close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some diagnostic help with my SA Garand

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by killsnapz, Jun 8, 2014.

1. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Looking for some ideas as to why I am having slight problems with my Garand. I am pretty sure both problems are the same issue but here they are.

When inserting a new enbloc it has to pushed down with great force before it will finally lock into place. It cycles just fine strips each round of and feeds and fires then the second issue occurs after the last of the 8 round is fire. The enblock sounds off with its typical loud ping but does not even come close to ejecting itself from the rifle.

It had one other oddity to it that I do not see on other Garands. Once you get the enblock lock in the rifle most M1 Garand only need a light bump upwards and slightly forward to release the Op Rod. My rifle requires a decent amount of backwards pressure first then it slides forward. Does anyone else's Garand Op Rod act like this. I have watched tons of video and I have never seen one act like mind.
    Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

2. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Before doing anything else you need todo a detail srtip, clean and properly grease the rifle. Also check to see if the clip ejector spring is broken. Replace op rod spring with one from Orion 7
    Take rifle to range and report back

Capt'n Mil Coll likes this.

3. HK770

HK770 G&G Enthusiast

4. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thanks. I read the post a few down from mine after I posted and I saw the clip spring problem. The op rod is lube op with the proper Lubriplate grease but I will tear it down all the way and double check everything. I actually have the manual specified Lubriplate grease because I have used it all my life on automotive and truck drum brakes.it is specified to be applied to the backing plate on drum brakes where the shoes rub on them. Think I'm just going top buy a new spring and clip that way when I tear it down I'll have what I need to put it right back together. Thanks again!

5. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thanks again Orlando! Just ordered a new op rod spring, clip ejector spring extractor spring clip latch spring and finally a new clip latch pin. They have a $20 dollar minimum so I figured I might as well replace all of the springs anyway. I'l let you know what happens at the range in a couple of weeks buddy!

Michael

Capt'n Mil Coll likes this.
  6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Good to see you posting here on G&G Michael and good luck getting your Garand sorted out...

7. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thanks Chazam. I was out of action for quite some time. A fractured neck and a major heath issue sidelined me for a very long time. Finally this spring I grabbed my buddy and said lets get our pistol permits. He said cool and we took a private class opening weekend and had a good time. Got my temp permit Tuesday and heading off later this week to get my picture taken and my carry ID! I'm back! Good to hear from you old buddy!

Michael

ChaZam likes this.
  8. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
  9. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

Thanks again Orlando. I have an old book from the 50's titled "The M1 Rifle" I'm sure you have it to no doubt. It is a wealth of knowledge on the M1

Michael

10. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

My order shipped already from Orion 7. I did not know they were so close to me here in Connecticut. The parts should be here tomorrow UPS!

ChaZam likes this.
  11. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

All the parts I needed arrived yesterday for the Garand. Now I just need to finish the several vintage Seiko watches I have apart for repair before I clear it off to replace the springs on the Garand and give it a good lube. Orion 7 was awesome!

12. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

Glad to see you are back, Michael !