Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a friend call yest. and say he found a colt .45 for sale for 450.00
Went and looked at it. Its a 1991 colt slide with a Essex frame. I don't know much about the frames, but a lil TLC would make this piece look really nice. My question is, Is it worth 450.00 with a differant frame and grips?

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Part guns . . .

are often very hard to evaluate even for the very experienced.
Personally, I would pass as even though it might look good you
have no idea of the past history of the parts (so to speak). However, this is a forum and you will receive other opinions. Every coin has two
sides and, yes, the option this is a good buy does exist.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Generally speaking, I wouldn't buy a modified used gun, or rebuild. But hey, somebody here might know more about it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I dont know about the modification but I found this out recently from someone that owns one when asking about mine on another forum. :)

I love mine its a great shooter. The s# of the M1991A1 pistol is a continuation of the last batch of pistols Colt made for WWII. There are the "Government", "Commander", and "Compact" models of M1991A1s and these are strictly commercial pieces. The government model is full size, the commander is a bit shorter, and the compact is the shortest.

There are no online sources of DOM data for these guns or any Colt after about 1985 or so. You'll have to call Colt at 1-800-962-COLT to find out. Luckily this is a service they provide for free over the phone but they will not give you any other info about your gun unless you pay.

Standard 230 gr rounds by Winchester whitebox or American Eagle work well but Federal 185 gr SWC rounds occasionally get hung up on the ramp since the shape of the bullet is too "square" to feed reliably without having some work done to the pistol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks I'll put the question on 1911 forum also. And I'm not to impressed with a kit gun either. With the 1911's I'm not exper. enough to really make a good judgement. but with other kits I have to agree.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'll be the first to admit I'm totally ignorant about such pairings, but a Colt slide on anything else but a Colt frame sends shivers down my spine.

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
When the WWII guns were sent in for arsenal rebuilds, it was common for the pistols to be reassembled with mismatched parts. The guns and parts were built by Colt, Remington Rand, Ithaca, US&S, Singer, and someone else I think. They were built to the same specs so that the parts could all be interchanged in the field as necessary. "Mixmasters" of different parts are pretty common, so I hear.

Now, AFA the Essex frame, I don't know anything about those. But if it was built to the same specs, it might just be OK. Might be worth looking over closely and considering. You'd certainly want to give it a good eyeballin' and function testing, shoot it if you can, have a smith look at it would be best.

Also, go to m1911.org and 1911forum.com, those are two great 1911 sites.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts