Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've got a Redhawk, Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, AND a Smith 629 and shoot full power 44 mag loads in them all. And I practice "Panic fire double action rapid fire" strings with the double actions. Started doing it after learning it was no big deal with the 357. Just going to "try" it, just see if it is reasonable or it is not.

If you've NOT ever done it, I wouldn't want to be betting against the bear the first time I ever try it. I had those rubber grips on all my MAGNUM hand guns to. Really grippy, feel great, in the living room, at the store and playing around dry firing.

Trying to shoot swinging bottles and rapid firing on 5 or 6 different steel targets and getting in to some shoot n scoot, get off the X drills like I use with my 10mm Glock and 1911 and such. Even that big Redhawk will give you a NEW appreciation for the way those factory wood grips are designed after a couple hundred shots trying to make up your mind which of those revolvers you've mention is a serious consideration for the job description.

For me, the Redhawk is the way to go in a 4-5 inch barrel and stainless steel. Nice thing about it, you can shoot a Redhawk single action if you are stretching a shot on out there near the limit to reach that big ole... but you can't double action that black hawk if it turns out the brother of what you are hunting is hunting you when you weren't looking.

But if you aren't going to PRACTICE that double action thing a few times like a bear is climbing up yer shorts... you are going to be best off with what you do every day, one good AIMED single action. That can put a lot of lead on target practicing it with two hands and cocking with the off hand, but that takes practice to.

That hammer can bite you under heavy recoil and trying to shoot quickly.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've got a Redhawk, Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, AND a Smith 629 and shoot full power 44 mag loads in them all. And I practice "Panic fire double action rapid fire" strings with the double actions. Started doing it after learning it was no big deal with the 357. Just going to "try" it, just see if it is reasonable or it is not.

If you've NOT ever done it, I wouldn't want to be betting against the bear the first time I ever try it. I had those rubber grips on all my MAGNUM hand guns to. Really grippy, feel great, in the living room, at the store and playing around dry firing.

Trying to shoot swinging bottles and rapid firing on 5 or 6 different steel targets and getting in to some shoot n scoot, get off the X drills like I use with my 10mm Glock and 1911 and such. Even that big Redhawk will give you a NEW appreciation for the way those factory wood grips are designed after a couple hundred shots trying to make up your mind which of those revolvers you've mention is a serious consideration for the job description.

For me, the Redhawk is the way to go in a 4-5 inch barrel and stainless steel. Nice thing about it, you can shoot a Redhawk single action if you are stretching a shot on out there near the limit to reach that big ole... but you can't double action that black hawk if it turns out the brother of what you are hunting is hunting you when you weren't looking.

But if you aren't going to PRACTICE that double action thing a few times like a bear is climbing up yer shorts... you are going to be best off with what you do every day, one good AIMED single action. That can put a lot of lead on target practicing it with two hands and cocking with the off hand, but that takes practice to.

That hammer can bite you under heavy recoil and trying to shoot quickly.
You don't limp wrist a Blackhawk and 2 hand shooting works better. My buddy tried my 5.5" Super Blackhawk and shot it one handed like a TV cowboy. It rolled back in his hand, hammer tore a huge gash in the web of his hand, dropped the gun and blood was gushing all over. As a trim carpenter it hurt like hell all week. I told him to grip it tight as I had Keith loads in it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have both single and double action 44s, SW model 29 and a Ruger Redhawk and several Blackhawks. If you are going to scope it with go with the Ruger Hunter or the Super Redhawk. The built in rings save you lots of hassle. The Bisley is going to be the better for recoil once you get above 1,000 foot pounds.

The Rugers are heavier and show less recoil. I only carry the model 29 when hiking or as a backup in bear country. I have killed one deer with it but if I want to kill something or just shoot a bunch of hot loads, I take the Rugers. Generally you can load the Rugers hotter than the SWs. If you shoot factory loads that does not matter much..

The model 29 has the same grip frame as any of the K frame revolvers if you are looking at hand size. The 629 is the N frame and will weigh much more but the balance is about the same. Of course there can be many, many different grips added to fit your hand size. The only issue I see there is if you have small hands then the trigger reach can be an issue in double action. Not so much in single action because the trigger is at the rear when you make the shot.

Just depends on what you shoot better.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,199 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum in a 6 1/2 inch barrel. With the rubber Hogue-type grips, it should do what you want in your revolver.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,066 Posts
Oh no... I wouldn't BS about creature comforts. Hogue keep my hands and wrists happy with my big handguns and my butt toasty in the winter.
Oh, ya just had to do it......

Lol...take THAT--it's a Toyo......it has auto seat temperature regulation (you can adjust it with the remote that's conveniently mounted on the wall now), adjustable spray of all kind with action and temp selection and dryer. It's programmed so that there's some light in the dark, and it lights up and pre-sprays the bowl as you approach it and the lid automatically opens with a beep. You can press the button for the 'guy' lid and it auto-resets so your wife doesn't fall in. And you can manually flush by pressing the button in the back OR using the pushbutton on the top of the remote; if you forget as you leave it does it for you as well as auto closes and opens ! And it hasn't malfunctioned and tossed me off yet.

(apologies for the hijack; the devil made me do it as Geraldine would say).

I like the Hogues, but have the pachmyrs on some of my shooting Smiths which fit my hands a little better. I've gotta wait until the smoke clears to see how the new Altamonts work on the Smith 69 but they sure look nice:

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
Oh, ya just had to do it......

Lol...take THAT--it's a Toyo......it has auto seat temperature regulation (you can adjust it with the remote that's conveniently mounted on the wall now), adjustable spray of all kind with action and temp selection and dryer. It's programmed so that there's some light in the dark, and it lights up and pre-sprays the bowl as you approach it and the lid automatically opens with a beep. You can press the button for the 'guy' lid and it auto-resets so your wife doesn't fall in. And you can manually flush by pressing the button in the back OR using the pushbutton on the top of the remote; if you forget as you leave it does it for you as well as auto closes and opens ! And it hasn't malfunctioned and tossed me off yet.

View attachment 160570

(apologies for the hijack; the devil made me do it as Geraldine would say).

I like the Hogues, but have the pachmyrs on some of my shooting Smiths which fit my hands a little better. I've gotta wait until the smoke clears to see how the new Altamonts work on the Smith 69 but they sure look nice:

View attachment 160572
Nice bun warmer!!! But is it non slip like a hogue grip??? Huh? 😛

Nice Smith BTW... Very nice!

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
I have a 629 classic 6" and l have hunted and deer with it. Very nice revolver. Has never given any problems at all I have a pic rail to mount on top of it for a scope. Can't say I liked the scope on it. Did kill one deer with it a few years ago with open sights

My brother has a 6 or 7 inch super blackawk that he carries every year hunting has never shot at any game with it. But he lives it.

Can't say you could go wrong either way. I also have a few blackhawks that I carry hunting and have killed a deer with my 4 5/8 45colt. And just got a 357 convertible last year that I haven't shot anything but paper with yet

21 - 31 of 31 Posts