. Does anyone have any guesses or theories? View attachment 163407
Any possibility its a screw barrel?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts