close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Help with this Colt Shotgun

Discussion in 'Colt' started by ryan_h, Mar 16, 2017.

1. ryan_h

ryan_h G&G Addict

Ohio
    Got this old Colt Shotgun by a stroke of luck (found it in the basement of the house I bought), any info you guys could give me on it would be much appreciated. I already know its a Colt, serial 19xxx 17360697_1364515066928390_650222450_n.jpg 17361217_1364515000261730_1828612078_n.jpg 17360856_1364515033595060_2046030912_n.jpg

PAPA G, Jaison, ChaZam and 4 others like this.
  2. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Nice find!
    I love anything that was made by Colt. :D

PAPA G and REAPER762 like this.

3. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    Nice find. Please get some oil on it. It needs some attention. Never saw a Colt Double SxS before.

PAPA G likes this.
  4. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Fantastic find for sure! Appears to be an 1878 Hammer shotgun. Made in 10-12 gauge with 28-32 inch barrels that were blued or brown Damascus. Made between 1878-1889 according to my book. About 22,683 made. Thanks for sharing with us.

PAPA G likes this.
  5. ryan_h

ryan_h G&G Addict

Ohio
    Is there any value to these old shotguns?

PAPA G and ChaZam like this.
  6. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Yeah there is depending on condition ryan. My Blue Book is a few years old but lists value at around $1500 for a gun in 50% condition. Looks like ya got some rust and pitting issues but I would clean it up best you can. Check with a gunsmith as to what best to use on it . Might suggest Kroil. Not many of these around and may be worth more than we think. Seems anything from Colt is bringing good money these days. Again a nice find in any condition.

PAPA G and ChaZam like this.
  7. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yes it likely has some value. That value would probably be diminished considerably by aggressive cleaning and rust removal. I would see if I could find someone with knowledge in that field before getting carried away with it. Having said that I would also be careful not to let someone take advantage of you due to your lack of 1st hand experience with potentially collectible antiques.

PAPA G and mauser9 like this.
  8. ryan_h

ryan_h G&G Addict

Ohio
    Thanks for the info guys, I thought about trying to lightly brush the rust of with steel wool but I'm not to certain. I tried the steel wool on another old rusty shotgun and it seemed to work fine without taking off any of the original bluing. I will defiantly try to consult someone who knows more about it than i do before trying it myself.

PAPA G, ChaZam and swedesrus like this.
  9. NO !..............It might be worth more like it is !................

PAPA G likes this.
  10. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Very true swedesrus. Was suggesting it might be possible to make it look more presentable by removing some of the damage without ruining collector value any further. I think the guy got a very rare find there and being made by Colt is sure a plus. Love to know more of the history on this one!

11. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

AWWWMAN!!!:mad: I have never found any cool stuff like a firearm in the number of places I have lived in.:(

mauser9 likes this.
  12. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Me neither PAPA. Sure would love to find a 1st Generation Colt Single Action but that ain't likely.

13. ryan_h

ryan_h G&G Addict

Ohio
    Can anyone give me a rough guess as to what value this shotgun in its current state would be?

14. Just put some oil on it, and take to some who really knows !............