National Coin Shortage

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by TNPIRATE, Sep 29, 2020.

1. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

What a joke. Back when I was sick at one point I felt a bit better to go to Kroger. I wanted something different. So I bought me a watermelon, and a cantaloupe. When I went to check out Kroger wanted the correct change. They were not giving change back.
    So what Kroger did was put the change on my Kroger discount card.

Now this is a joke. They are taking your change and giving you points on the Kroger card. Yet still keeping your change. It's not costing them anything to put the points on your card. You can only use those points at Kroger. Meanwhile Kroger still has your change.

This whole change shortage had to be thought up by big corporations to rip off the American people. Sucks how these big moguls with deep pockets can legally rip us off.

Ranger4, BigEd63, TXplt and 2 others like this.
  2. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Mark there are some stores here where you cant use cash unless exact. I have had to let them keep my change on several occasions. I still dont understand it myself because it is not like dollar bills not being printed and they wear out and being destroyed constantly. They do that near me and its a federal money exchange to exchange old paper money to new. Thing is its a coin shortage and the **** coins are not going anywhere. Its the same amount in circulation that was before the Covid Bull crap. I think its all some BS the government is feeding us.

3. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Starting to see signs at places here, requesting exact change. I don't think it's become so bad that they refuse to give change, however.

TNPIRATE and BigEd63 like this.
  4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

There is no Coin Shortage, it's all a political ploy. What it comes down to is the CDC has issued guidelines to all retailer's wanting their employee's to not handle currency for the fear of transmitting Covid.

Just for fun, I took a pickle jar full of coins to a grocery store that had this BS coin shortage sign at each cashier stand. I purchased $20+ worth of groceries, and when I started counting out the coins the cashier freaked out and called the manager.
    He said that I couldn't pay with the coins and then I reminded him that this currency is Legal Tender anywhere in the USA. A store or bank cannot refuse to take it by Federal Law.
    The manager then called a Deputy Sherriff that was working security over, and I laughed when the deputy told the manager that they had to accept my currency for the groceries because it is US Currency. The manager was pissed, and the Deputy and myself got a good laugh!

5. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 <------------<<<-

I haven’t had any issues getting quarters from the bank at all. They haven’t had any signs.

TNPIRATE, BigEd63 and rando like this.
  6. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    I have so much change that I end up with. I usually take pocketful of it to the store when shopping. The cashier will gratefully exchange it because they usually have little change in their drawer. Never had any turn it down. I have jars full of change and need to recycle it sometime.

shanebrews, TNPIRATE, BigEd63 and 3 others like this.
  7. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

A convenience store here has a sign, stating they are happy to buy a person's change. I don't know that there is actually a shortage, but banks are kinda cutting back on personal contact, so businesses don't make as many trips to the bank as they once did. I even got a letter from our bank that the government is waiving the usual RMDs on IRA's, reducing in bank contact, because of the pandemic.

TNPIRATE, BigEd63 and Txhillbilly like this.
  8. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

You either got "coin" or you don't.

Ranger4 and TNPIRATE like this.
  9. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    We have a 5 gallon wine jug at the foot of the bed. Before debit cards and buying online was so prevalent, over the course of a year we would fill it about a third of the way up with change, and I would take it to the bank where Junior has a bank account (we've had an automatic withdrawal from our checking account since he was born into that account; it has a substantial amount in it now) after sorting it into pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. They would run it through the coin counter and credit Junior's account. It averaged about $350 a trip. These days, hardly any change makes in into the jar because like many people we use debit cards for everything. I put about 70 cents into it last week because I stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts to get a donut and coffee while I was out doing the shopping. It was the first time I'd put any change into it in a month.

K75RT, big shrek and TNPIRATE like this.
  10. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Just practicing their conversion to a cashless society so they can have more control over you and track your purchases.

goat roper, mdj696, Ranger4 and 7 others like this.
  11. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I got tired of our big change jar and change in pocket so got me a "Redneck Bank" account and debit card which I now use extensively. It keeps me from having too much change.

I really like having a "Redneck Bank" card and the fact when I call them I get a real live person rather than some recording. The interest rates are decent too.

I've got quarters and dimes mostly for my sight adjustment in the car (they work reasonably well on the EoTechs). But I gotta laugh at our HUGE water bottle filled up over half way with coins. I'd LOVE for some crook to try to make off with it and lug that heavy thing only over a hundred bucks or two. Or try to make a quick getaway that ain't gonna happen. Only to have the thing break from being banged around scattering coins everywhere.

I'm not exactly worried much anymore about people tracking my transactions; stuff's scattered in so many places that even I have trouble remembering what's where. When I pass on there'll be one helluva treasure hunt with the grandkids -- which will only be made better by trying to find the ammo that goes with the gun you found somewheres. A huge fun puzzle.

12. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've had a couple try that with me. I tell them to reduce my total to the next lower dollar amount and give me the appropriate number of bills. Then they "oh we cannot do that because our register will be short". I reply, "but you're okay with stealing from thousands of customers everyday, that's a sick business model". They can find change when you're holding up a line and showing everyone within earshot what thieves they are.

K75RT, big shrek and TNPIRATE like this.
  13. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

it's a ploy to force you to use a debit card.
    1 your easier to track.
    2 the stores make more money when you use a card.
    [you have no way to gauge your spending so most just get that one more thing without worrying about not having the cash]

ACfixer, goat roper, K75RT and 2 others like this.
  14. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum Forum Contributor

When all this first hit and signs were appearing on store doors I went and talked to my bank about it. I asked, what's this coin shortage about. The response was, there is no coin shortage.
    That's coming straight from the bank. If there was a coin shortage wouldn't the banks be the first to run out of coins and money?

15. BudW

BudW G&G Evangelist

Plenty here

TNPIRATE and ChaZam like this.
  16. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Evangelist

Arkansas
    It's a great big steaming pile of control freak crap imho.

Makes me wonder if some of these stores provide health insurance etc. and don't want the cost of their employees getting I'll from handling Covid19 contaminated filthy lucer? And still all about their bottom line.

17. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

A lot of check outs have signs stating they only take credit or debit cards....prelude to cashless society.

18. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

I have a large bank bag of quarters and dollar coins in my truck. No shortage.

19. Fishhead

Fishhead G&G Evangelist

I've started carrying a bunch of change just for these places. I make a game of it. I take as much time as I can and use lots of pennies. Particularly when the cashier can see I'm counting out 12 or 15 pennies when I have dimes and nickels in my hand. I give myself one bonus point for every Millennial eye roll I get and 5 points for every customer I can hold up for over a minute.

Like I said, I make a game of it. Franchises are available, I'm the Arizona No Dime Backs but the:
    San Diego (now LA) Changers,
    Dallas CoinStars
    and
    Philadelphia 76 cent'ers are still available. Or make up your own.

TNPIRATE and shanebrews like this.
  20. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly G&G Evangelist

They can have all the signs that they want, but they cannot refuse to take USA currency. If they do, contact your AG's office as well as the US Treasury dept. and file a report on the store.

TNPIRATE, rando and Huey Rider like this.