Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
This or the firearm appraisal section. We'll need good pictures. There's one or two folks here shockingly good at identifying rare antiques.

I'll caution that most aren't going to want to invest a lot of time on a one-off post. We get a LOT of people with one post who ask for Identification, but never return to check replies. It's a bit of a waste of time. Make a post in the introduction forum, and when you do ask please post good pictures. Sights, hammers, barrel, grips, any markings, bore, muzzle, approximate gauge, etc.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I'd have to know a lot more about condition to estimate a real price. Based on the three pictures, maybe $100?

Bolts can still be found sometimes. If the wood is decent, and the bore is good, maybe more $.

Here's a recent auction on a complete rifle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd have to know a lot more about condition to estimate a real price. Based on the three pictures, maybe $100?

Bolts can still be found sometimes. If the wood is decent, and the bore is good, maybe more $.

Here's a recent auction on a complete rifle.
Are there collectors looking for guns like these?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couch Luggage and bags Wood Bag Chair
Thanks. It doesn't have any sentimental value as it wasn't his firearm when he served. I'm just wondering if it's worth looking for someone to buy it (would anyone want it as is) or is it basically a worthless piece of junk? It's been in the family 'for ever'. Someone once told me it's similar to the gun that killed JFK. Can't confirm or deny that on ANY level

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
There's some value there. Not a lot, but someone will buy it.
Posted on Gunbroker to reach the widest possible audience is your best bet. Good pictures and an honest description. Need to figure out shipping costs so you don't get burned. I can't say what it will go for of course. If you can unload it for some cash, it's probably better than having an old beater leaning in the corner.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's some value there. Not a lot, but someone will buy it.
Posted on Gunbroker to reach the widest possible audience is your best bet. Good pictures and an honest description. Need to figure out shipping costs so you don't get burned. I can't say what it will go for of course. If you can unload it for some cash, it's probably better than having an old beater leaning in the corner.
Next question: is it legal to own, sell, ship it? I have no licenses, permits, etc

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
That's a state by state question, and I don't know all the laws. In most states it's legal to own, sell, and ship. In most states you can ship that yourself to an FFL or a C&R holder in the same or another state. In most states you can sell that directly to anyone not forbidden from owning a firearm.
Anything over 50 years old is considered a Curio & Relic, FYI. That is the C&R license I mentioned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's a state by state question, and I don't know all the laws. In most states it's legal to own, sell, and ship. In most states you can ship that yourself to an FFL or a C&R holder in the same or another state. In most states you can sell that directly to anyone not forbidden from owning a firearm.
Anything over 50 years old is considered a Curio & Relic, FYI. That is the C&R license I mentioned.
That's funny. On pawn stars they always say guns have to be from before 1898 to be able to buy and sell without license. Maybe that's just a pawn shop thing. Thanks very much for your time and help!

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Those are antiques and not considered firearms. Anything else is either private sale in free states or ffl transfer in non-free states. Anything over 50 is a curio and relic which is a different classification than antique. C&R still requires an ffl, but a C&R license holder holds a limited FFL only valid for C&R items.
that’s the short version anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those are antiques and not considered firearms. Anything else is either private sale in free states or ffl transfer in non-free states. Anything over 50 is a curio and relic which is a different classification than antique. C&R still requires an ffl, but a C&R license holder holds a limited FFL only valid for C&R items.
that’s the short version anyway.
thank you very much

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts