Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am looking for a really quiet .22 lr round i am thinking about trying some .22-sss bullets looks like 2/3s of it is the bullet and a 1/3 is the case but is there any others??

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Aguila Super Colibri, which are made by the same company as those SSS rounds are quiet. Not any louder than a pellet gun.

They are powered by the primer only, no powder. You have to be somewhat careful about shooting them in long barreled rifles. They can get stuck in the barrel, causing obvious problems.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just a side note, the super colibri's will not cycle a semi auto weapon, and they will in fact get stuck in long barrelled rifles.BUT! They have the coolness factor of being very very quiet, I shoot them in my Henry lever .22 rifle without issue.It really sounds like a suppressed rifle.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,987 Posts
Colibri and Super Colibri are nearly silent in a bolt-action rifle. The regular Colibri may stick in a particularly tight bore or a dirty one. Super Colibri has shown me no sign of doing this.
Neither is extremely accurate though, especially over 25 yards. The CCI CB Long is supposed to be nearly as quiet and more accurate. My barrel-cocking air rifle is MUCH louder than either of these primer-only rounds.
In a handgun, the short barrel, and either cylinder gap or slide-opening action make them much louder than in a rifle.
Revolvers and lever-action carbines are the best platform for the Super Colibri.
My Henry loves them too!

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
I've had very good luck with Remington Sub Sonics in some of my rifles. They're quiet and in some of my guns, the most accurate round they fire.. (depending on the lot number, of course)..

CCI CB Caps, or shorts are very quiet also, but it depends on whether or not your gun will cycle them.. Most (but not all) bolt action guns will run them..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm new to this subsonics issue, but curious and very interested. My understanding has been that a heavier bullet is used to bring down the velocity, but now I see that just the cap is used to reduce the sound.

Under what conditions, why and for what reason would you want to use a subsonic? I understand that backyard shooting might be one reason, if you don't want to alarm the neighbors...or maybe you want to assasinate somebody without being heard

But why risk getting a bullet stuck in the bore? I'm not being critical, just curious. Thanks.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
I use the caps for when I'm shooting gophers in my local cemetary (yes, I have permission) and don't want to risk the bullets flying off or taking a chance of chipping a stone..

As far as subsonics, I have a couple .22's that prefer them over standard or high velocity rounds. I try to shoot the gun with ammo it likes, and a couple like Remington Subsonic.. They're regular long rifle rounds, but they're just under the speed of sound.. They still make a mess of a squirrel or rabbit, too..:)

·
36,987 Posts
Most "Subsonics" will not stick in the rifle bore, they are plenty fast to prevent that.
The whole "sticks in the bore" thing is blown out of proportion - the company puts that warning on their boxes for legal reasons, just in case. I've been shooting Colibri and Super Colibri for several years, and have run through many bricks of them. Only ONCE did a Colibri stick int he tight bore of my Winchester 75T target rifle. Not the usual kind of gun one uses them in, to begin with - but I'm funny that way. I even shoot them in my BSA Mk.II British target rifle - a fourteen pound monster of a single-shot match rifle!
I get the wierdest looks from other shooters. They see me going through the motions of shooting - load, pull trigger, open lever, load, etc. But they hear nothing . . . :)
I once was shooting them in my old .22 revolver - "tink!, tink!" Guy asks me what kind of pellet pistol I'm shooting? I quickly switch in the .22 Magnum cylinder, "BANG!" "A very good one!", I said. Hehehe.

The Colibris are limited in velocity, which is good for neighborhood use. A cardboard box filled with rags is fine for a backstop. The Sniper Subsonic is a different story - it'll go a good ways. Treat it like ANY .22 round! It is great for smaller varmints, up to **** and Possum size. That heavy bullet is superb for killing them without making a lot of noise. But they do make enough noise that a neighbor would hear it.

·
Premium Member
30,730 Posts
rem subsonics for p-dogs.
i dont have to use them but my buddies dog is afraid of gunfire so i do it for the old boy.(the dog not my buddy!)

·
Registered
631 Posts
If you were to dispense of a feral cat say standing inside shooting out a 2nd story window into the woods but did not want the neighbors to hear. Pellet gun or Super Colibri to in sure the job. I am not for killing animals like cats and such but these are a problem and causing damage to vehicles and such, the local animal control will do nothing. This is a last ditch effort.

·
Registered
406 Posts
MMEEEOOOOWWWW, Splat! I am just kidding. I do know what you mean SS I have had trouble in my backyard with Rabbits. If I step in another hole in my yard I am going to resort to removing them from the circle of life. Cats can really mess up the paint on a car though. Scratches and such.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a benjamin sheridan .22 pellet rifle but I would like to be as human as possible and if I can stand just inside my window and pop one with a .22 I will do that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an update on the Aguila SSS sniper subsonic,

cycles fine in the walther PPS. Equally loud as the standard velocity .22lr though. No difference in sound.

granted, the barrel size is a factor.

curious, has anyone found ammo that cycles in the PPS and is somewhat quiet? rem subsonic maybe? a fake supressor to add barrel length? i live in an urban area and the only thing my plinker does is collect dust. would love to shoot it!

anyone? please!

·
Banned
2,594 Posts
CCI Subsonics are pretty quiet. I took em to the range once and the guy next to me using a .22LR asked what I was using cause he could barely hear them while his were so much louder.

·
36,987 Posts
The SSS cycles my Whitney Wolverine pistol fine, but the short case causes problems in my Buckmark.
ANY subsonic .22 round will be more noisy in a semiauto, due to the slide opening and gas escaping - same for the cylinder gap in a revolver. The short barrels also contribute. But you won't get the "crack!" of the high velocity loads.
One quick shot, a neighbor likely won't take much notice. Go 'postal' on those feral cats, you will be talking to Johnny Law...... :eek5:
Good reason to invest in a good cheap .22LR bolt rifle! With the Colibri or CB Cap, all you hear is the fall of the firing pin! And the 'whack!' of the hit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts