Need good military charity for Jeep run

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Coeloptera, May 10, 2008.

1. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

I need some info on a good all-purpose "help the folks in the armed forces" charity to organize a Jeep run out here in NV for. Nothing fancy, just something good people can get behind and raise some money for. If we're lucky, we might be able to get some of the guys from Nellis AFB to bring some vehicles out too, but it'll depend.

So, info and ideas?

- Coeloptera

2. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Guest

I believe this is a worthy charity.

Wounded Warrior Project - Home

3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Mckee

Coeloptera: Sir; "Mitch" has given the best one and add to that maybe;
    Don't remember the name??? "Families under fire"
    That isn't the name but had something to do with helping families get by while, 'spouse' is on tour.

Good supporting Heart their; Sir. Thank you.

4. JJ O'Shaes M1s for Vets project.

5. How about "Jeep Fund for Veterans Named Troy Who Hang Out in the Mojave and Sonoran Deserts?":09:

Seriously, I don't know any good ones off the top of my head. But it sounds like a great idea. I'd suggest talking to your local V.A office for ideas.

6. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Contact the public affairs office at Nellis

Nellis Family Support Information Center - Home Page

Chances are good that they will be able to make a few different recommendations as well as being current (flavor of the month) Obviously, any branch of service would benifit as a whole. They usually have good connections that they can refer you to to get things done.

Tell them a Shirt sent you.

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  7. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

Well, good suggestions so far. I can call the AFB this week and check with them, but I also wanted to make sure the money goes to something general, not just towards one branch. I don't want the appearance of favouritism. That and at Indian Springs AFB out here, a lot of the guys "work" in the Middle East and live here, due to operating UAVs from there. I wanted something to help the folks stuck over there or who've been injured while serving.

The Wounded Warrior one also looks good. I'll be researching this more this upcoming week and getting my wife to start organizing her Jeep group. I'll be keeping you updated as I get more info.

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

- Coeloptera

8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

The American Legion...They cover all the bases of helping vets both young and Old and especially those in Need !
    Rich

9. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

+1 to the previously mentioneds in the post; also possibly:

Welcome to The Air Force Assistance Fund

(AFAS)

If I'm not out of line, one thing I might recommend is an organization that funnels the money/resources back to the families of those deployed -- depending on the family situation extended deployments (especially to the middle east) can sometimes put a strain on family finances. (Some people work a second job, or now have to find additional child care because spouse is gone alot).

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I would go with the Wounded Warrior program.

11. Coeloptera, touch base with these folks. Full Size Jeep Network :: Index Great bunch of Jeepers.
    IIRC there's a few of them out your way, some might like to join in or help with organizing a run.

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

Now this may be about the right speed. Not like we'd be raising an immense amount of money. Something simple and concrete might be best.

More to come...

- Coeloptera

13. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've been involved in Wounded Warrior, and it's a good cause. And, you might check with the local VFW chapter, as they are always involved in charity drives for veterans of all services, and all wars. Good luck with your project, and thank you for caring about the vets!

14. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

Looks like we may try shooting for June-July for this, due to getting enough people organized. I'll be making calls later this week, but for now the bore snake is out in front. I'll contact Wounded Warrior and the VFW as well, see what they can suggest.

Eh...I've done other charity work, but never military related before. Time to fix that and frankly, I like the idea of providing basic material support that they might need.

- Coeloptera

15. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

We have an organization within the VFW, called the "Military Order of Cooties", that holds events, and fundraisers for hospitalized vets. 100% of the money collected goes to the vets. And the Cooties have visits to the various VA hospitals, to interact, and provide company for those vets who would otherwise be alone during holidays. I've been trying to find a unit out here, to transfer to, but so far have been unsuccessful. It's a worthy cause, and gives me a chance to give back to those in need. Hopefully, I'll find a cootie unit close enough to meet with, and get back to helping out.

16. mikehaas

mikehaas Guest

A web-surfing friend saw this thread and forwarded me the URL. Mike Haas here, Project Bore Snake webmaster and co-founder (owner/author of AmmoGuide is now... "Interactive"!). Glad to meet ya'll.
    We're honored to be considered as a possible recipient of your drive. I just spoke yesterday with Jim, Project Director and fellow "co-founder" (there are 2 of us. In fact, we went ground squirrel hunting :)
    Indeed - we're out of funds again. Of course, that's where we're supposed to be, right? If you sent in a (tax-deductible) donation, you expect it to have been converted into bore-snakes and if not in the hands of, on the way to, a US warrior (maybe your warrior). You definitely do NOT want it sitting in the bank account of a non-profit group.
    So we promise - you send it, no red tape - we order the bore snakes for the next guy in line and ship 'em. I thank you for this shameless plug - we'll do just about anything (legal) to get more bore snakes to our troops.
    Mike
    Project Bore Snake
    [​IMG]
    Mike