Need help Identifying a Shotgun

Discussion in 'Winchester' started by Sparks, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Sparks

Sparks G&G Newbie

Please bare with me, I am new to this.

I have a Model 1897 Winchester 32 inch barrel 12 Gauge Shot gun, serial number 317006, condition unknown. It has a few blemishes, the for-end part of the wood is cracked a bit, (about 1 inch) but not enough to cause it to fall off. I do not know the last time it was shot, nor could the previous owner.

I believe it is a 32 inch barrel, I measured from the tip of the barrel to where the back of the shell would be had it been loaded.

I was visited oldguns.net and it's database said the gun was manufactured in 1907, I'm assuming this is correct?

It also has a Black Dimond on the stock of the gun, near where the it connects to the barrel, do all 1897 Model shotguns have this or does it signify a higher end series?

I am looking for a guesstimate of its value, granted it needs to be appraised, I am looking for rough ball park, so I am not going in Blind.

Thanks for you help.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

That gun was made in 1906 by serial number.If it has Black Diamond Inlays on the stock, it should be a Black Diamond Trap Model , and the breech block should be marked "TRAP".
    Value depends on ORIGINAL CONDITION, ie, the amount of Blueing,condition of the wood and metal , etc.
    Values run from 350.00 for a 10% gun to 2000.00 for a 95% gun.
    Most are in 40% to 60 % shape and run about 600.00 to 1000.00 Retail.
    Good closeup Pics of the gun could help more with an accurate appraisal.
    Rich

3. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

Mooseman says the truth . Again .lol

4. Sparks

Sparks G&G Newbie

Indeed

Yes it does have the word "Trap Gun" on top.

I'll try to upload some pictures later, once I find my tripod, every thing is blurry, that I have taken so far.

Is this a common gun? Are certain years more valued or rare?

5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Not as common as they used to be. It's (what a surprise!) a John M. Browning design and was eagerly seized upon by hunters and the military alike. It went to war in World War I as the Model 1897 Trench Gun with a shorter barrel, about 20" if memory serves, a heat shield and a bayonet lug for a Springfield bayonet. Officially, they weren't used in World War II; operationally, Im sure at least a few made it overseas and into the front lines. Richard Venola reported that you could still find them in Embassy gun racks for the Marine guard detachments as late as the 1960s. I saw a 30 inch barrel model, well worn and lovingly cared for, in the gun racks at my local shop a couple of weeks ago. If I were a hunter or a trapshooter, that would have come home with me. It's one of the most reliable pump actions ever made, and in my opinion was not improved upon up to the invention of the Mossberg 500 with the quick-change barrels.

6. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

KY
    I'd love to see some pics, I haven't seen too many 97 "trap" models.