Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
387 Posts
$600 as is.

The upper Colt 1911 Gold Cup National Match is great. The lower is not respected, and the pistol itself will not work well, IMO of course.

·
NOT a new member
1,719 Posts
That was a common combination at one time, the gold cup parts not so much but a colt parts kit on an Essex frame I have seen several over the years. Years ago Essex was just about the only game in town for a machined 1911 frame for the home builder. Quality was not the best. Many years ago I was told they were the source for Auto Ordnance frames but I do not see any reference online to that, looks like Essex went bankrupt as a subsidiary to Iver Johnson.

If all the rest of the gun is Colt and the barrel nm as well 500-600 is an ok price range.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
My uncle had a setup just like that. The first time I saw it was back in the 80's and it had the same 70's Gold Cup upper and Essex frame. At the time of his passing in 2011, it wore an old Springfield Armory frame and all Springfield guts, and runs great after I replaced all the old springs.

·
Registered
529 Posts
RE: Franken Colt Gold Cup, I am no expert but I would ask $800.00 or trade for equal value but I would just keep it if I were you !

·
Premium Member
12,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I honestly have little to no idea on price, but I do know a little history on the Essex lower. Anyway, before starting this thread, $800 was the number that kept popping into my head. No offense FN Fal, you may well be more in line.

·
Premium Member
25,133 Posts
Chaz? You have to show me how you do that type of search!
From my PC I go to gunbroker and log in.
Just to the right of the search bar click on "Advanced".

That opens the "Advanced Search" screen where you have a choice of selecting "Current Items" or "Completed Items". (usually I'm interested in Completed Items)
Select one of those choices and enter the words that you want to search for in box that says "Search Words".
Then hit the button to the right that says "Search".
I try to be pretty specific with the wording or their search engine will pull up all sorts of stuff you that you would have to sort through. In this case I just put "Essex 45". if you are less specific and included "Essex 1911 45 ACP Colt", etc it would pull up thousands of other models of 1911 that do not have Essex parts on them, every brand, and numerous calibers besides 45.

The completed items will show the stuff that has already sold, how many bids, selling price, or it will show stuff that didn't get any bids or failed to reach a reserve price etc. The "Current Items" will have auctions that are still in process. I look at that too sometimes, but usually I'm more interested in seeing what something actually sold for or whether the seller had it priced too high and nobody bid on it, stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
25,133 Posts
I should have mentioned also animalspooker that below the "Search Words" box there is all sorts of other criteria that you can select. Things such as new or used, whether the seller accepts gunbroker pay, whether they charge credit card fees, what state they are in, specific categories, how it sorts the various items, etc. You can tune it so that your search is very specific or very broad.

·
NOT a new member
1,719 Posts
The only way I could see it in the 700-800-900 dollar range is if it was all the gold cup nm parts on an Essex frame. If that was the case I would keep everything but the frame and do a build on a frame I machined or buy a frame worthy of the parts. No doubt you could get 200-300 for the Essex frame irregardless of their iffyness.

I have bought a couple Colt NM 1911 barrels as I don't mind their name on the barrel but slides I just prefer them to be clean with no markings. Then there is no confusion who's shop my 1911 came from.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts