Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A national database containing images of ballistic markings from all new and imported guns sold in the U.S. should not be created at this time, says a new report from the National Research Council. Such a database has been proposed to help investigators link ballistics evidence -- cartridge cases or bullets found at crime scenes -- to a firearm and the location where it was originally sold. But given the practical limitations of current technology for generating and comparing images of ballistic markings, searches of such an extensive database would likely produce too many candidate "matches" to be helpful, the report says.

More...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,376 Posts
I read the press release. It has some useful information in it. However, their opinion that microstamping cartridge cases may be useful overlooks a simple fact: It's not all that difficult to change out firing pins and extractors if you know what you are doing.

Change the parts, change the 'signature' of the gun in question, render evidence gathered at the crime scene worthless. On most modern semi-automatic pistols, changing out the barrel is little more difficult. I'd also like to point out that it's much easier to dispose of small metal bits like firing pins, extractors and pistol barrels than it is to dispose of an entire gun.

The whole thing looks to me like a solution in search of a problem; or in other words, more antigun horse hockey meant to be an impediment to our Second Amendment rights.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
It is just another example of anti-gunners expecting Criminals to be good. As such it is another attack on the freedom of law abiding citizens. As stated in the bill, any handgun that can not be made to microstamp cases will go on the Unsafe Firearms list. Honest citizens will have to say by-by to their revolvers. And, restating Cyrano, criminals are going to obey this new law just like they obey Gun Free Zones. I see this whole thing is just another blind attack on gun owners.

·
Registered
591 Posts
This whole microstamping thing sounds like of another case of "if no one will buy your product, get a law passed requiring it." My other hobby is cars so I will point out airbags (only a couple of companies originally made them, and they were very poor sellers when optional), and catalytic converters. Once again only a couple of manufacturers and due to the increased fuel consumption, high cost, and dubious beneficial effects (most of what a cat does can be done by adjusting the mixture and timing) the manufacturers wouldn't use them until they were mandated.

This is just a way for the microstamping guys to sell a product no one has a need for.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,657 Posts
Ridding a gun of it's microstamping (without it being obvious like removing a serial #) would be relatively easy for even a novice criminal. They could also scatter brass obtained at a shooting range and confuse investigators. This and ballsitic fingerprinting are worse than useless wastes of time and $. More examples of exploiting hype, emotion, and "technology" to further politicians careers and hurt good citizens. Not only does this infringe on our rights, but it's counterproductive in a fight against crime.

Here's an interesting video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAlixegkf0o]YouTube - NRA: The Truth About "Ballistic Fingerprinting"[/ame]

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
This has been tried in the past, it did not work and was far more expensive than was estimated. Basically, a failure. So, the anti-gun Dems want to try this again huh?

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,657 Posts
This has been tried in the past, it did not work and was far more expensive than was estimated. Basically, a failure. So, the anti-gun Dems want to try this again huh?
You know, for a party that's supposed to be "for the people" and the working man, I'm getting kind of tired by seeing a "D" next to the Legislators that propose this kind of drivel. Maybe someday the Dems will wake up and get folks that do good things. I hope to see this sometime soon. It'd be great to get better choices than we do.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
With the continued failures of the House and Senate, I feel people will see the need to examine the reasons why they have such a low approval ratings. I completely agree with you pilot... it just seems that seeing a "D" next to the Legislators that propose this kind of drivel is a common occurrence.

Both parties have lost their way, IMHO ... due to greed, personal ambitions and not doing their job of representing the people. I agree... I am tired of needing to take the lesser of two evils.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts