Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas, i was browsing through the mosin threads last night and found a tutorial on "sizing your bore" it had pictures and was really intresting. i wanted to get started on my bore but i cant find the link anywhere, i cant rember which thread i seen it in lol. sio if you guys can get that link for me that wouldbe awesome. thanks my fello mosineers:headbang:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
It is extremely easy, once you find the egg sinkers. Make sure you lube the sinker before tapping it down the barrel.

Have fun.

Note: Typically if you can see decent rifling you don't need to slug the barrel. I did it once when I first started messing with these old blunderbusses, but now just check the rifling.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Unless you reload there is no need to slug the barrel. Slugging will help you determine whether it would be best bullet size to reload with. If you are just shooting surplus ammo then there is no need to do it.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Unless you reload there is no need to slug the barrel. Slugging will help you determine whether it would be best bullet size to reload with. If you are just shooting surplus ammo then there is no need to do it.
Good point Tex. I have pretty much just standardized my reloading to .310 or .311 bullets (since this is a pretty standard groove diameter except in the M39 @ ~.310), so I haven't run into any accuracy problems. I tried some Hornady .308 HPBT's in a visually good bore and they worked ok as well. The .308's did not seat very tight in the neck and I had one separate in the rifle, so for .308's I recommend crimping.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Good point Tex. I have pretty much just standardized my reloading to .310 or .311 bullets (since this is a pretty standard groove diameter except in the M39 @ ~.310), so I haven't run into any accuracy problems. I tried some Hornady .308 HPBT's in a visually good bore and they worked ok as well. The .308's did not seat very tight in the neck and I had one separate in the rifle, so for .308's I recommend crimping.
Great info Geo. I was starting to think I needed to slug my M39 to make sure I was not shooting too big a bullet diameter and getting too high pressure. When I do the bullet test on my m39 the bullet is WAY out there compared to doing the bullet test on my non counterbored 91/30s. I won't worry about it then and just shoot the thing. I love shooting my m39. Just fits right, feels right....just like squeezing a...well....A YOU KNOW WHAT! LOL!:09:

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
It is extremely easy, once you find the egg sinkers. Make sure you lube the sinker before tapping it down the barrel.

Have fun.

Note: Typically if you can see decent rifling you don't need to slug the barrel. I did it once when I first started messing with these old blunderbusses, but now just check the rifling.
Dont forget to inspect and clean Barrel after you slug it !!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Great info Geo. I was starting to think I needed to slug my M39 to make sure I was not shooting too big a bullet diameter and getting too high pressure. When I do the bullet test on my m39 the bullet is WAY out there compared to doing the bullet test on my non counterbored 91/30s. I won't worry about it then and just shoot the thing. I love shooting my m39. Just fits right, feels right....just like squeezing a...well....A YOU KNOW WHAT! LOL!:09:
If I could only own one MN, it would be the Finn M39. Mine is a tack-driver, and I love the iron sights... accurate as hell.

I have to readjust my ogive lenght for the M39, so I will have custom rounds just for the Finn.

I like my Russians, but the M39 was worth every penny.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I love all 3 of My M39's...I'm a Mosingamist !
Rich
Would love to have three....too many other 'needs'. Like another Enfield, Mauser, Swede....

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
I kinda have one..:sad2:
It's in my fiancee's closet.. :34:

I bought one from Pat Burns, of www.gunsnammo.com/. A 1942 VKT with cool wood and 100% blue. Unfortunately, Pat didn't ship it "Adult Signature Required" and my UPS guy left it on my porch during our Wednesday rain..:bigeyes: I figured he'd ship it Sig Req, and I'd just pick it up at the UPS depot.. He said he doesn't ship them that way unless requested, because it costs more ($3 is cheap insurance, if I order from him again).

Because I was in a hotel room in Hinesville, GA, I had my WONDERFUL woman in my life, drive up to my house and get the gun, and a can of WD40 off my shelf, and take both back home with her..

Her son pulled the gun out of the box and completely lubed down the metal parts of the rifle for me, including a bunch sprayed down the bore. Like I told him, I'd much rather burn up a $2 can of WD40 than have a $300 rifle ruined.. He said the outside of the box was damp, but not wet, and the newspaper in the box was dry.. I still had him use the entire can, just to make sure..

So, I got home from Georgia last night, late, and didn't have time to get down to her house. Today, I'm off to Nevada (Ok, Vegas:09:) for the weekend and won't be home until Sunday night, late..

Maybe I'll get to see my new rifle on Monday?? Oh, and my fiancee, too..:kiss:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks again fellas,

i reload tex but havnt yet got to reload for the mn. so i think this bore slugging exersise will be sweet.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Slugging the bore is actually a time-sink, but if it makes you feel better...

Make sure that you don't turn the lead in the caliper, but take individual quadrent readings.

Have fun.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I kinda have one..:sad2:
It's in my fiancee's closet.. :34:

I bought one from Pat Burns, of www.gunsnammo.com/. A 1942 VKT with cool wood and 100% blue. Unfortunately, Pat didn't ship it "Adult Signature Required" and my UPS guy left it on my porch during our Wednesday rain..:bigeyes: I figured he'd ship it Sig Req, and I'd just pick it up at the UPS depot.. He said he doesn't ship them that way unless requested, because it costs more ($3 is cheap insurance, if I order from him again).

Because I was in a hotel room in Hinesville, GA, I had my WONDERFUL woman in my life, drive up to my house and get the gun, and a can of WD40 off my shelf, and take both back home with her..

Her son pulled the gun out of the box and completely lubed down the metal parts of the rifle for me, including a bunch sprayed down the bore. Like I told him, I'd much rather burn up a $2 can of WD40 than have a $300 rifle ruined.. He said the outside of the box was damp, but not wet, and the newspaper in the box was dry.. I still had him use the entire can, just to make sure..

So, I got home from Georgia last night, late, and didn't have time to get down to her house. Today, I'm off to Nevada (Ok, Vegas:09:) for the weekend and won't be home until Sunday night, late..

Maybe I'll get to see my new rifle on Monday?? Oh, and my fiancee, too..:kiss:
Paper, I hope you enjoy your time in Vegas! I have to admit I am a little jealous! LOL!

I do hope you find your rifle in good shape when you come home. I found that WD40 messed up the finish on my m39 Stock. I shot it, sprayed Windex down the bore, then followed up with WD40. Some of the WD40 Dripped down the outside of the receiver and down the stock. Made a nice little line down the stock. Rubbed some hoppes over the spot and it covered it for the most part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts