Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1903 springfield when my father passed away and don't know much about them. It is an 1903 sn: 8205xx. Looks to be in good shape. Don't know if it is safe to shoot or not and befor I do looking for some advise. How can I figure out when it was made? What is it worth?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Serial numbers can be traced here here: U.S. Military Firearms Manufacture Dates Based on the number, it seems it was made in 1918 (assuming it is a Springfield). The barrels are also dated, behind the front sight, usually the month-year; so 11-18 would be November 1918. The dates don't always match exactly, even if the gun is intact.

After the war, a lot of them were arsenal refits, and may not have the original stock, or barrel, etc. Worth? Lots of variables, condition, all parts match, etc. I would say $350-800. That's a wide range, but don't have a lot of into.

Safe to shoot? Take it to a local gunsmith and let them look at it.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Your gun looks to be all original with a double heat treated receiver...Value may be as high as 1000.00 for that early 6 digit over 800,000 !!! If it didn't have the Benicia Arsenal rework stamp, it would have been worth over 3500.00
Rich

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Very nice 03! I love those old rifles. I look at that rifle and can't help but think that that is the model my grandfather carried in WW1. He thought very highly of the 03.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Relooked the barrel last night and between the front sight and the front barrel band there is the ordinance symbol as well as the date 2-18. I assume that this is the manufacture date, Feb 1918. Is there somewhere that I can look to find what part # should be original? The other question that i have is there is a small spring on the under side of the receiver that doesn't appear to do anything. I have to find a new on the old was broken and I don't know how important it is. Here is a picture of the broken part.

Attachments

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
It's a to help hold the bolt open, and prevent it from sliding foward due to gravity. This part was eliminated in most WW2 03's.Not a necessary part.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
Relooked the barrel last night and between the front sight and the front barrel band there is the ordinance symbol as well as the date 2-18. I assume that this is the manufacture date, Feb 1918. Is there somewhere that I can look to find what part # should be original? The other question that i have is there is a small spring on the under side of the receiver that doesn't appear to do anything. I have to find a new on the old was broken and I don't know how important it is. Here is a picture of the broken part.
thats a picture?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
billy, that is a picture, sort of. I Scanned it and didn't pay attention to the size so it looks funny. sorry bout that.

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
i was just teasin....
but that is one vague pic!

i thought it was like a rorshach test or something.:09:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found this with out much trouble. There is a shop here in the dallas that has just about every old part you can imagine. I went in and showed him the broke part and he came back with a good one about 2 seconds later. Cost me a $1.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a A303 with long bayonet , scabbard, fired 20 times in excellent condition, with original strap. I do not intend to sell it since my Dad stole it from the army many years ago. Actually he brought it home after they replaced the one he used as a sniper in WWII. However, my attorney wants me to place a value on it for my estate. My time in VN allowed me to bring back no such weapons. I did have a Greener shotgun that I would like to replace, but then we all want things.

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
Mike5, seeing a photo as to the condition would help. If as you descibed,$650 and $200 more for the bayonet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1903 with big knife

Thanks for the help, she is in fine condition with all original parts and fully parkerized. I have a lowered cocking handle bolt for a scope but have not, and probably will not, mount a scope. She will still hit a target at 500 yards so why use a scope.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Banned
98 Posts
"...Serial numbers can be traced here..." Not free anymore. The guy who had the site retired and the new operators went to a 'for money' basis.
Your rifle is a high S/N 1903. That means it's safe to shoot.
"...long bayonet..." M1905 bayonets in good condition are worth $150 to $200 and up. Don't be playing bayonet fighter with it.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
"...Serial numbers can be traced here..." Not free anymore. The guy who had the site retired and the new operators went to a 'for money' basis.
Your rifle is a high S/N 1903. That means it's safe to shoot.
"...long bayonet..." M1905 bayonets in good condition are worth $150 to $200 and up. Don't be playing bayonet fighter with it.
I'm calling you on this...I just traced 2 of Mine FREE...Your info is not credible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts