Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Savage Model 99-F,
I am trying to find out when the gun was manfactured and some idea of its value. The serial number is 772230 it was new for my mother who shot it 7 times, I have a box of Peters ammo with 7 rounds missings and she said it kicked her to much so she never went hunting with it. I also have yellow envelope that hangs off the lever on the outside it tells all about the gun. Inside it has a parts list and a pink paper that says Savage Model 99 solid frame instructions for use. This has been in my family since new and we would like to have a idea of when it was made and a value. My mom says my dad purchased back in the 50's.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
741 Posts
Savage 99-Fs in that serial range were manufactured 1955-1973. First S/N was 755000. Yours was probably early in the date range.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Jim,

DOM either 1955 or maybe early 1956. On the lever boss (where it attaches to the receiver) facing the front sight will be a number and a letter stamped in an oval (you might need a magnifying glass to read it). If it is a 1955 it will be something like 12G if it is a 1956 it will be something like 12H. The number is the inspector and the letter is the year. This only works for 1949 -1970 produced 99's.

Blair

·
Registered
209 Posts
Jim,

17 E would make it 1953, too early for an F. For that date it could only be an R, RS or EG. Serial number seems a little high also for 53. My 1953 R is 694,XXX, while my 1956 F is 782,XXX. So I really think from those numbers that yours would be 1955 an be code G. Stamping was terrible on some and I have had to use a real strong magnifying glass to read them.

Blair

1 - 6 of 6 Posts