Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I will post this thread in the reloading forum also)

I have a nagant pistol and I am tired of looking at this thing in my drawer and never being able to fire it. So I will sell/ trade it for something else to shoot, or start reloading. I would buy the bare minimum since I don't really have the room or want to spend 2-300$ on a kit. So what would I be looking at for a:

reload kit w/ dies
powder, bullets, cases, primers
anything else I missed

What would the estimated cost per bullet be?

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
7.62 Russian Nagant

7.62 RUSSIAN REVOLVER AMMUNITION
MADE BY FIOCCHI
5 BOX MINUMUM MIX OR MATCH
ANYTHING ON THE WEBSITE

FREE SHIPPING

Part Number #OBSLT-0060, 0065

$35 BOX OF 50

$300 - 500 Rounds.

$575 - 1000 Rounds.

www.ammoman.com

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know about those Joe. 35$ is a little steep. I was wondering if it would be cheaper in the long run to make them.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,684 Posts
My buddy has ordered the dies from Graf&Sons - in the $26 range IIRC. Reloadable brass is about $24-26/100. Use the standard .32 bullets available anywhere, powder runs about $22/pound (sometimes $15 at a gunshow), primers are standard small pistol - about $20/1000.
I don't have the catalogs handy, but it should workout much cheaper than Fiocchi.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
You can always shoot .32 Longs or .32 H&R Magnums like alot of them do, but I'm not comfortable doing that!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Buy the Lee Aniversary Kit. This will hold you for a year or two before you feel the need to upgrade. On the bright side, will still be able to use everything that comes with it if you continue to load, and you don't have to spend a fortune up front. This will run you about $70.

The main things that people forget when starting to reload that never come in kits:

Stainless steel dial calipers = $20

Loading blocks = $5/each
Some kits have one, which is totally useless; you need two minimum. You can also make them out of scrap wood. The Lee kit that I suggest does not come with a block.

Plastic spray bottle = $1/each
You can dilute Lee sizing lube with rubbing alcohol and apply it with a plant sprayer. The kit comes with a tube of this lube.

Five gallon bucket and collander devoted to reloading (they can't be used for anything else due to lead styphnate) = @$5
You will use these for cleaning cases; a tumbler isn't necessary when you first start.

Two manuals. I recommend Lee's Modern Reloading and Speer #13. If you get a Lee kit, you can sometimes get the Lee book for an extra $5 or so. The manuals will run @ $20-30.

So far, @$135. This is more or less your "fixed" cost. Everything else will be either components (brass, bullets, powder, and primers) or caliber-specific (i.e. dies).

Lee steel 3-die set, 7.62 Nagant = $20

You will also want the Lee 7.62 Nagant case trimming attachment (the tool comes with the kit); this is @$3.

Call it @$150 for your equipment.

100 pc. new Bertram 7.62 Nagant brass = $80
There may be a cheaper source out there, but this is all that I could find. Starline does not appear to make new brass in this cartridge. On the bright side, these should last for many loadings.

100 Sierra .30 (.308") FMJ-RN = $11

Powder and primers must be bought locally to avoid haz mat fees. One lb. of powder will run $15-$20, depending on the brand. 1,000 small pistol primers will be @$16-$17.

In figuring the cost, I will assume that your brass will last 10 loadings. I will use the low powder cost ($15), because it will not take anywhere near a pound to load 1,000 Nagant cartridges. 1,000 7.62 Russian Nagant Revolver cartridges:

Brass = $80
Bullets = $110
Powder = $15
Primers = $17

This will work out to be @$11.10/box of 50.

In other words, loading one case of this cartridge will "pay" for your equipment costs. If you already have brass, your costs will be much lower. If you have not saved your brass, blame yourself. ALWAYS save brass for obscure cartridges, whether you reload or not. As you can see, this stuff is worth some serious $.

You may be able to find a source of cast bullets as well. This cartridge may be able to use some of the Speer Plinker lead bullets designed for .308 rifles, which would be cheaper as well.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. FEG I appreciate the detail you went into. It's alot cheaper than I thought. I was expecting the dies to be really high - $50+. It is still alot to have to bear in up front costs, but I do see the long term value of this method If I shoot 1000 bullets, then I have pretty much broke even.

Right now I am in the midst of a very expensive project (secret) 7mm mag don't say anything! We have birthdays and Christmas ahead. Maybe I will do something if I begin to get some heavy hours at work.

I 'll let you guys in on my project in a short while. Be patient and have fun guessing. You aren't even close.....

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
Making a time machine to go back before 1994 and buy up all the pre-bans? :D

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing to do with guns. I know this sounds like a waste but it was something that came to me while went scouting for vacation spots.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,838 Posts
Your scouting out a place we can all meet to go shooting & run Joe's underwear up a flag pole at the same time?:target: :eek: :nod:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, sorry Jerry, It has nothing to do with guns, shooting, reloading etc....

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
Originally posted by jerry
Your scouting out a place we can all meet to go shooting & run Joe's underwear up a flag pole at the same time?:target: :eek: :nod:

I go Commando buddy! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts