Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I generally try and stick to very few calibers as far as my rifles go (can't say that for handguns as I like revolvers). I have a few rounds ;) of 223 and 7.62x39...as well as .308.

I have a few (again) AR-15s, AKs and a couple of .260 Remingtons...I load for the .260s. My question is, since I do not own a semi auto .308 and have a little bit of military ammo for it, do I find an AR-10, or some other semi auto .308, or do I sell the ammo and buy a little more 223/7.62x39 ammo?

I do have a couple of AR-10s made by Bear Creek Arsenal (bought them at $500 when they ran a flash sale to put in the store and sell at fund raisers, sold one last night actually for our Boy's and Girl's Club) in the store. Could always keep one of those?

Should I keep one for when the SHTF making my chances better at finding an ammo I can use since it's a popular round, or do I sell???

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Hold on to it unless you get a chunk of money for it. The odds of needing it for the zombie wars is slim. As long as you have a supply of what you need for your 223 and 7.62 x 39 in the crises scenario, that is what you will use to defend your castle.

By holding it, you have barter or trade material. And if for some reason you need a 308 rifle down the road, they are not hard to find. Ammo us what is hard to find not Guns.

If, on the other hand you have a huge amount, like 1000 rounds, keep that AR 10 and the ammo, they are an investment. Having the gun and the ammo makes them both worth more.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I am right with you, I try to keep the number of rounds i have to stock and feed to firearms to a minimum.

I think if i were you i would hold on to it for a while at this stage, maybe stack up a few more boxes of .308 for it as you see fit.

I am not a fan of bartering or trading firearms or ammo. you never know what the person is going to do with it and last thing i want is to be attacked by a gun i gave someone.

food and water are going to be better for bartering.

its unlikely you will be able to replace that ar-10 for anywhere close to what you paid for this one. so i would hold on to it.

i have abear creek upper( 5.56) and its not the prettiest but it works.

long story short, i'd hold onto it. you may never "need it" but it sure will be nice to have if you ever do!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Best thing about 308 is that it tends to pin down its target better than 223. I love my 556 AT, it's intended purpose of "havoc in a hurry" (LOL! I love that!) is perfect but IMOO, the 308 is a better hard and soft target round.

I don't really understand this push for the "next bestest" small arms weaponry. I get the science but really, what is the huge overbearing advantage of the 308 vs 6.8 that's on the table? Big 30 cals (🤔) have kept us safe in battle before, they can do it again, whithout reinventing the wheel.

But, WTFDIK?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Best thing about 308 is that it tends to pin down its target better than 223. I love my 556 AT, it's intended purpose of "havoc in a hurry" (LOL! I love that!) is perfect but IMOO, the 308 is a better hard and soft target round.

I don't really understand this push for the "next bestest" small arms weaponry. I get the science but really, what is the huge overbearing advantage of the 308 vs 6.8 that's on the table? Big 30 cals (🤔) have kept us safe in battle before, they can do it again, whithout reinventing the wheel.

But, WTFDIK?

Lethality at longer range.

who doesn't want more range at the same ( or less) weight?

·
Registered
69 Posts
At what point do you really think you need a weapon that has a greater leathal range than 300 yards in a domestic setting?

I have access to and unlimited use of a Barrett, but realistically, I can see no scenario where I can use it to it's potential.

Dreams.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
I have close range, mid-range, and out to 300 yards covered. Don't have any plans to shoot beyond 300 yards, but circumstances will dictate the appropriate response.
Also, If I ever decide to sell one of my ARs, I won't be alone and I will have removed the firing pin, BCG, or charging handle and have it in a zip lock bag. They can install it themselves - just in case they were carrying a loaded magazine with intent to turn the tables in their favor. This gives you time to put a little distance between you and them. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
well.
hmmm.
you can only shoot one at a time.
as an only one the 308 really is without peer for 1-300yds.
the problem is if your AR-10 breaks a spring or pin or something super simple getting a new part is gonna be about 900 times harder than for a 15.
that of course can be said about a ruger or remington 700.
but your chances of finding a ruger or 700 in 308 is 100 times higher than finding one in 260 rem. too.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
you can only shoot one at a time.
as an only one the 308 really is without peer for 1-300yds.
That's why I have extra for when the family get's together ;)
As for the .308 Win, I do agree. That's the Ruger I bought.
Wood Trigger Font Rectangle Magenta

As for AR-15 parts, I have extra parts kits, and two extra complete BCGs, extra firing pins, cotter pins, and compression rings. And a partridge in a pear tree...it's a christmas ornament but I know where it is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
@Wicked109 is that the American? And how well of an "all 'round" rifle is it, for you?

Hear horror stories now and again...

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
@Wicked109 is that the American? And how well of an "all 'round" rifle is it, for you?
It's the Ruger M77 Target/Varmint model laminated stock, semi matt stainless steel medium contour barrel and so much fun to shoot. 168gr A-Max, 42gr IMR3031 CCI primers. IMHO, it's heavy to carry so I would use it from a stand or cover (not hiking alot).
Daughter bought the Ruger American in .308 for N. American game hunting and she loves it. It came with a threaded barrel so I bought her a muzzle brake. She's 5'4" and can carry it without issue, shoot it all day, and buys 180gr Large Game ammo for it. Bear, Elk, Deer. I will tell you when I get to shoot it, I really like it and would buy one if I didn't already own a 300 WSM WBY Vanguard that fills the exact same Large Game requirements.
MiketheTraveler best of luck on your quest for a .308. My personal feelings, you would have a trusted firearm with the Ruger American that would fill the category of "all 'round" rifle. As with any firearm, you will find people that have good things or bad things to say, you have to pick through the bones to get to the meat. Your opinion is the only one that counts.
I will share that my criteria is Price, crisp trigger that breaks clean and has a reasonable trigger pull (or adjustable), smooth action/bolt (try another rifle same brand because a different person probably assembled it and checked it), When you are satisfied, buy it and take it home.
And Pictures along with a range report...we'll be waiting.

·
Premium Member
5,885 Posts
I have scoped 98 Mausers in 6.5X55, 308 Win, and 30-06 for extended range engagements, that all shoot 1 MOA or better and a good supply of ammo for each. Also have spare parts for them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts