close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Native American names

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Jul 7, 2002.

1. This Indian boy goes to his mother one day with a puzzled look on his face.
    "Say, mom, why is my bigger brother named Mighty Storm?"
    She told him, Because he was conceived during a mighty storm."
    Then he asked, "Why is my sister named Cornflower?"
    She replied, "Well, your father and I were in a cornfield when we made her."
    "And why is my other sister called Moonchild?'
    The mother said, "We were watching the moon landing while she was conceived."
    Mother Indian paused and asked her son, "Tell me Torn Rubber, why are you so curious?"

2. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Dale:

Would it be "politically correct" for me to send your joke to my native American niece? She's pretty open minded but I'm a little "gun shy".

Just wondering.

Thanks,

Oxford

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Reminds me of my old Indian girlfriend.. Ikindawannalayya!

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Dale, did the Navahos learn to spell from the French? I noticed the words are not spelled the way they are pronounced.

5. Oxford,

You can send any joke I post....no problem at all. In fact, I get my jokes from a Navajo web site, so, if it doesn't offend us (not much does actually) then I see no reason someone can't have a chuckle too.

Klaus, the Navajo language is many hundreds of years old. I think any resemblance to the French is strickly coincidental.

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I seriously doubt the used our alphabet originally. Someone from Europe had to teach them how to spell. From the weird spelling, I am guessing it was the French.

7. I see where you're coming from Klaus.

The Spanish had more contact with the ancient Navajos, Hopis, Pueblos, etc. than anyone.

Now, there is very, very little in the Navajo dialect or language that would suggest a Spanish influence.

As far as ancient language goes, you are right in assuming very little was written years past because the Navajos had no written language until around 1800.

Who inspired the writings, French, etc., I'm not sure. We never persued that issue.

All we have ever been taught is that Mother Earth gave us everything and we seldom questioned that in early on.

An unusual story is that my wife ran into an Eskimo lady (not sure what tribe) a few years back and they talked together fluently. Seems that the Navajo language was very close to the Eskimo's that it was scary, according to me wife.

The only contact that the Navajos ever had with Eskimos, if you accept the theory, is that all Native Americans are decendants of an Aisian race that transcended by way of a solid land (or frozen)Bearing Strait.

A lot of members believe that but the elders feel that they we were delivered by the Spirit and there is no connection.

So the possibility of your comment is did the French have an influence in Russia and now, Alaska, way back when?

Interesting point from you, as usual, Klaus.....fer sure.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2002