Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about filling a niche in my rifle inventory with a .22. Got several large bore rifles but no .22. So...I'm considering a .22 as my next purchase.

Just returned from looking over and handling two new out of box rifles. the Henry lever action .22...and the Marlin .22. Henry is priced at $195 + taxes and Marlin at $125 plus taxes. Both have walnut stocks.

I especially liked the lighter weight of the Henry. Wouldn't hesitate on paying the difference, either. But, does someone on this site have personal experience with either of these two rifles which could shed some light on how they work in action?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Ox

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My uncle has the Marlin Lever with a Gold Trigger, and I have shot it on many occasions and hunted with it. I like the heft and solid feel of it. It handles like a Marlin 30-30 IMHO. Shoots very well. If the novel idea of having a Lever action 22 to your library tickles your fancy, I say it's a great little rifle.
I can't say much on the Henry.I haven't shot their 22's.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Marlin I handled had bolt action. Am I correct in that Marlin also makes lever action, also?

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shaun...Bingo...you found it. :right: Thanks a bunch! Wonder how it's priced retail?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,699 Posts
Oxford, I have the Marlin 39A lever rifle, several Marlin bolt-action .22 rifles, and the Henry H001 lever-action.
I like 'em all! :)

They do have their particular traits, so it depends on what you want it to do.

The Henry is butter smooth, and the service from Henry is SUPERB!! Anthony Imperato, the President, WILL make you happy. Any problems, he'll have it shipped, repaired and shipped back on his dime. Paul Manos, a tech rep, is a member over on RimfireCentral.com - another great guy.
These guns are accurate little shooters, and even as small and light as it is, I have no problem handling it as big as I am. It is an excellent plinker - one of my most fun .22 rifles.

The Marlin 39S is better finished, larger and heavier - definitely more substantial. But, it's not as smooth as the Henry. I have the Marbles Tang Peep Sight on mine, and I really like the arrangement. I do have some ejection issues - not too surprising in a 1952-dated rifle! I just need to get the small part. A very good rifle, but much more expensive. Runs about $400 or so new, $250 used if you can find one. Nice walnut stocks.

The Marlin bolt rifles are excellent shooters - not competition grade, but plenty good for most shooters. There is an after market trigger available that is nearly match-grade, but I'm satisfied with a good polishing and a lighter spring. You can get SS or blued, and nice laminated stocks too. Add a good scope, it's a tight shooter! Probably the best choice for more target-oriented shooting and varmint work. The .2WMR will reach further and anchor anything up to coyote size. The .17HMR and HM2 are fun, but much more specialized. The .22 rifles come with either box mags or tubes, your choice.

Well, that's the basic rundown - any questions? :cool:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I personally prefer Savage rimfire bolt actions over Marlins. I have a few Marlins, but I like the feel and accuracy I get out of my Savages better.
You might want to give them a look too Ox, because all new model Savage Rimfires have the excellent Accu-Trigger!
http://www.savagearms.com/rimfire_home.htm

Just depends on what style of action and manufacture you want.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey...thanks! You guys have given me a lot to think over. I appreciate all your comments. Problem is the more you learn the more you realize all the differences to choose from. But...I'm wanting this as a plinking rifle only. Don't want all the bells and whistles...just a fun shooting, reliable, accurate .22 rifle that I may eventually give to my grandson when he's the proper age.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I couldn't beat that price for sure.:nod: :right: I'm keeping my options open for a while. This search is gett'in really intersting, thanks to your help, along with the other's above who've made comments.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Ox,
Just within the last month, I was comparing a few lever action .22 myself. I personally liked the Henry. Since I was buying for the wife, she was more amorous of the Savage bolt action. I haven't been able to take it out shooting yet. I agree with you about how the Henry felt and handled.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That lever action Henry rifle was nice...just about like the feel of a woman.:kinky: It has a nice and smooth action.:loveydove Wonder why it was given the name of a man?:nod:
Wait a minute.:) I just about forgot for a moment that I'm looking for a rifle for plunking.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Ox,

I have a Marlin 39a that was made in 1941. Just about all .22 ammo shoots to point of aim in my rifle. I have found that the subsonic stuff “CB shorts, CCI longs” don’t have quite the range and so shoot a little low past about 25 yards. It’s a very nicely made blued steel and wood rifle. It is heavier than most other .22s but, in my opinion, that makes it a better target rifle. Nice and steady. Topped with a 4x scope, it’s deadly on any piece of paper inside 50 yards, and under good conditions can get the job done out to 100 yards.

My wife has a Marlin 39d (carbine) made in 1971. Also topped with a 4x scope it has a shorter tube (by 4”) but there is no significant handicap because of the lost 4”. I will admit that neither of these two rifles will win a world class rifle shoot. However, we’ve had friendly shootouts together taking out 12 ga. hulls off a 2X4 out to 70 yards or so and had a lot of fun doing it too!

I have been interested in a Henry with the thought of keeping it stock, but it is a little lower on the buy list than some other pieces I’ve been wanting. I haven’t shot the Henry so I can’t speak to how it shoots.

Hope this helps.

-UR

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Shaun said:
Ox another thing to consider are the romanian training rifles you can get through SOG 59 + Transfer fee.
Are you talking about Souther Ohio Gun? Are those listed on their website? Coudn't seem to find it on there.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Again, Uncle Red, .22 Guy, troylaplante, Shaun, MyArmour, Big Dog and Lefty O...thanks a bunch for taking your time to respond to my request. You've all been of much help with your candid comments. The answer might just be that I need both the Henry...and the Marlin 39 .22's. There's nothing wrong with having both? :right: Or is that just sitting on the fence?:D

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Oxford said:
Again, Uncle Red, .22 Guy, troylaplante, Shaun, MyArmour, Big Dog and Lefty O...thanks a bunch for taking your time to respond to my request. You've all been of much help with your candid comments. The answer might just be that I need both the Henry...and the Marlin 39 .22's. There's nothing wrong with having both? :right: Or is that just sitting on the fence?:D
Well, I didn't add much, so here's my 2 cents. My uncle owns one of the Henry golden boy lever actions, and it shoots great. He is a pretty big guy, 6 foot or a litle more, and he loves the way it handles/shoots. I'll agree that the action is smooth as butter. :lucky:

The Marlin I'm not sure about. I would go with the heavier of the two personally, but that's just me. I do have my dad's old Winchester 94/22XTR and it is my favorite gun to shoot, hands down. Lever .22's are sweet. I try not to take it out too much because I want to keep it nice to hand down to my toddler son, someday. He won't ever know my dad, so it's pretty important to me that it is kept in good shape.

I think you'll be happier with either, or both. For the cost, why not just get em both and decide for yourself. Then sell the one you like less to a buddy and you guys can shoot em at the same time. Well, that's my 2 cents, keep the change.... :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts