need help

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by tommy, Aug 31, 2002.

1. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

hey i know this is off the wall but do any of you know anything about a 95 jeep cherokee. my turn signals went out i checked the fuses and they are good. every thing else works fine . i think it is a relay but where is the relay ? monday i'm goin to take it to a shop to find the problem but i was just goin to give you guys
    a try first. i' can't see under the dash to good cause of my neck. any body got an ideas.:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Doglips

Doglips Guest

Check the bulbs? The cherokee at my work (1996 modle) had some electrical problems being caused by the ignition switch haveing a short.......we never did get the raidio to work but replaceing the switch (ignition) solved most of the other problems.
    Ill admit the only thing I know about the cherokee is from being the one who takes the work one to the shop every week....that thing sucks up a lot of my maintance budget...course its abused to no end.

3. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

hey dog lips you just made my day i didn't say anything about it but my radio cut out the day before .it came back on but the signal lights went out so i say it is probably the ignition switch like you say . this is so wierd but thanks . i got 130.000 miles on it and this is the first time it screwed up. thanks again

4. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Get ready to have it for another 130,000! Worked at the Jeep plant for 15 yrs in security and knew lots of people with them. Its not uncommon for 200,000- 250,000 miles easy!

5. Klaus

Klaus Guest

It sounds like the flasher relay went out. It is normally a little can type thing , maybe 2 inches long and 1 inch diameter. It should have 3 wires on it. It is the thing that makes the clicking noise when you use the turn signal. It should be under the dashboard somewhere. They do wear out and are cheap to replace.

6. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Tommy did you lose all??? the stop light, the running light, and the back up light at the same time???my 95 Chrysler Cirrus did that. ****edest thing, checked power to the light assembly, its good, did an ohms check on the taillight assembly dead. took it all apart, ohm checked bulbs, sockets, and the ribbon cable board all checked good!!! put the stoplight assembly back together, dead. my local friendly Chrysler dealer offered to sell my the whole unit for $200. well $3.00 of stoplight wire, and some soldering, problem solved!!!!:D

7. Chris

Chris G&G Evangelist Staff Member Forum Contributor

Jeep Cherrokees are great trucks, you can easily get 250k out of them, as I have seen them come from junk yards with 100k and finally retired as they hit the 250k mark many a times. I miss the ones I use to be able to drive.

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

I'm not familiar with Cherokees but have you looked for the fuse box under the hood near the firewall...or down by your feet on the wall just left of your feet?. Some vehicles have a fuse box there by your feet.

All this said, I'm guessing Klaus has your problem identified correctly.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.
    Oxford:nod:

9. One more thing to add to everbody elses suggestions. Turn signal switch assembly and wire harness.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2002
  10. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I had the same problem in my '90 Bronco II and a $5 replacement flasher did the trick, as Klaus described.

11. tommy

tommy G&G Enthusiast

all of my other lights work . meaning hazzard /brake/ headlights too just the turn signal went out.i checked all the fuses and they are good under the dash and under the hood.my windshield wipers are on the same switch and they work to. the one thing that got me is under the dash it says that the fuse #8 is for the turn signal but there is no #8 fuse it is emptyand there is no clips there to hold a fuse.:confused: