Need ideas for an 03A3 recoil pad.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Oxford, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

Is there a aftermarket recoil pad for a 03A3. I've made a do-it-yourself pad out of stacking 3 computer mouse pads together but would like to get a more professional looking recoil pad.

2. oldBEAR

oldBEAR G&G Newbie

03A3 Recoil pad

If you don't want a professional gunsmith to install one then I suggest you purchase a slip-on. Cabella's used to sell a leather slip-on that did not detract from the martial looks of the 03A3 . . . and you can take it off when you are done.
    Just a thought.

oldBEAR

3. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

oldBEAR: Guess I should check with my local gunsmith shop on installing the right kind of recoil pad. Got any ideas what would be a fair price for having this done?

I'm guessing this would take about an 1/2 hour's worth of labor plus material. I don't have any idea what the going rate/hr is for labor and the pad I'm guessing would cost around $10-$15. Am I in the ballpark?

The compressed foam from the mouse pad material worked well but looks like hxxx.

Of course, I'll put the original steel butt plate in storage. Never know when I'll want it back on again.

Oxford

Last edited: Mar 26, 2002
  4. oldBEAR

oldBEAR G&G Newbie

Smithy prices?

Oxford,
    Unfortunately, I can't even begin to give you an idea of gunsmith prices. Each region of the country differs. I live in the Pacific Northwest, on the La-La Left side of the state. Smithy prices here are comparable to a plumber or PC repairman (you know ... first born child deal).
    Check out your smith ... most are just working joes who would be happy to help.

oldBEAR

5. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

oldBear: Thanks for the tip. I'll do what you've suggested.

Oxford

6. laudpg

laudpg G&G Newbie

Recoil Pads

I don't mean to offend you.; but I HATE recoil pads. They have ruined more fine rifles and shotguns than anything I can think of. The real problem is that they are totally useless. Maybe they offer some psychological assistance.But that piece of hard rubber whacks you the same as a piece of plastic or metal. I have several guns that have original recoil pads and find that they do NO good at all. It's your rifle and everyone has their own opinion. That's why Howard Johnson made 28 kinds of ice cream.;)

7. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

Laudpg: You could be right but I thought I'd give it a try. I've had rotator cuff surgery recently on my right shoulder and think this might result in a little less pounding on a sore arm. If it doesn't work I can always take it off.

As you implied, if we all liked the same kind of gun/cars/women/etc. there'd be a h--- of a scramble to get them and we'd have a huge shortage of whatever it was. (Don't know if this relates to recoil pads but it adds a little humor to the situation (ha).

You young bucks will find that as you get older you'll start look'in for ways to keep doing what you used to do easily. I'm gett'in in that category quicker than I want to admit.

Oxford

Oxford

8. laudpg

laudpg G&G Newbie

Oxford;
    Where did you get the idea that I'm a young buck.I'm a 63 year old 350 pound wreck. When that gun goes off I don't move. I get every ounce of recoil. The WORST is shooting rifled slugs off a bench.I stuffed a piece of foam rubber inside my shirt and that worked pretty well.
    There is a neat looking U.S. military slip on rubber butt pad with an ordinance bomb on the end that wqould be a great addition to your rifle without any alteration. It may be a collector's item and I don't know what one would cost but I'd keep an eye on ebay or search the web. Hope this helps and thanks for thinking I'm a young buck.

9. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

Laudpg: Anyone under my age is a young buck to me. (ha) I suppose our approx. 24 months age difference at my age of 64 isn't much but lots can happen in that short time. It's strange how this forum's "member" profile moves a person's age up to their upcoming BD. Have you noticed?

Also, I've got a little over 210 lbs of mass behind me when I'm shooting. That's not the issue...the sore arm from the rotator cuff surgery has a way of reminding me to take it easy.

Oxford

10. BKB

BKB G&G Newbie

Texas
    just a word of " try this " . my older brother has a project gun in 7mm mag and needed a stock , bought a ramline and it had a "PACHMAYR DECELERATOR" on it , we thought like you at first . then we shot it. you can sit down and shoot a couple of boxes of hot 140gr and no marks or pain, or headach after . they make pre-formed OR custom.

11. BKB

BKB G&G Newbie

Texas
    sorry i forgot , for about $25 from NATCHEZ

12. Oxford

Oxford Retired Moderator

Hey guys: Enough time has passed now that my "old sore arm" doesn't bother me anymore. I'll probably just go back to the original steel butt plate but thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Oxford :assult:

13. buttons

buttons G&G Newbie

recoil pad

I am always trying to impress everyone on the range. I bring my old bath towel, fold it down, throw it over my shoulder and fire away. I shoot 8MM Mausers and this has stopped my yellow and purple shoulder problem. This with my Scooby Doo ammo bag and my daughters handmade gunsocks. Bye