Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a revolver to deer and hog hunt with. I have many rifles and shotguns that I have inherited from my dad and grandpa. Im looking to start a new tradition and pass it down to my son when he gets old enough.

I'm in between two different revolvers. They are the Smith wesson performance center 629 44 magnum and a Ruger black hawk hunter in 44 magnum

What are yalls thoughts on which one would be better.. I do have smaller hands for a man. I've held the ruger 44 magnum Bisley just can't find smith wesson to hold.

·
Wonderment :)
32,890 Posts
Grayson Everett: Sir; you’ve made 2 excellent choices.

my thoughts

Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Single Action
Ruger Redhawk.44 Double Action
Ruger Super Redhawk .44 Double action
SW 629. .44 Double Action
all magnums

having all 4. My choice depends
all 4 are heavy.
all 4 boom
historically; Ruger single action withstand heavy bullet banging best
historically; barrel length consideration
historically; how much time are you willing to practice

I have medium large hands. I have lady friends with dainty hands
They have handled successfully the above.
I have male friends with average to large hands that do not like .44’s
and. Shoot them poorly

their favorite is Ruger Blackhawk .41 210g

my experience. 100yds or less. Any of the above can be very accurate if shooter does his part
my experience. I’m a handgun hunter.
bias. .44 magnum 250g - 300g

and will flip-flop with .41 4.5” Especially if brush hog hunting

all are compromises

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Hi Grayson, welcome from Alaska! Glad to have you here. For me, I prefer a revolver that has a double/single action for hunting. I Like the option of being able to carry extra rounds in a speed loader and do a quick reload if I run into a critter(s) intent on harming me. So in this case, I would prefer the S&W over the Black Hawk. Is there a reason why you didn't add the Red Hawk to your choices? I have small hands too and a swap of the grips allowed me to handle my Red Hawk just fine.

Again, welcome to G&G😊

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,366 Posts
As accurately stated. You will get a bit more versatility from the DA revolver. (This from a huge single action fan) From hunting to home defense you’ll be covered. Yes, a .44 mag for HD. This is why .44 specials exist. :)
Don’t confuse with CCW that may be a bit big. That said, I’m proven wrong on a weekly basis

if you get the bug, you will most likely end up with a SA, possibly Ruger as they are pretty much a standard. This may allow you to get that next one, if a SA in possibly a different caliber as well. Sometimes a guy, or gal just needs a good .38/.357

Don’t paint yourself in a corner with a one handgun plan. I get budgets and all, but with patience and planning there are some good used deals on the market now and then. Current environment noted.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,055 Posts
For ANY gun, you have to get one that fits YOU. That means handling and shooting them to see how they feel and how YOU might be able to accurately shoot it. The grip between the Blackhawk and Smith are notably different, especially under recoil. In most revolvers, you can modify grips to put on grips that are good for you but the frame limits you to what kind of grips; I don't know of an easy way to modify the Blackhawk grip which to some 'bites' a little bit under recoil (YMMV).

I'm guessing by your asking the question that your experience with revolvers might be somewhat limited. Either Smith or Ruger is an excellent choice in a revolver; Rugers are REALLY strong. You have to shoot the revolver in question to get an idea of how the sight picture works for you (given a certain barrel length) and how YOU hold up under recoil of the more powerful rounds. Don't forget that a .44 magnum can be shot with the lighter .44 special loadings (which are still plenty powerful when hand loaded) and the .44 special is a handloader's dream.

As has been said, the double action choice gives you additional flexibility -- Ruger ALSO makes several DA revolvers in .44 Magnum.

I own an L-frame Smith and Wesson Model 69. It's a 5-shot somewhat more compact 'combat magnum' (stainless steel) that might be worth a look. The longer barreled variant might be more suitable (4") for hunting; I own the 3"-ish model which can be used for CCW. You can probably conceal the 4" barreled model with proper attire; any of the .44 magnums is going to be a bit big but the model 69 is relatively compact given the category.

So have a look, have a shoot, and see what fits you.

·
Less well known member
5,033 Posts
Welcome to G&G from Alaska.

I carry a S&W 629 when I'm fishing because there are lots of big bears around. I also have a Bisley Ruger Super Blackhawk.

I actually prefer the Ruger for general shooting, it is heavier and more fun to shoot.

·
Registered
870 Posts

A lot of hand gun "fit" is open to interpretation BUT... if the bore of the gun is NOT aligned straight up your arm bones when you are pulling the trigger, you will NEVER shoot that gun to your full potential.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter is an excellent gun. Plus, you can also get it with Bisley grips which I prefer for large caliber revolvers (your preference may be different). I would also look at the Ruger Super Redhawk Hunter. This is a double action revolver, but also comes with scope mounts. 7.5” or 9.5” barrel models to pick from.

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Hi Grayson, welcome from Alaska! Glad to have you here. For me, I prefer a revolver that has a double/single action for hunting. I Like the option of being able to carry extra rounds in a speed loader and do a quick reload if I run into a critter(s) intent on harming me. So in this case, I would prefer the S&W over the Black Hawk. Is there a reason why you didn't add the Red Hawk to your choices? I have small hands too and a swap of the grips allowed me to handle my Red Hawk just fine.

Again, welcome to G&G😊
Good point on the speed loaders. I have like six of them for the 357 and 44's. Very handy to have and use instead of fumbling in the cold. I have big hands and fingers so I went to other manufacturers . Reason was trigger guard seemed too small for me and also I like a larger grip. I replaced a few of my wood grips with the Hogue black rubber type that fit the hand. Better grip for sure on a magnum pistol.

·
Premium Member
9,473 Posts
Make sure you check on barrel lengths. Some are more balanced for the size and overall weight of the revolver. Also most states have a minimum barrel length. Mine are 6 to 8 5/8" range. Also some of the walnut grips are slick and hard to hold steady after each shot. I switched most of mine to Hogue rubber grips but there are other brands too. Just a thought

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Good point on the speed loaders. I have like six of them for the 357 and 44's. Very handy to have and use instead of fumbling in the cold. I have big hands and fingers so I went to other manufacturers . Reason was trigger guard seemed too small for me and also I like a larger grip. I replaced a few of my wood grips with the Hogue black rubber type that fit the hand. Better grip for sure on a magnum pistol.
I really like Hogue grips, I have them on all my big revolvers - - but I LOVE Hogues heated toilet seats even better! 🤪

·
Registered
870 Posts
Try shooting a few 4 and 5 shot double action strings from that 44 magnum

I went back to my factory WOOD grips.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
On my 5.5" Super Blackhawk, I installed Packmeyer grips to tame the roll. But a 50 round session will eat your palms up. Someday I'm going back to smooth custom wood grips. Now my Bisley hunter with the factory grips will roll comfortably and not chaff my hands. Doesn't kick as bad due to the 7.5" barrel and extra weight.
I think Mindy hit the nail on the head with a Ruger Redhawk suggestion. A 4.25" barrel would be ok if you want it a little compact but a 5.5" would be better. If you want to optic it get the hunter version. Me I like my single action Bisley best for hunting. I have it scoped presently but it's easy to remove. My 5.5" Super Blackhawk is my everyday woods, truck gun, 4 wheeler, boat and plinker gun.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
A 44 Magnum is a lot of gun to shoot. I am guessing on this, but it sounds like you might not have had a lot of handgun shooting experience? If so I suggest taking your time in your selection and don't jump to buy the first gun you see.
Some will say to start with a smaller gun, but I think it's possible to start with lighter loads - if you are a reloader, that will help you a lot.

I have owned three 44 magnums. The first was a Redhawk with 5 1/2" barrel. It's a very solid, sturdy gun. It shot pretty accurately too. But it just did not fit my hand - even after trying several different aftermarket grips. That trigger guard crashing into middlee finger knuckle I really wanted it to work out, but it didn't happen.

Next was a S&W 629 with 6-1/2" barrel. That one fit me much better - after I put different grips on it - and it was more accurate than the Redhawk (for me that is). That one would still "crash" my knuckle if I wasn't careful. Another thing about 44 Magnums - if I shot 20 rounds, I would feel it in my whole arm. I sold it off in a trade but would have kept it otherwise.

My latest is a SuperBlackhawk 7-1/2" . Right off the bat, the grips were horrible. Way too small for me and it hurt to shoot it unless I wore a heavy glove. However, a Hogue oversize grip tamed that down into a very comfortable gun to shoot. I have not tried a Bisley model - that might be different.(Actually, that grip was a little too big but I "whittled" it down to fit me better.)

One common "complaint" with any of those guns is that they are heavy. Shoulder holsters are more comfortable than belt holsters for me.
Another thing is there is a lot of muzzle blast. Wear hearing protection always (of course, any handgun is loud but you can feel this one in your teeth.)
But overall, if you take your time to make sure your gun fits, and you find good loads for it, I think you will find a 44 magnum to be a lot of fun.

·
<------------<<<-
3,861 Posts
Those aren’t too comparable, but I’ll bite. If you’re wanting to use it as a primary weapon for taking still shots, Blackhawk all day. If you’re going for a defensive sidearm, I’d go for the 629. Personally, I’d probably choose a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk over the 629, but only because the Rugers are a bit more robust.

·
Registered
9,347 Posts
I have never been a big fan of the 44 Magnum but for those that don't reload I always recommend it vs anything else.

My personal preference for Revolvers in calibers over 357 magnum is a Single action. The way they recoil is more of a muzzle flip up and rolling rather than the straight back like a double action. I also prefer my single actions to have slick wood grips vs checkered or rubber grips. This allows the revolver to roll in your hand better than gripping and wrenching your wrists. The Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter or Bisley Hunter will have a 7+ inch barrel and will have a rib across it that has scope mount locations built in. This add weight to the muzzle and will help absorb any recoil. I really like the Bisley grip as it's a little bigger and more comfortable when shooting heavy loads.

The Performance Center S&W is no slouch. They make a fine handgun and the Performance center is just that much better. If I were to buy a double action Smith that would be the one I went with. I've shot a couple of their Performance Center revolvers in both 357 Mag and 44 Mag. They balanced very well and were a dream to shoot. Triggers are wonderful.

Ultimately it's going to come down to how much you want to spend and what fits your hand better.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts