close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

National Match Rifle?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Swede, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Swede

Swede G&G Newbie

I shot in my first National Match competition last month and it was a blast! I used an H&R M-1 (as issued)that I have and I didn't do to bad for a rookie. Everyone else had AR-15's that were built for competition.
    I have an AR-15/A1 with the old style sights. Would it only require me to change the upper by purchasing a new Nat Match type upper to combine with my lower to get me started?

2. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Swede, you wouldn't have to change anything. But shooting in competition now is a real pain in the A** using an A1 upper. All you really have to do is swap the upper with an A2 (with NM sight) upper for a little over $100 bucks and you are ready to go. I personally believe that if you are using it in competition it is also good to get the DCM legal free float handguards. Then you can compete anywhere, you basically have an A2, and it looks just like everybody elses standard A2. The big plus side is that it is ALOT cheaper to practice. Congrats and Good Luck!

3. Swede

Swede G&G Newbie

So, use my old barrel (an H-BAR) with the new upper on my old lower? for $100, that sounds good. Are the barrels easy to change?

4. May I also suggest an NM trigger (two stage with a lighter pull). It would probably help your accuracy.

5. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Hey Swede, sorry for the delay in answering your question. YES! changing barrels out on an upper is very simple. You can do it with house tools except for the barrel wrench. I promise you, you need absolutely nothing else. If you want to do that, let me know and I'll e-mail or post you all the techniques and tricks. Good Shooting!

6. Swede

Swede G&G Newbie

Eric, I would like to try it, it sounds like the best option for me now. Post the info when you get a chance.
    Thanks for the help!......Swede.

7. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Hey Swede, go to the thread: How much does a 16" barrel run? How do I switch? in the AR15/M16 Forum. It's an older one, if that doesn't answer all your questions, just let me know. Good Shooting! partner.

8. Doesn't hurt to have a block and a torque wrench.