Need grilling tips.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Sins-of-Mosin, May 5, 2008.

1. Sins-of-Mosin

Sins-of-Mosin Guest

I'm tired of walking by someone's backyard and smelling their grill. I'm ready to buy a small gas grill and start making my own burgers and dogs.

What tips do you have for a guy who's never done the grilling himself?

2. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    Steak, medium...sprinkle desired seasoning before placing on the grill. Place steaks on grill with medium flame and cook one side until the blood starts to pool on the top of the meat. Flip the steak over and sear until blood pools on the top again. Remove from grill and enjoy. (works best on thicker cuts). Works well on hamburgers too.
    Do not keep turning the steaks over and over.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist

You need two grills. One for charcoal and one for gas. Once you master them, get a monster smoker!:09:

4. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

my steak grilling recipe
    1 very hot grill
    1 large steak
    1 bottle whiskey
    pour 1 shot
    toss meat on grill
    drink shot
    turn meat
    pour 1 shot
    drink shot
    serve steak.

5. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

You ever burned a steak using that recipe Billy?

6. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Addict

nc
    i dont have a whole lot of experance, but gas grills are much nicer to use. With hambergers just make sure u get it cooked all the way through, thats realy all there is to hambergers. im not real sure about hot dogs.
    with steaks i like mine about med rare, so i ussually cook on high heat, ive been told people who like them well done tend to cook them on low heat.
    can't help you with any spices, i eat them the way they come.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist

Medium rare steak and well-done burger???????

8. KGunner

KGunner G&G Evangelist

Charcoal grills are more fun IMO. A simple Weber Kettle grill is the best, and it was invented by a WWII vet.

9. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Food Handlers info on cooking hamburgers all the way through.

Hamburgers are more prone to problems causing food-borne illness; beings that hamburger meat is ground and bacteria can get mixed into the meat.

Whereas a steak, if it gets exposed to bacteria, only has it on the outside and it gets killed when cooked.

There, enough grill trivia from me for today.

Back to Billy's recipe...

10. tippmann7

tippmann7 G&G Enthusiast

i just kind of go with it.... let the burgers sit for a couple minutes, flip em over, repeat until i think they are edible lol... i dont realy like gas grills because ours leaked and the hose to the propane tank caught fire and if my mom didnt notice it......well thats not get into that

11. Gas Grills are for wussies. Whatever you cook, cook over wood and cook it slow.
    Oak is hot, mesquite is to hot and pecan makes the best smoke. If your fire gets to hot put damp or wet pecan on it. Build your 'fire' on one side leave the other cool. Move food back and forth to the hot if it's not cooking fast enough or to the cold if it's cooking to slow. Baste if the stuff you're cooking starts to dry out. Anything you can cook in a stove you can cook on a grill/pit.
    Tip:: After you finish cooking everything else dump chopped up pecan on the coals. put the bread you're serving on the grill, close all the airvents and let the bread warn in the smoke. You will not regret it.

12. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Addict

nc
    i didnt mean burnt Hamburgers, just dont leave a red center. a steak is only prone to bacteria on the outside where it was cut at, hamburgers are steaks that are ground up so the bacteria can be anywhere. raw meat is not dangerous if butchered right, but not all cows are the same so when the machine cuts it there is no guarantee that it wont cut the intestens, thats why you have to cook them, its more a precation.

13. Sins-of-Mosin

Sins-of-Mosin Guest

Thanks for the advice. I need to start small with the burgers and hot dogs before I move on to the expensive or as I like to say "the bling bling of the grill".

Do you make a small cut into the burger to check to see how done they are? I know generally that gas does not provide the best tasting but I need to start simple and I need something my woman will use too. :D

14. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Real BBQ grill Men don't use Gas Grills....Give me CHARCOAL or Nothing !

15. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Evangelist

the webber kettle grill is by far the best. i use charcoal plus wet hickory
    chips for the smoke flavor. another good wood is wild cherry.

i like to smoke a turkey or ham on mine. build the fire around the base
    leaving the center open, thats where you put the meat so that it does
    in-direct cooking. open the bottom vent all the way, put the lid on with the top vents half open. the heat and smoke circulates around the meat cooking it.

for regular grilling sread the fire out, then put the meat over the coals.

sam's club has a real good selection of webber grilling spices, that you can either dry rub on or mix with veg. oil, water, and a little white vinager
    to make a marinade. let your meat soak for about 1/2 to 1 hr.:)

16. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Ahhh, come on Moose! I use both, and prefer the charcoal, but sometimes don't have time, or patience to deal with it. I'm gonna go with some seasoned oak, this year, and see how bad I can burn the meat with THAT!!!

17. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I have a combo grill. For no fuss meals I fire the gas. For good cuts, replace with the SST pan for the charcoal. The burner heats and starts the coals, very evenly without the fuel smell and taste. You can go really hot and quick as indicated for beef. For other meats slower is better to keep the tenderness factor. For chicken and pork get a meat thermometer. When it hits the done range in temp it's good to go. Overcooking will toughen it up. Don't be afraid to experiment with home made and or commercial marinades. Cook with olive oil and favorite seasonings untill almost done at low heat, then remove from foil and sear the hell out of it with high heat. Kabobs are good too, you can roast whole ears of corn as well. If you don't have a smoker, soak some good wood chips mentioned above in water to keep them from burning up and add to the coals as you cook.

18. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Mesquite rules, charcoal if ya have to, gas is for amatuers and lazy people! :D

19. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

If you don't have time to do it right...Go to Burger King !!! LOL
    I use a Chimney Charcoal starter and some newspaper...NO Lighter Fluid !
    15-20 Minutes, I'm grilling....Takes that long to Marinate the chicken and steaks !

20. My suggestion is to pick up a small tabletop charcoal grill at Home Depot, WalMart or some such place, if there's just the two of you. You can get pretty nice ones for about 29 bucks. Practice with one for a while, and then move up if you want to; lots of people stop right there.
    There are also tabletop gas grills for about the same price, that you just hook a disposable tank of propane to. They're faster and easier if you're cooking a quick meal in the evenings. But they're usually single-burner units, so you can't do the indirect cooking like you can with a small charcoal grill or kettle. And sometimes they have hot spots when you try to crank the temperature down a little.

Indirect cooking is for slow-cooking stuff like a whole chicken, where you either put the chicken in the middle with a drip pan under the grate, and the coals banked on either side, or put the chicken and drip pan at one end, and the charcoal at the other, and close the lid. It doesn't hurt to have some water or beer or whatever in the pan to keep the chicken from drying out, and to keep the drips from charring and sticking in the pan if you aren't using a disposable one.

If you're going to stick to charcoal, I'll admit it's hard to beat the Weber Kettles. There are cheaper copies that look like them, but if you can afford it go with the real thing.

Last edited: May 5, 2008