Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an LC smith 12 guage double barrel Hammer Shotgun. I can't seem to find any infomation on it and would like some help getting some information specifically value. Here is a pic. anything like history or manufature specs would be helpful. THanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
I have several listings on L.C.Smith damascus barrel shotguns and the mfg.dates run from 1878 to 1898 with prices ranging from $450. to $4000.,at 80%. But your best bet is to contact- The L.C. Smith Collectors Association or The Cody firearms museum in Cody,Wy. sam.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
All I have is serial #,s but that could well be the # manufactured as this was in the late 1800,s.Either Cody or the colectors should be able to answer that. sam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the serial #`s on pre 1919 l.c.smiths are extremely confusing.The L.CSmith foundation may be able to help. I have owned several shotguns in my 55 years but when I bought my field grade 1948 12 ga I learned what craftmanship is. Nothing on todays market compares!!

Search for L.C. Smith collectors assoc. at (www.l c smith.org.) pan down left side of home page to year of manufacture.Click on" serial number" enter your serial number which you can find if you remove forearm & remove barrels the serial numbers are on reciever. it should take just minutes if they can help. Early "elsies" where seemingly random in their #`s

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reply to L.C. Smith SS 12 gauge Hammer Gun

If you can locate a copy of the book L.C. Smith "The Legend Lives" by John Houchins you will have most of the information, if not all, that you requested. Hammer guns continued to be manufactured by L.C. Smith up until 1932. You need to know what you have before you attempt to shoot the gun. Some are for black powder only, and light charges only, some like my 1919 12 gauge will handle moderate present day loads. It looks like you have a fine gun, as all L.C. Smiths were. Values depend on the grade and the condition. I paid $1,400.00 for my hammer gun and I'm more than pleased. There are some parts available for these guns. I was easily able to replace a hammer screw. These old hammer guns are fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts