Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Savage site as well .First allow me to apologize for the length of my first post.Secondly,thanks for
having me.OK here we go. I have a 110 in 30 06 pre accutrigger. I am having
problems with mis fires.Please bear with me as I give some history.After
accidentally spilling a cup of coffee into the receiver on a below zero morning
and freezing the firing pin to the bolt, I dipped it in boiling water and
stripped it.Cleaned and oiled every thing and re assembled it.About this time I
decided to try my hand at bedding the action.Bought a new wood stock and a
bedding kit ,and was pretty proud of myself.Shortly after I started getting the
occasional mis fire. Must be my handloads? So I switched primers. More mis
fires. Switched case lube,no change. Switched priming tools. Still no change.
Thats it, Back to factory ammo for me. You guessed it.more misfires.Took it to a
gunsmith.He milled off the rear pillar cause it looked like the sear was hanging
up on it.He even put my action in his stock and it worked fine.
Well after todays visit to the range I am totally frustrated.Mis fires still.With Rem.factory ammo.The
primers on the mis fires are all dented shallower than those that fire I even
tried one of the mis fires in my new 114 Euro Classic and it didn;t fire. Forgot
to mention that I also changed the firing pin just in case and then switched it
back cause it didnt help. Im sinking fast,please help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Billie, if your head space checks out as per my answer to that post, make sure you have about 3/32 of fireing pin protrution on the bolt face. If you do, Iv somtimes fixed the light hits with putting a shime bushing in front of the fireing pin spring. This gives the spring more compression when cocked. But you need good head space of .006 or less. Otherwise the loose shell will take the snot out of the firing pin hit.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The gun smith could have worsened your problem by shaving the pillar.Put a washer on the pillar or something to shim it up.Does your bolt have a drag in it?Somehow I believe the housing is warped or is warping due to the cold and hot treatment but more likely the bedding.Take the stock off and look for dark spots in the bedding.If there are any,work them out.See if the front screw is seating the stock all the way down.Is there any fiber glass ahead of the action?If there is it could cause the housing to warp. Just barely loosen one screw and see if it helps. sam.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
if your gunsmith put the action in his stock, and it worked fine, the problem lies with your stock or bedding job causing something to hang up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts